Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a middle-end PC

Options
  • 17-06-2012 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello guys, after about 5 years of good service my AB9pro decided to finaly die.
    SIne this is as good time as anything to get a full upgrade and I have about 600 to spare on a new shiny computah I decided to get a new one!

1. What is your budget?
    About 600 quid.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming and a bit of CAD work.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    I dont use cases or optical drives and I have a hiper 580W PSU from the old build so all I need is ram/motherboard/processor and videocard
    5. Do you need a monitor?
    Nope, have 2 1280*1024 ones and are pretty satisfied with them.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    Not plannin on upgrading, 2x 1280*1024
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    Have everything I need (over the years I haven't managed to find a better combo than first gen wired sidewinder and dell's standart dome-switch keyboard)
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Yes
    8. How can you pay?
    Any method will do. Can even pay in bitcoins.
    9. When are you purchasing?
    Within the next 2 weeks
    10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    Can build it myself

I was thinking about getting this
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-intel-performance-bundle--includes-p8z77-v-lx--intel-core-i5-2500k---8gb-ddr3--82MC.html?q=2500k&src=16
    and this
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-ati-radeon-7850-870mhz-2gb-pci-express-3-0-hdmi-directcu-ii-818Z.html?q=HD7850&src=16
    But was wondering if I'm overpaying for the ivy bridge mobo with a sandy bridge PC and for the GAYMUR ram instead of good old hynix (or its rebranded compatriot- G.Skill)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

This is cheaper:

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€209.99
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€91.79
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€37.72
    Sapphire HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€225.28
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€583.77

EDIT: If you don't already have one I'd really recommend an SSD, like the Samsung 830.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pablo458

Is there any significance in cooling systems between the sapphire HD 7850 and Asus's HD 7850? IIRC Asus has a higher stock o/c rate, is that the onl difference between them?
    Also about the 3570k vs 2500k
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-core-i7-3770k,3198-14.html
    Oh and would you happen to know if its possible to buy OEM versions of processors somewhere in Ireland/that ships to ireland? I throw away the stock coolers anyway, I have a strong feeling I'm overpaying something like 20 quid for them with the retail versions of CPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

pablo458 wrote: »
    Is there any significance in cooling systems between the sapphire HD 7850 and Asus's HD 7850? IIRC Asus has a higher stock o/c rate, is that the onl difference between them?
    Also about the 3570k vs 2500k
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-core-i7-3770k,3198-14.html
    Oh and would you happen to know if its possible to buy OEM versions of processors somewhere in Ireland/that ships to ireland? I throw away the stock coolers anyway, I have a strong feeling I'm overpaying something like 20 quid for them with the retail versions of CPUs.
    I think the Sapphire cooler is better, but they are both great. I wouldn't really take stock O/C into consideration, as overclocking these graphics cards can bring them over 1.1ghz easily.

As for 2500k vs 3570k it's personal opinion. The only reason I would go Ivy is the superiority clock-for-clock and it's lower power draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pablo458

Thanks, got exactly the config you mentioned plus Thermalright HR-02 Macho as a cooler and Arctic MX-2 as thermal compound.

Advertisement