Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Music 2012

• 17-06-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

ok i have two questions and few opinions would be much appreciated!

1) for the irish music "mini essay" questions on listening paper. for my mock i wrote about sean nos singing- i filled up the space, had personal engagement, named a performer AND named songs and had all the relevant information but it was mark "7-2" so i got 5out of 10??? can anyone explain this to me? what do i need to do to get the 10 out of 10??

2)is anyone learning of a melodic composition and just changing it slightly for the question??

thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spouch

ok i have two questions and few opinions would be much appreciated!

1) for the irish music "mini essay" questions on listening paper. for my mock i wrote about sean nos singing- i filled up the space, had personal engagement, named a performer AND named songs and had all the relevant information but it was mark "7-2" so i got 5out of 10??? can anyone explain this to me? what do i need to do to get the 10 out of 10??

2)is anyone learning of a melodic composition and just changing it slightly for the question??

thank you!

If you didnt get full marks for the Irish music mini essay then you must have misread the question- it might have been looking for something specific and you gave general. It's hard to know without seeing it. Either that or the marker was an ass.

For melody that can work but you'll get a b at the very very maximum- if it happens to fit very well with what you're given. Practice being flexible with it. Always use the same structure but be flexible with the content.

I'm a teacher btw. Pm me if you'd like my website address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Spouch wrote: »
    If you didnt get full marks for the Irish music mini essay then you must have misread the question- it might have been looking for something specific and you gave general. It's hard to know without seeing it. Either that or the marker was an ass.

For melody that can work but you'll get a b at the very very maximum- if it happens to fit very well with what you're given. Practice being flexible with it. Always use the same structure but be flexible with the content.

Spouch, do you mind me asking you how to answer the essay types? I do music outside school, and we haven't done an essay and I would love to know how to layout the answer as I desperately need an A1! :L Thanks in advance! :):D

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Spouch, do you mind me asking you how to answer the essay types? I do music outside school, and we haven't done an essay and I would love to know how to layout the answer as I desperately need an A1! :L Thanks in advance! :):D

Sure. The key is to remember it's not an essay question soi forget about stucture and fancy english. Bullet points would actually be acceptable. Click here for a breakdown and advice

Sure. The key is to remember it's not an essay question soi forget about stucture and fancy english. Bullet points would actually be acceptable. Click here for a breakdown and advice

Cool! Thanks Spouch!

Also, If you don't mind me asking one last question if that is ok?

In a minor melody composition, is it ok to end on a picardy third? I'm good at the composing questions ( I got 88% grade 8 theory) and I enjoy the composition questions, but would they deduct marks if you end they minor on a picardy third? It just makes everything sound more rounded and more full after the minor tone. I prefer it anyway! Or should I just write beside it that it is a*picardy third* if it's allowed on the paperand a regular "minor" third if it isn't allowed?

Am, to be honest I can't see what ya did wrong? I did basically the same thing in my mock but got 10 for it? If ya want I can put it up here for ya to see it, it was the one about Sean Nós? And yeah, I've learned off a sequence and ending for the composing, except it probably won't work if it's minor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ashalingable

Gaels9_ wrote: »
    Am, to be honest I can't see what ya did wrong? I did basically the same thing in my mock but got 10 for it? If ya want I can put it up here for ya to see it, it was the one about Sean Nós? And yeah, I've learned off a sequence and ending for the composing, except it probably won't work if it's minor?
    Yeah please do :) I've learnt a minor melody because that's what's predicted I'm just winging it if it's a major :P

Cool! Thanks Spouch!

In a minor melody composition, is it ok to end on a picardy third? I'm good at the composing questions ( I got 88% grade 8 theory) and I enjoy the composition questions, but would they deduct marks if you end they minor on a picardy third? It just makes everything sound more rounded and more full after the minor tone. I prefer it anyway! Or should I just write beside it that it is a*picardy third* if it's allowed on the paperand a regular "minor" third if it isn't allowed?

If you know what you're doing I can't see it being a problem. I dunno if the lads down in examiner central have a policy on it though. They're an odd bunch.

tbh if you're comfortable enough with the likes of picardy thirds it's likely that you'll write a technically fab and creatively funky melody without such "fancy gimmicks".

Checka the chief examiners reports on www.examinations.ie (2003 and 2007) one of them has sample melodies - see how similar yours is to the highest marked.

Hope that helps

does anyone know where are what cadences are used in the /harmonychord bank? question 5??
    help :(

Cool! Thanks Spouch!

If you know what you're doing I can't see it being a problem. I dunno if the lads down in examiner central have a policy on it though. They're an odd bunch.

tbh if you're comfortable enough with the likes of picardy thirds it's likely that you'll write a technically fab and creatively funky melody without such "fancy gimmicks".

Checka the chief examiners reports on www.examinations.ie (2003 and 2007) one of them has sample melodies - see how similar yours is to the highest marked.

Hope that helps

Cool. Thanks. Will check it out. I'll probably leave it out just incase. =) Thank you!

does anyone know where are what cadences are used in the /harmonychord bank? question 5??
    help :(

Have a look at page 6 of these notes
    You may find page 5 useful too

• Advertisement

Yeah please do :) I've learnt a minor melody because that's what's predicted I'm just winging it if it's a major :P

Yep no problem :)

Sean Nós is a highly skilled, ornamented style of singing which differs from non-traditional in a number of ways: 1.) The singer sings without accompaniment. 2.) The words are considered to be more important than the music. All the verses are sung and the melody is altered and varied according to the individual taste of each singer. 3.) Sean Nós singers break the tempo very freely. 4.) The voice quality of the traditional singer is quite unlike that of the trained singer. He or she often sing with a nasal tone quality and does not use dynamic effects. 5.) Important notes in the song are lengthened and these are generally associated with important words. 6.) The Sean Nós singer often speaks the last few words of the song instead of singing them, particularly when singing humourous songs. 7.) The singer puts his/her own stamp on the song with the use of ornamentation. There are three different kinds of ornamentation in Sean Nós: Embellishments, melodic variation and rhythmic variation. In Sean Nós singing, there is no definite way of singing any given tune. It can differ from singer to singer, and even then, no singer would sing a tune the same way twice. Therefore, Sean Nós is inevitably down to the singer's own interpretation. The best performers are those who can vary songs and use ornamentation at will. Also, Sean Nós is divided into different regional styles: Conemara,Donegal, and Munster being the most notable. Conemara singers tend to use quite a lot of ornamentation, such as Seasamh O hÉanaigh and Seán Mac Donnacha. In contrast to this, Donegal singers tend to use very little or no ornamentation. Famous singers from this region are Doiminic Mac Goilla Bhríde and Lilis O Laighre. Finally, Munster singers are the closest to classical singers of all the regions and tend to use ornamentation in moderation. The most prominent singers from this region would be Nioclás Tóibín and Áine Uí Cheallaigh.

Yeah same as, if the minor melody doesn't come up I'll go daft :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bohemian rhapsody

I did electric guitar in practical.Chose this also in higher elective.So hopefully have 30 % already. I am doing this myself outside school.I haven't done any theory but know a little melody / harmony.As well as this what would I need to study for C3 Higher .I can read music well.would really appreciate help .Cheers!!!

Yep no problem :)

Sean Nós is a highly skilled, ornamented style of singing which differs from non-traditional in a number of ways: 1.) The singer sings without accompaniment. 2.) The words are considered to be more important than the music. All the verses are sung and the melody is altered and varied according to the individual taste of each singer. 3.) Sean Nós singers break the tempo very freely. 4.) The voice quality of the traditional singer is quite unlike that of the trained singer. He or she often sing with a nasal tone quality and does not use dynamic effects. 5.) Important notes in the song are lengthened and these are generally associated with important words. 6.) The Sean Nós singer often speaks the last few words of the song instead of singing them, particularly when singing humourous songs. 7.) The singer puts his/her own stamp on the song with the use of ornamentation. There are three different kinds of ornamentation in Sean Nós: Embellishments, melodic variation and rhythmic variation. In Sean Nós singing, there is no definite way of singing any given tune. It can differ from singer to singer, and even then, no singer would sing a tune the same way twice. Therefore, Sean Nós is inevitably down to the singer's own interpretation. The best performers are those who can vary songs and use ornamentation at will. Also, Sean Nós is divided into different regional styles: Conemara,Donegal, and Munster being the most notable. Conemara singers tend to use quite a lot of ornamentation, such as Seasamh O hÉanaigh and Seán Mac Donnacha. In contrast to this, Donegal singers tend to use very little or no ornamentation. Famous singers from this region are Doiminic Mac Goilla Bhríde and Lilis O Laighre. Finally, Munster singers are the closest to classical singers of all the regions and tend to use ornamentation in moderation. The most prominent singers from this region would be Nioclás Tóibín and Áine Uí Cheallaigh.

Yeah same as, if the minor melody doesn't come up I'll go daft :p

Thanks for that :) so basically write points rather than an essay style? and everything will be grrraaaaaaaand? :D (i hope) : /

Thanks for that :) so basically write points rather than an essay style? and everything will be grrraaaaaaaand? :D (i hope) : /
    Yeah I think so anyway, worked for me! Ah don't worry it'll be sound, it's only worth 10 marks anyway! :) And plus it's the last test, so after that I'm just gonna forget about it and relax :p

this is totally off the topic....BUT OH MY GOD I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS EXAM TO BE OVER AND TO ENJOY SUMMER!!!! :D:D:D:D and i hope it goes ok for everyone (including myself) : / :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tara23buy

Please check out my website! It has a forum dedicated entirely to the Music Leaving Cert.
    http://leavingcertmusiconline.com

Advertisement