Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

W4nkers!

• 17-06-2012 12:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0617/breaking84.html
    80,000 to attend Croke Park Mass

Gardaí are to mount a major traffic control operation around Dublin’s Croke Park today, as 80,000 participants arrive for the closing ceremony of the Eucharistic Congress.
    As of Friday, all but 1,000 tickets for positions in the higher stands had been sold and a capacity crowd is expected to start arriving as soon as gates open at about 11am. Tickets for the Mass cost €10.
    The Statio Orbis Liturgy Mass at 1pm will be celebrated by the papal legate, Cardinal Marc Ouellet. It will include a pre-recorded address from Pope Benedict XVI.
    RTÉ and cable and satellite stations Salt and Light Television and EWTN will broadcast the Mass on television and online.
    The organisers have warned participants there is no coach parking at Croke Park. In conjunction with the Garda a drop-off/parking/ collection permit system for those attending the ceremonies has been arranged.
    Permits were issued to 250 coaches already registered for coach parking. Those who did not receive a parking permit should arrange with their drivers to drop off and collect pilgrim groups from public transport points at the city limits. Bus, rail, Dart and Luas all offer services to within walking distance of the stadium, the organisers said.
    Croke Park has facilities and dedicated seating for those with special needs as well as wheelchair access.
    For those travelling to Dublin by car, gardaí have issued reminders that the stadium is situated in a residential area that has limited parking and which will be subject to access restrictions.
    A cordon restricting access to locals only will be in operation from early morning at the following locations:
    * Lower Drumcondra Road/ Clonliffe Road junction, Fitzroy Avenue and Whitworth Place;
    * North Circular Road/ Belvedere Road;
    * North Circular Road/Gills Corner, Jones Road;
    * North Circular Road/North Great Charles Street;
    * Clonliffe Road/Ballybough (Sackville Ave, Clonliffe Avenue, O’Sullivan Avenue).
    Supervised car parking is available at Clonliffe College via Drumcondra Road Lower, offering 3,100 spaces, with 100 reserved for those with special needs.
    Further supervised parking is available at O’Connell’s School off North Circular Road, but this offers just 400 parking places.
    When the event finishes at 5pm traffic management plans will be in place for a further two hours, with a number of road closures, and motorists have been asked to avoid the area.
    The city council operates a pay and display system for on-street parking in most areas.

It's so sickening to think so many still remain in the clutches of such a repugnant organisation.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Is the word '****' not allowed on Boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It's spelled wanKers

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Is there nothing to be said for another mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

I think it's great. What's wrong with a nice big mass?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Lord Bafford

Is the word '****' not allowed on Boards?

I'm pretty sure it gets blanked out.

Says a lot about the site really. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

What is your problem with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Thats a hell of a lot of ignorance packed into one place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Who cares? If you aren't religious don't go. Let other people do what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

****. Nope, nothing blocked out.

Meh, I don't see how believing in god makes someone deserving of being insulted. A lot of them are old people who take comfort in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's so sickening to think so many still remain in the clutches of such a repugnant organisation.:mad:
    You're sickened because a few Catholics have come to pray together?

Most people aren't there to celebrate the institution (Or at least they shouldn't be), they're there to practice their faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'm pretty sure it gets blanked out.

It's not actually.

Says a lot about you, really. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Why the need to be so smug and superior

If you've no interest in attending then just leave the subject alone

Why is it that those who claim to oppose organized religion the most are the same people who won't shut up about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Youre really just upset because you couldn't get tickets, right OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

I think it's great. What's wrong with a nice big mass?

Although €10 is a bit steep for mass. Then again I suppose they can't really pass a basket around a stadium so you'd save a bob or two on the Offertory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I equate a lot of atheists to religious fanatics. They are equally as loud and annoying and can't seem to able to tolerate anyone of a different opinion.

Who cares? If you aren't religious don't go. Let other people do what they want.

I wouldnt have issue with them doing it but it surprises me too that this disgusting organisation still has people enthralled.

If this was one guy in the street praying and moaning about nonsense you'd say "nutter". Gather them all in a church and it doesnt lessen the absurdity of the thing. Gather 80k into a stadium and its mind bogglingly absurd. To me its rather discomforting the sheer scale of people who believe this nonsense and happily take their cue from one of the most despicable organisations that has ever existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

What exactly is wrong with it? It's not compulsary for anyone to attend, people are free to believe or not, freedom of choice, why should that sicken you OP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Will the priest be outside after to shake everyone's hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

What's your problem?! :confused: People are fully entitled to believe what they want, and to practice whatever faith they choose to (if any.) No one is making you attend, so why does it affect you?

galwayrush wrote: »
    What exactly is wrong with it? It's not compulsary for anyone to attend, people are free to believe or not, freedom of choice, why should that sicken you OP ?

I find it very depressing that the church still has the power to attract an 80,000 strong crowd.

It sends a clear message that the recent disclosures mean nothing.

It seems nothing can turn people off the vile institution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

LordSmeg wrote: »
    I wouldnt have issue with them doing it but it surprises me too that this disgusting organisation still has people enthralled.

If this was one guy in the street praying and moaning about nonsense you'd say "nutter". Gather them all in a church and it doesnt lessen the absurdity of the thing. Gather 80k into a stadium and its mind bogglingly absurd. To me its rather discomforting the sheer scale of people who believe this nonsense and happily take their cue from one of the most despicable organisations that has ever existed.

It's a cult full of people who fear the very person who us supposed to love them.

I find it very depressing that the church still has the power to attract an 80,000 strong crowd.

It sends a clear message that the recent disclosures mean nothing.

Drink attracts a lot more and has been the cause of far worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I find it very depressing that the church still has the power to attract an 80,000 crowd.

It sends a clear message that the recent discloses mean nothing.

Apparently there was 1 milion at the last one, so that's a massive drop.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Well I detest the organisation and I'm an atheist but I saw clips from it and the people being interviewed were old and really sweet and seemed to absolutely love the prayers and whatnot, and were moved and in tears and so on. It's like a big Lourdes or Knock or something - I think it's good that it brought a bit of happiness to some people. My gran believes god loves her and it has gotten her through a lot - I disagree with her but seeing as it brings her so much comfort and happiness, let it be.

It's not a worshipping of the institution, it's a worshipping of god - by people who happen to be catholic.

It's a cult full of people who fear the very person who us supposed to love them.

Sounds like Stockholm syndrome, falling in love with the person you fear. Priests hold entire parishes hostage with threats of eternal damnation. Bleed them dry every weekend then selling top tips on how not to piss off the big fella because he's a mean and nasty being when angry (check bible for nastiness) but dont worry !! He loves ya, he'll mind ya and give you everything you ever wanted. For a lifetime of obedience and a few donations of course.

py2006 wrote: »
    Drink attracts a lot more and has been the cause of far worse.

That's a completely irrelevant point in the context of this thread.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Thread title is so 1337.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TossL1916

A disgusting organisation? What a very small minority of the Church's members did, does not not represent the majority of its members or what they believe in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

MassStock 2012
    Get there early to get your wristbands for the pitt!!!!

• Advertisement

Onixx wrote: »
    Well I detest the organisation and I'm an atheist but I saw clips from it and the people being interviewed were old and really sweet and seemed to absolutely love the prayers and whatnot, and were moved and in tears and so on. It's like a big Lourdes or Knock or something - I think it's good that it brought a bit of happiness to some people. My gran believes god loves her and it has gotten her through a lot - I disagree with her but seeing as it brings her so much comfort and happiness, let it be.

It's not a worshipping of the institution, it's a worshipping of god - by people who happen to be catholic.

But it doesn't stop with the old.

The majority of children born will be baptised, communionsied and confimationised.

What a sick country.

That's a completely irrelevant point in the context of this thread.:rolleyes:

Not really, you just didn't understand the point.

But it doesn't stop with the old.

The majority of children born will be baptised, communionsied and confimationised.

What a sick country.

Are they even words? haha

In fairness, being baptised etc doesn't cause them any harm or indeed make any difference to their lives if they choose not to be religious later in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

MassStock 2012
    Get there early to get your wristbands for the pitt!!!!
    Stay away from the brown acid alter wine.

TossL1916 wrote: »
    A disgusting organisation? What a very small minority of the Church's members did, does not not represent the majority of its members or what they believe in.

The Roman Catholic church does actually represent what its members believe in. They believe these clowns are god representatives on earth. They rape children, the higher ups cover it up and do nothing to stop it. How the hell can this not be a reflection on the organisation and those involved in it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,355 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I won't be able to drive home after work without taking a massive detour. Roads closed for bleedin' cat licks...

That's why they're w4nkers. Or however we're spelling it these days....

Oh, that and because there's no god, and they're gathering to chant nonsense at each other. I wouldn't mind for a match.

At least they won't be pissing in peoples gardens, I suppose. Well, the continent ones won't anyway....

• Advertisement

TossL1916 wrote: »

It was not a small minority! And the upper echelons were fully aware of the abuse and attempted to cover it up.

Fully supported by your wretched ruling political classes to boot.

The Roman Catholic church does actually represent what its members believe in. They believe these clowns are god representatives on earth. They rape children, the higher ups cover it up and do nothing to stop it. How the hell can this not be a reflection on the organisation and those involved in it ?

Eh slow down there....THEY don't!! Some have.

Are they even words? haha

In fairness, being baptised etc doesn't cause them any harm or indeed make any difference to their lives if they choose not to be religious later in life.

Wrong!

It means the church can point out they have x amount of Catholic soldiers and use that as a mandate to continue perpetuating misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I equate a lot of atheists to religious fanatics. They are equally as loud and annoying and can't seem to able to tolerate anyone of a different opinion.

RABBLE RABBLE!! :pac:

I don't mind really, as long as they are not forcing their beliefs on anyone else.
    If they are not, let them have as many get togethers as they want.
    Or masses.

And they respond how....?

The RC church is a filthy anachronism.

• Advertisement

A lot did and it was allowed to happen by the organisation. It wasnt stopped, in some cases priests were moved from parish to parish which actually facilitated it to a certain degree.

So dont give me that shít, the organisation is responsible for the actions of its members when they are put in those positions. And the organisation allowed it to happen time and time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You'll put yourself in an early grave OP with all this stressing you are doing
    Not sure where we will bury you, not in a graveyard anyway

Go in peace :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Scrag

The Service is there for those who want to go. Many people in Ireland are rightfully angry and disgusted by events which have come to light recently in the form of child abuse.
    It might be well to reflect on the fact that the Catholic Church did not bring this to Ireland but the other way round. The religious were the home grown product of Irish parents and it is us who should apologise to the Catholic Church for what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Insulting Boards.ie in After Hours

J A sus

RABBLE RABBLE!! :pac:

I don't mind really, as long as they are not forcing their beliefs on anyone else.
    If they are not, let them have as many get togethers as they want.
    Or masses.

I would point out that babies are cajoled into following the organisation by an aggresive form of conditioning...

Scrag wrote: »
    The Service is there for those who want to go. Many people in Ireland are rightfully angry and disgusted by events which have come to light recently in the form of child abuse.
    It might be well to reflect on the fact that the Catholic Church did not bring this to Ireland but the other way round. The religious were the home grown product of Irish parents and it is us who should apologise to the Catholic Church for what happened.
    WTF?!?

Seriously....... WTF?!?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TossL1916

A member of the Catholic Church is not just priests, its anyone baptised. So your saying that those 80,000 people there today condone the abuse of children? Are you trying to say that there are 80,000 rapists in Croke Park today? I'm not trying to defend what went on, and i believe that anyone who was involved in the abuse or cover ups of abuse should be excommunicated and jailed, but that doesnt mean the Church should be called a "vile institution", it also doesnt mean that all priests are clowns either.

Insulting Boards.ie in After Hours

J A sus

So what's your opinion of the censorship of certain swear words?

I suppose you like being treated like a child?:rolleyes:

Scrag wrote: »
    The religious were the home grown product of Irish parents and it is us who should apologise to the Catholic Church for what happened.

They should thank the catholic church for allowing them the opportunity to do those thing. And covering it up to allow them to continue. Not everyone in Ireland had such power backing up their depraved acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

More than 80,000 people still hold faith in a more repugnant Fianna Fail.

FFS. Its 80,000 old people having a day out for something that gives them something to live for day to day.

Whats the bets you wouldnt have this rant to your grandparents you spineless git. Jesus I wouldnt even admit to my granny I havent seen mass since I left school (Im sure she knows it full well but theres no need to worry an old woman who thinks it would have grave implications, is there)

Shout your mouth off athiesm in a country where the church doesnt hold a major influence on nearly anyone under 60 is pathetic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement