If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips 40pfl8605h picture problems

Options
  • 17-06-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all,

Suddenly last night my tv suddenly started going black coming back on every few minutes. The red light at the front is flashing even though the remote isn't being used. I took the batteries out of the remote just to make sure there wasn't a button stuck but no change. I tried unplugging different inputs but that didn't help and unplugging the tv and starting up again made no difference. Tv is totally unwatchable now and it's seriously annoying. Can anyone suggest a reason please?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

forestman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Suddenly last night my tv suddenly started going black coming back on every few minutes. The red light at the front is flashing even though the remote isn't being used. I took the batteries out of the remote just to make sure there wasn't a button stuck but no change. I tried unplugging different inputs but that didn't help and unplugging the tv and starting up again made no difference. Tv is totally unwatchable now and it's seriously annoying. Can anyone suggest a reason please?

Forest - really sorry to hear that - It's an AWESOME tv.

In the 1st instance I'd try to do a firmware upgare - if you go to http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=NL&slg=AEN&sct=8000_SERIES_FLAT_TV_SE&cat=TELEVISIONS_CA&session=20120618135803_83.70.118.32&grp=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&ctn=40PFL8605H/12&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software I see there is a recent upgrade on the 13th June - if you upload that upgrade it may just sort out your issue...

if that does not work then the best route is to call the Philips/TPV Customer care centre on 0818.210.140 - (you will need your serial number and a copy of your receipt). (they are probably only open Mon-Friday )

They will look after you directly and if you have any issues dont hesitate to drop me a line)

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭forestman

Hi John,

Thank you very much for all your help to date. All I can say is that ye have been the only helpfull people in this whole debacle. It's 3 weeks later and I am still getting the run around from Philips with no decision made on my case. I have rang both MF services and Philips directly on a number of occasions and on each case I have been told that they are waiting for a decision to be made. I am now waiting for a return call in the next 15-20 mins with what I hope will be a soloution. Everyone has agreed that the screen is knackered but they are waiting for 1 guy to make a decision. Based on my experience to date with Philips I will never again purchase any of their products as I cant trust or rely on any service I get from them.

However that is not a refelction on yourselves, at all times ye have been of immense help and the support and co-operation I have received from ye has been top notch. I will keep ye up to date with the saga!

Ok the latest update is I waited 2 hours on Friday evening for a call back from Philips - which I was to receive within 15-20 mins. I rang them back myself and found out that the guy who promised me faithfully would call me back had gone home. I eventually spoke to another guy who agreed with me that it was totally unaceptable but he explained that he cant put anymore pressure up the line because those guys pay his wages:eek:. So as it stand i am waiting impatiently for a MR. <Snip> to get off his posterior and make a decison about my TV. In the meantime I am left high and dry with no TV and no assurance of when I'll get it replaced. From what I can find out It looks like I will be waiting as Philips seem to have an attrocious track record when it comes to customer service. It is just unbelieveable that someone can spend 1500 euros on a piece of equipment and when it fails get the run around from the manufacturer. Well never again will I touch a piece of Philips kit and I will be telling this story to every one of my friends and colleagues.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Hi Forestman,

I can understand the frustration involved and hope that you can get a satisfactory solution to the problem. I've snipped the name mentioned in your post above - again, while I understand and empathise with the frustration of getting this resolved, it is not appropriate to highlight someone by name on the forum in this way.

Thanks,

Ritz.

Ok the latest update is I waited 2 hours on Friday evening for a call back from Philips - which I was to receive within 15-20 mins. I rang them back myself and found out that the guy who promised me faithfully would call me back had gone home. I eventually spoke to another guy who agreed with me that it was totally unaceptable but he explained that he cant put anymore pressure up the line because those guys pay his wages:eek:. So as it stand i am waiting impatiently for a MR. <Snip> to get off his posterior and make a decison about my TV. In the meantime I am left high and dry with no TV and no assurance of when I'll get it replaced. From what I can find out It looks like I will be waiting as Philips seem to have an attrocious track record when it comes to customer service. It is just unbelieveable that someone can spend 1500 euros on a piece of equipment and when it fails get the run around from the manufacturer. Well never again will I touch a piece of Philips kit and I will be telling this story to every one of my friends and colleagues.

Forest,

got your msg to the office this morning - I'm chasing this end for you as well - would you send me your job reference number via mail to sales@richersounds.ie so I can chase MF directly for you in the 1st instance..

Thanks as ever,

j

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

The Ritz wrote: »
    Mod Comment:

Hi Forestman,

I can understand the frustration involved and hope that you can get a satisfactory solution to the problem. I've snipped the name mentioned in your post above - again, while I understand and empathise with the frustration of getting this resolved, it is not appropriate to highlight someone by name on the forum in this way.

Thanks,

Ritz.

Sorry Ritz,

I was actually just about to edit it. Thanks for that.

Forest,

got your msg to the office this morning - I'm chasing this end for you as well - would you send me your job reference number via mail to sales@richersounds.ie so I can chase MF directly for you in the 1st instance..

Thanks as ever,

j

Thanks John. I'll send that to you now.

Just had a call from MF services to say that the TV has been repaired and I will have it tommorrow! Great stuff!! (I didn't dare ask how it got fixed so fast considering the parts weren't supposed to be available until the middle of August!!)

Again Thanks to John and all the gang in Richersounds and hopefully I wont have any more issues with the TV!!

Just had a call from MF services to say that the TV has been repaired and I will have it tommorrow! Great stuff!! (I didn't dare ask how it got fixed so fast considering the parts weren't supposed to be available until the middle of August!!)

Again Thanks to John and all the gang in Richersounds and hopefully I wont have any more issues with the TV!!
    Forset,

Thanks / I had to throw some toys out of cots / but to be fair MF were excellent and went mad as well! / apologies it took so long and keep me posted when you get it back that's it's 100%

ATVB,
    John mc

My wife just rang to say TV has been delivered so I cant wait to get home and get it set up. I agree John, I cant fault MF services. They were A1 as well. Thanks again for all the help.

• Advertisement

My wife just rang to say TV has been delivered so I cant wait to get home and get it set up. I agree John, I cant fault MF services. They were A1 as well. Thanks again for all the help.

Just to log a few points now that I have the tv back for two weeks. Overall it's working well but on a few occasions when the tv starts up, there seems to be a re-occurrence of the original issue I.e. sound but no picture and red light flashing, but turning back off the tv and turning it back on again a few times seems to rectify it. Not entirely confident that I'll ever get my money's worth out of this tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Forest.

Thanks for the update.

Have you spoken to MF to report that the issue hasn't gone away ?

The warranty on a repair is generally 1 - 3 months depending on the terms of the repair centre.

If the TV is still not performing to spec then I would suggest giving it back to them to attempt a second repair.

I know this isn't the best news but it's better than sitting with the TV that has a fault.

Is it still under the original manufacturers warranty ?

Thanks

Dave

Just to log a few points now that I have the tv back for two weeks. Overall it's working well but on a few occasions when the tv starts up, there seems to be a re-occurrence of the original issue I.e. sound but no picture and red light flashing, but turning back off the tv and turning it back on again a few times seems to rectify it. Not entirely confident that I'll ever get my money's worth out of this tv.

Forest,

just picked up this post this morning as I have been out of the office most of the week - I was just speaking to the MF guys about your service yesterday! Please Please do give them a shout and get it booked in again asap and keep me posted,

John Mc

Dave, John,

Thanks for the replies. I was away for a couple of weeks and just saw your messages now. I'll get back onto MF services today and let them know the story. I'll keep ye posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

i thought the retailer was responsible for repairs on a tv under warranty, and or chasing up the manufacturer on behalf of the customer

John I have just spoken to MF services and they have put me back onto Philips. Philips are asking what software version is installed on the TV and when I explained that when I originally encountered the problem with the TV that the first thing that was tried was to ensure that the most up to date software version was installed he still insists that I ring him back when standing in front of the TV!! Im in work so that will have to be tonight. I have been issued with a new reference number.

I know and understand that call centre staff have a particular list of checks to go through before allocating the issue but considering I gave him the previous reference number you would imagine that we could just bypass all this and just get a service call to MF services.

I am dreading another drawn out unsatisfactory process, but no doubt thats what Im facing into.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.