Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagull Chick stuck in my yard

• 17-06-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Looked out into my yard this morning to find a baby Seagull chick sitting there.
    My house is 2 floors and theres a 3-4 floor building boardering 2 other sides of the yard and the last portion has a 7 foot concrete wall so it's completely inclosed. I assume the birds build the nests on the larger building as it is covered in vines and leaves etc (last year 2 baby chicks fell to their untimely death in our yard).

Anyway the chick is large enough, but still fluffy looking and pressumably unable to fly. He's moved across the yard since I got up and is just resting under a table now.

He calls out in response to other seagulls that are flyig around ad doesnt seem injured at all.

Just wondering what the best thing to do for him is? I read online that the parents may come and feed him until he's of size to fly off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rutpfl.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

keep an eye on him over the next day,if you see no other seagulls coming to feed him then call the dspca?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

www.irishwildlifematters.ie

A really good website, with advice on what to do and who to contact if need be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

No joking - be careful of adult seagulls - some of them are as big as turkeys and have no qualms about attacking adults, taking bread from your hands etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

DBB wrote: »
    www.irishwildlifematters.ie

A really good website, with advice on what to do and who to contact if need be.

That site is great, thanks a million.
    I fed the little guy earlier and he wolfed down his food and even drank water from a bowl so at least there's something in his belly. Also set up an old box under the table and filled the bottom with dry leaves so theres some shelter for him. I wish I could bring him in incase of rain and coldbut I've a cat :-(

Will give the galway swan rescue tomorrow and see if they can help in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kablamistan

Hi guys, I'm in Dublin and 24 hours ago a Seagull fledgling fully feathered landed in the back yard of our apartment block after a failed first flight from the nest on our roof. Its a pretty wide yard, he's in good condition (no obvious damage to legs or wings) but since yesterday he has just been spreading his wings and hopping about the place or sleeping.

There are gulls assumably from his nest calling to him and he is responding but they don't land down beside him. Does anyone know of any other places to contact as the Irishwildlife matters site gives the DSPCA contact details and they don't work weekends.

I'm afraid B@stard Cat from next door or a neighbour sick of his shrieking will put an end to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭RHarrow

DSPCA is open until half four tomorrow?

I'm not too sure what to do, but if I was worried for its safety I'd consider taping its wings in against its body in the position they naturally are and bringing it into the house until I could get it to the right people. Might squawk a bit but with its wings taped at least it couldn't fly around the room and damage itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Hi guys, I'm in Dublin and 24 hours ago a Seagull fledgling fully feathered landed in the back yard of our apartment block after a failed first flight from the nest on our roof. Its a pretty wide yard, he's in good condition (no obvious damage to legs or wings) but since yesterday he has just been spreading his wings and hopping about the place or sleeping.

There are gulls assumably from his nest calling to him and he is responding but they don't land down beside him. Does anyone know of any other places to contact as the Irishwildlife matters site gives the DSPCA contact details and they don't work weekends.

I'm afraid B@stard Cat from next door or a neighbour sick of his shrieking will put an end to him.

How's the little guy doing?
    From what I've read it should only take a few days to get up and flying properly, do you think he'll last that long?
    I also read that you shouldn't move them unless they're in danger, as the parents *should* be feeding/guarding him. But if you think he might get killed by a cat etc it might be worth releasing him elsewhere?

My little guy is still here almost 3 weeks on. He's quadrupled in size, I think he must have been very young when he fell into the yard. He's only just gotten to the attempting to fly stage these past few days.

Advertisement