Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

olive connoisseurs...

Options
  • 17-06-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

hi i want to get my dad some olives for fathers day...i dont eat them so havent a clue whats good and whats not

can anyone recommend some really good olives and where to get them?

thanks

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

If you are in Dublin, your best bet would be to pop into Fallon and Byrne near George's Street. They have a varied selection of olives. I quite enjoy olives stuffed with other ingredients, like anchovies, peppers, garlic, etc.

Green olives are my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

thanks!

is it like a pick and mix arrangement or do they come in different jars?

the stuffed ones sound good

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

They have these buckets full of them, so you can pick which ones you want. Since they are all at different costs they need to be weighed separately. These ones are far nicer than others you can get in jars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

fantastic...thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't eat them but heard good things about one guy in the farmers market in dun laoghaire in the peoples park. I was there last week but there were 2 guys doing olives, I expect the lad with the bigger display/shop is the better one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

get the ones without the stones there the best ones if you want to chew on them straightaway without halving them to stone them out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Green olives stuffed with anchovy is my favourite combination. I could eat green olives with every meal, but have yet to find a black olive I liked (too bitter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Has the price of olives dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Most delicious for me are the mega green ones stuffed with almonds...Oh my!
    Get them in oil rather than brine, loose with herbs or spices, different types separately...
    I think the stoned (!) ones often have less flavor, and are kept in brine, they're ok for making bread or for pizzas, not for snacking or a delicious starter etc...
    Try a few of them again, you might like them!

Advertisement