Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamburger no Pork

Options
  • 17-06-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me why we call them Hamburger when they are beef and do not have any pork in them? should they not be Beefburgers?
    A bit confusing to Muslims etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

It's because they originate from Hamburg in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

+1 similar to frankfurters originating in Franfurt.
    DanWall wrote: »
    should they not be Beefburgers?
    I think I see them called beef burgers more often than hamburgers these days. In most chippers I see them called quarter pounders, and smaller ones are usually bun burgers & cheese burgers, but you do see hamburger in many. McDs & BK do call them hamburgers.

Searching tesco online hamburger (or ham burger) only shows up 1 hit, a sauce. They call them beef burgers, and burger rolls. I think this is because of the rise of burgers made with other meats, I have seen some with a mix of beef & pork in them before.

DanWall wrote: »
    A bit confusing to Muslims etc.
    I would say muslims are well aware & cautious of what they are eating, just like vegans would know about stuff like beer containing fish products. Anyway the worst that happens here is a muslim does not eat one since he thinks it has pork in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

rubadub wrote: »
    +1 similar to frankfurters originating in Franfurt.

And a Berliner is a type of US President

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

hardCopy wrote: »
    And a Berliner is a type of US President

"Ich bin ein black pudding" - Prince Phillip in the English Market on his visit to Cork!!

Advertisement