Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed term contracts greater then 4 years?

Options
  • 17-06-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I work in the public service and have been on fixed term contracts for the last 4 years. I will soon be passing my 4 year anniversary and my current contract is until the end of next month. Since I will have been on fixed term contracts for more then 4 years at the end of my next contract, is this considered a breach Protection of Employees (Fixed-Term Work) Act 2003? i.e. will I automatically be entitled to a contract of indefinite duration or can they still choose not to give me another contract and let me go?

Also, the act states that after 4 years, an employer must offer the employee a contract of indefinite duration unless there are objective grounds justifying the renewal of the contract for a fixed term only. I couldn't find any examples of objective grounds though. Does anyone know what would be considered objective grounds in cases like these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Potentially where a project is of a temporary nature - the building is built, the website is finished, the database created, etc.

Advertisement