Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

University of Ulster Jordanstown this Sept??!!

• 17-06-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey Everyone !!
    Anybody going to University of Ulster Jordanstown n Sept ???
    You commuting ??
    Or renting ??
    I just got accepted on to Masters up there !!!
    :):)
    Know absolutely nothing about it !!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Hows it going, I currently am at the Jordanstown studying a masters. so if any questions fell free to ask. where you going to be commuting from?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Majaakay

Oh Cool !!! :) I am from Dundalk !!!! I hope to drive !!! Will have2 see wat my timetable is like !!
    going to Msc in Management & Corporate Governance.....what masters are you studying ??
    Are you enjoying it yeah ??
    Is Parking or Traffic difficult ??
    Thanks for your help !!!:D

Majaakay wrote: »
    Oh Cool !!! :) I am from Dundalk !!!! I hope to drive !!! Will have2 see wat my timetable is like !!
    going to Msc in Management & Corporate Governance.....what masters are you studying ??
    Are you enjoying it yeah ??
    Is Parking or Traffic difficult ??
    Thanks for your help !!!:D

I am actually studying the MSc Management and Corporate governance what a concidence. It is commutable, friends in my class commute from newry which i think is quite close to ureslelf??? ya have to be prepared for long drive, traffic coming into belfast can be very busy in mornings.

I love the course but ive got to say the workload is very large which can result in very longdays. your semester one timetable will be tuesdays and wednesday 1-8, so hours isnt that bad, but in week one and week six you will be in for full five days.

Parking is not a problem. feel free to ask questions bout the course etc.

oh wow :D how are you finding d course so far ??? I am mainly concerned about accounting......as I did my degree in law .....and have little experience in fiance and accounting.....so i am nervous about that !!!!

I was considering gettin the accounting book just do some prior research.....LOL

Yes i am 20mins from Newry....

What is timetable like after Jan so??
    Thanks so muc for your help !!!:)

oh wow :D how are you finding d course so far ??? I am mainly concerned about accounting......as I did my degree in law .....and have little experience in fiance and accounting.....so i am nervous about that !!!!

I was considering gettin the accounting book just do some prior research.....LOL

Yes i am 20mins from Newry....

What is timetable like after Jan so??
    Thanks so muc for your help !!!:)

Its very interesting but its also very difficult (In think its better to be honest to ya) this is mainly to do with the amount of work rather than the difficulty. The accounting subjects are not the hardest. the majority of the people in the course had no previous experience of accounting and managed it fine, its an eye opener if ya work at accounting youll be fine. a background in law will be of advantage especially in semester one.

The timetable after january is better there are no five day weeks but its tuesday and wednesday 2-9 (dont worry i dont think we were ever kept up to nine plus semester one timetable is monday and tuesday not tuesday and wednesday ( my mistake))

I enjoy the course as it has such a range of subject areas which enhanced my knowledge and theres ar excellent job prospects from it but it does be tougha t times, spending your summer in class is abit of a downer. any more questions fire away

• Advertisement

Oh right graaaaaand !!!!:) Thank you !!! Do you have lectures up until May ??
    Or do they run through til August ??
    Oh right cool!! wont need ta b on the road at 6 or 7in the morning !! hate that !!

How have you been graded then ??
    Have you had many exams ??
    Or is it assignments ??

Thanks so much for your advice & info !!!
    :D

Oh right graaaaaand !!!!:) Thank you !!! Do you have lectures up until May ??
    Or do they run through til August ??
    Oh right cool!! wont need ta b on the road at 6 or 7in the morning !! hate that !!

How have you been graded then ??
    Have you had many exams ??
    Or is it assignments ??

Thanks so much for your advice & info !!!

ya have lectures till may and then your back in lectures start of june, they finsh for me next thursday. the summer modules i.e. semester three run in three day blocks nine to five so you will have to be doing early mornings, plus in week one and six of semester one is the same.

the grading system works in two categories either a pass or a distinction pass (50-70%) distinction (70 and above). there is a good few exams. semester one exams take place in january and there are four of them and semester two exams take place in may and there is three. you can have exams for the summer in august but it depends what modules you take.

Not a problem, if ya need any more questions feel free

oh no i have my sisters wedding start of Jan........ :( are they early Jan ???

And did you have to buy many books n general for da year??

Thanks so much for your advice.... !!!!
    I hope you get a realy realy good job when you finish.... !!!

oh no i have my sisters wedding start of Jan........ :( are they early Jan ???

And did you have to buy many books n general for da year??

Thanks so much for your advice.... !!!!
    I hope you get a realy realy good job when you finish.... !!!

aww cheers.... they normally start around the 5th or sixth, dont be worrying the course director is sound, if ya say to him he will sort ya a deferral for the exam

buying books is really at ure own discretion theres a big library up here so i would say just buy the books for subjects you would feel that would be of benefit to ya

if its any help ill sell ya mines for cheap when im finished

not a bother i am glad i could help

Okay Thank you !!!!:D
    I may take you up on the offer n few months !!!!
    Good Luck with rest of it !!!!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Guinness11

regob wrote: »
    aww cheers.... they normally start around the 5th or sixth, dont be worrying the course director is sound, if ya say to him he will sort ya a deferral for the exam

buying books is really at ure own discretion theres a big library up here so i would say just buy the books for subjects you would feel that would be of benefit to ya

if its any help ill sell ya mines for cheap when im finished

not a bother i am glad i could help

Hey

I too have been accepted for this masters as well. Not 100% if I am defiantly doing it yet, need to see about funding. It looks like a great course though so hopefully

Could I ask you some questions

Can you pay in installments? Worried about my cash flow at the minute, have been inquiring about a loan from the bank...stress!

Seems like lot of time need to be dedicated to the course so the workload is tough? Are many people on track to get a distinction? or is this revealed?

Do many people have jobs sorted already?

The thing I am worried about is having no real relevant work experience, I have tried to get a few things but it's quite difficult. Do many people work part time along with the course? Any interesting positions?

How is the 3rd semester of the course going for you? Did many people stay on to do it? What difference does it make?

Thanks in advance

Hi
    Yeah you can pay in installments :D

Hi
    Yeah you can pay in installments :D

Good

Any other info? Would be appreciated :)

Guinness11 wrote: »
    Hey

I too have been accepted for this masters as well. Not 100% if I am defiantly doing it yet, need to see about funding. It looks like a great course though so hopefully

Could I ask you some questions

Can you pay in installments? Worried about my cash flow at the minute, have been inquiring about a loan from the bank...stress!

Seems like lot of time need to be dedicated to the course so the workload is tough? Are many people on track to get a distinction? or is this revealed?

Do many people have jobs sorted already?

The thing I am worried about is having no real relevant work experience, I have tried to get a few things but it's quite difficult. Do many people work part time along with the course? Any interesting positions?

How is the 3rd semester of the course going for you? Did many people stay on to do it? What difference does it make?

Thanks in advance

Hi there

you can pay in installments they work out something around 800 quid a month for five-to six months.

there is alot of work involved, but its the same level of what can be expected for most masters i think. people are on for distinctions, but in this course it doesnt really matter that much as its the grad icsa that is of most importance.

alot of people do have and have started work already, there are good job prospects, the course is mainly focused on the career of company secretary( hence the icsa) and the course director has a lot of links with many companies in ireland mainly dublin, these companies recruit directly from the course.

what do ya mean by relevant work experience? is this in the cosec career? if so it doesnt matter at all as the majoirty of jobs would be traineeships so no work experience is required.

I myself held down to part time jobs while doing the course, one was with an mla from the ni assembly and one was in mcdonalds.

def stay on for the third semester if ya can afford it, its there to give you a masters, you obtain the grad icsa in may, if ya pass everything. if ya want to be a co sec youll obtain the qualifications for it in may. i really enjoyed the modules in third semester, so go for it if ya can.

sorry bout grammar quick typing librarys bout to close

if ya have any other questions fire away

hope this helps

Thanks for the reply!
    Think im getting a career development loan to pay for it :S Hopefully be grand

Will let you know if i think of anything else! Cheers

You going to the recreational ?????
    :)

curiosity is that in a place called portaferry again, btw yous should definetly go to it was brilliant last year and everybody gets to no eachother really well

btw just letting yous no so use arnt surprised yous will have to pay to join icsa as a student in semester one. It was £250 sterling for me last year, say it will be around the same this year

okay thanks for mentioning that....more €€€'s....
    :P
    Yeah its in Portaferry!! What is it like?? Is it tough?? Does it involve heights?? hate heights :(
    Also do you think I can leave my car in the carpark while were gone for the couple of days??
    Thanks for your help Donegal :D

okay thanks for mentioning that....more €€€'s....
    :P
    Yeah its in Portaferry!! What is it like?? Is it tough?? Does it involve heights?? hate heights :(
    Also do you think I can leave my car in the carpark while were gone for the couple of days??
    Thanks for your help Donegal :D

Sorry for breaking the news bout more euros. are you commuting or living in belfast?

yeah ya definetly can ditch the car in uni for couple of days, its £3 A DAY to park in uni (sorry for keep mentioning money)

Portaferry is brilliant, if any think its a massive drinking session, the activities are great crc, theres one that involves heights or standing on crates which are high up, but ya dont have to do anything ya dont wanna do. youll really enjoy it, plus everybody gets to no eachother which is of great benefit in doing the course.

fiddlers is what makes the residential its great crc ( ull understand what i mean by that when ya do the course)

glad i can help, if it helps ya ill be in uni finishing off my project when yous are in for induction and portaferry( i feel so depressed)

Im driving !!!!
    Ur grand i've been working for most of the summer so I realy shouldnt be complaining abou money anyways !!! ha :)
    hahaha last thing I expected to be happening was drinking...... this is great !!! do you stay in portaferry?
    Hope your project is almost done !!!! :):)

• Advertisement

Im driving !!!!
    Ur grand i've been working for most of the summer so I realy shouldnt be complaining abou money anyways !!! ha :)
    hahaha last thing I expected to be happening was drinking...... this is great !!! do you stay in portaferry?
    Hope your project is almost done !!!! :):)

if ya have the money I would purchase a praking pass whenever ya get your student card, it costs 75 pound but it means ya dont have to pay parking for the year.

Im glad to tell ya the majority of it is drinking, alot of drinking. yeah you stay in portaferry in a hostel.

thanks very much getting there almost done, you have it all to come lol

• Registered Users Posts: 35 marmalady

Hi, I'm starting masters in York Street, part of Ulster! I'm moving up on 17th of sept, found my room. All very exciting and scary!! :) Good luck!

marmalady wrote: »
    Hi, I'm starting masters in York Street, part of Ulster! I'm moving up on 17th of sept, found my room. All very exciting and scary!! :) Good luck!

thats great, no it well, what course you studying

Masters in Cultural Heritage and Museum Studies, have BA in Photography.. so I hope to do a bit of spying on the MA Photography course too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yorkshire123

Hi,

I am also starting the Management and Corporate Governance Masters in September...I have a few questions if you don't mind answering :)

Are all the modules assessed by exam or are there some that are all coursework? Like how many exams would we have in January? Are any modules assessed by groupwork and do you get to choose your own groups?

Are you allowed to use your laptop to take notes in lectures because I find this much easier?

Is there a good social life to the course? Is there a class rep or anything to organise nights out/ trips etc?

Sorry for the million questions! Thanks :)

Hi,

I am also starting the Management and Corporate Governance Masters in September...I have a few questions if you don't mind answering :)

Are all the modules assessed by exam or are there some that are all coursework? Like how many exams would we have in January? Are any modules assessed by groupwork and do you get to choose your own groups?

Are you allowed to use your laptop to take notes in lectures because I find this much easier?

Is there a good social life to the course? Is there a class rep or anything to organise nights out/ trips etc?

Sorry for the million questions! Thanks :)

Its Kinda Hit and Miss with the coursework exam question. In january you will have four exams, these being comany and business law, strategic operations and financial accounting, the three day block modules (organisational behaviour and hrm) are all coursework. both have single and group elements to them. the organisational behaviour is taught by the course director and other lecturer. The group work element in this is an assignment and you are assigned your groups. this is because it is taken in week one and its a method of people getting to no eachother. that was the only group i think for the full year were u were assigned.

im not to sure about the laptop, i never really seen it done... however must of the lecturers are really sound so i think if ya ask them in week one if ya can and see what they say.

are year were really close and got on really well with eachother so we had alot of nites out together, it will just depend the people in your class. portaferry was great crc and great for meeting people so it prob will be the same and also the icsa annual formal will take place in october i think or november which yous will be invited to which is a great night out. a note of warning though semester one gets very intense with coursework (i think i better be honest about it) its completely doable but might decrease the amount of ecpected nights out.

we had no class trips or anything really, well for a module in semester two you have to go to the NI Assembly committee meetings for minute taking, it just depends if your class reps are up for organising trips.

dont be silly im glad i can help, any more questions fire away

Best of luck to yas tomorrow guys, yous will absolutely love the residential and more importantly the course. a friend of mines will be at your induction in jordanstown, shes really nice so fire questions at her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭cogra10

To marmalady, Im thinking of applying for that masters would you recommend it?

Oh really?! That's exciting. Yes, I would recommend it. I've learned a lot, and i have found it to be very interesting.

• Advertisement

Have they mentioned anything about Job prospects or that kinda end of things yet? Is there a work placement element to it?

They talk of job placements a lot, as a class we share opportunities amongst ourselves. The lecturers are working in the museum sector and so they have good contacts. We don't have placements but it is encouraged to find volunteer work. They will help with this providing references that you might need etc. There are a few jobs coming up in the sector around the place but they always look for experience etc so it's important to be volunteering somewhere.. even start now if you can or haven't already.

Thanks for all the Info! Thinking might change direction again Maybe P.R or Computers or Journalism! Trying to find something thats a bit certain that I get a Job in. Thanks for all the advice!

Well folks, Hows everyone on the MSc Management and Corporate Governance getting on. How are use getting on? Have use met the infamous accounting lecturer. Im glad to say ive finished and graduated and now working as a CoSec in London. So if you's have any questions fire away

Advertisement