Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Battery charger for under 30 euro??

• 17-06-2012 2:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a good battery charger out therer for under 30 euro??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

paddy147 wrote: »
    Is there a good battery charger out therer for under 30 euro??

39.99 halfords..brand new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Bikerguy wrote: »

Reduced to 37.99.

I use the same one, no issues with it, nice long cable and the option to have it permanently fixed to the battery if not easily accessible with a quick release plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Be careful with float/trickle chargers .
    I would rather buy a charger that has overcharge protection so it doesn't boil the battery dry if you forget..
    Like this one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Bikerguy wrote: »
    oleras wrote: »
    Reduced to 37.99.

I use the same one, no issues with it, nice long cable and the option to have it permanently fixed to the battery if not easily accessible with a quick release plug.

I have this one too and find it really good for the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Woodies DIY have them for €20,I have one and never had a problem with it,good charger for the price.Brookstone Battery Charger/4 Amp 12v.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

4 amps is a bit heavy for a bike battery. 4 amps is more akin to charging a car battery.
    I've always been taught that 1 amp maximum is optimum for a bike battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Hi Chippy,the charger has thermal cut off and overcharge protection so can't really see it as much of a problem.i know it might be a bit high alright but couldn't see it doing any damage,never damaged any of my or my friends batteries after bikes sitting up for long winters.

4 amps is too much for a bike battery, a rule of thumb with chargers is charge amperage at 10% of the battery capacity.
    So a standard YTX9BS is around 8AH 10% of that is 0.8 amps.
    A big charger will charge a battery but will shorten its life, sometimes dramatically.
    I've seen a few that have bulged out from being overheated during charging, not good!
    Better to get an intelligent bike specific charger IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

CJhaughey wrote: »
    4 amps is too much for a bike battery, a rule of thumb with chargers is charge amperage at 10% of the battery capacity.
    So a standard YTX9BS is around 8AH 10% of that is 0.8 amps.
    A big charger will charge a battery but will shorten its life, sometimes dramatically.
    I've seen a few that have bulged out from being overheated during charging, not good!
    Better to get an intelligent bike specific charger IMO.

So whats the better battery charger for a bike battery then..the halfords charger or the woodies charger??

As always depends on what you want it for.
    If its just to keep a charged battery topped up then the Halfords one is fine.
    If you need to fully charge a flattened battery then one with a pulse charge would be better.
    Aldi and Lidl sometimes sell the small battery chargers that pulse charge and have some kind of intelligent charge system.
    If you just want to buy a good all purpose type battery charger that will do all of the above buy either an Optimate or Ctek or Procharger
    All the ones I linked to can recover batteries that have been deeply discharged and are safe for long term usage.

• Advertisement

As always depends on what you want it for.
    If its just to keep a charged battery topped up then the Halfords one is fine.
    If you need to fully charge a flattened battery then one with a pulse charge would be better.
    Aldi and Lidl sometimes sell the small battery chargers that pulse charge and have some kind of intelligent charge system.
    If you just want to buy a good all purpose type battery charger that will do all of the above buy either an Optimate or Ctek or Procharger
    All the ones I linked to can recover batteries that have been deeply discharged and are safe for long term usage.

Its to quickly charge/top up a bike battery.

Not enough juice in the battery to fire up the bike.

Its to quickly charge/top up a bike battery.

Not enough juice in the battery to fire up the bike.
    The Halfords one should do you then, a bit dear for a basic charger though, have you not seen any of the lidl ones sold off cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

The Halfords one should do you then, a bit dear for a basic charger though, have you not got any pics of the lidl ones sold off cheap?

FYP CJ.

Just yanking your chain paddy...;)

Would this battery charger do the job for charging a motorbike batery back up??

http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-to-12v-sealed-lead-acid-battery-charger-33070

Input voltage: 230Vac
    Output voltages:
    2V battery 2.3V @ 900mA
    6V battery 6.9V @ 700mA
    12V battery 13.8V @ 600mA
    Dimensions: 106 x 68 x 51mm

Thanks.

Output voltages:
    2V battery 2.3V @ 900mA
    6V battery 6.9V @ 700mA

Thanks.
    Yes, but its still expensive for what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Output voltages:
    2V battery 2.3V @ 900mA
    6V battery 6.9V @ 700mA

Thanks.

Not really.....
    Taken from your link:-

A plug-in charger suitable for 2 to 12V sealed lead-acid type batteries up to 9Ah.

If your battery is rated over 9Ah, you'll probably toast the charger.

Sorted now.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you want one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OXIMISER-900-MOTORCYCLE-BATTERY-CHARGER/sim/B002QR6VNA/2

if it saves one battery it double pays for itself

mine is used constantly for the last 4 years

Advertisement