Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of the remains of Ivy prior to painting....

• 17-06-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

I have a wall that i've removed ivy from and now want to paint. But the problem is that the ivy has left thousand of little roots into the wall no amount of scraping or wire brushing will take these off.

Has anyone else had to deal with these? I'm wondering is there anything that could be put on to them?

Would brick cleaner take care of this? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

What about a mini torch and burn them off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 Apelles

Would a powerhose not be the best option for removing dem cling-ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. From a bit of googling they are called tendrils and they are stuck to the brick like glue.

Some people say soaking with washing powerder then a scrubbing brush is the way to go.

I don't think a power washer is an option, based on where they are. Blow torch sounds like good fun... This stuff is a pain to get rid of...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭brian_t

they are stuck to the brick like glue.

Would it create a problem later on if you just painted over them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Round up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

brian_t wrote: »
    Would it create a problem later on if you just painted over them?

There was some on the other wall that i painted over and it kinda ruins the finish. Think I'll try round up or diluted bleach on them and a scrubbing brush :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭brian_t

Round up.

Round up is a herbicide which may kill off the ivy to start with but won't have any effect on what is left behind at this stage.

Advertisement