Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

37.5% to pass?

• 17-06-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been hearing people at my school saying all week "Need 37.5% to pass a subject'. Is this true? Because this could be seriously handy for accounting:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bladet1delta

this would be amazing haha, although accounting is my 7th subject it'd still be nice to pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

It's 38% - 38 is a D3 :)

not meaning to burst anyone's bubble here, but on the inside of any of my exam papers it says a D3 is 40 but less than 45. An E is then 25 but less than 40, for which there are no points awarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

According to the booklet they give you a D3 if you get 38%. If you get 37.5% they don't round it up. You need 152 marks out of 400 to get a D3, so if you get 151 - 37.75% - they won't round it up and give you a D.

not meaning to burst anyone's bubble here, but on the inside of any of my exam papers it says a D3 is 40 but less than 45. An E is then 25 but less than 40, for which there are no points awarded.
    As Togepi said, the booklet says otherwise, so if you got an E for 39% you'd probably be able to appeal it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Togepi wrote: »
    According to the booklet they give you a D3 if you get 38%. If you get 37.5% they don't round it up. You need 152 marks out of 400 to get a D3, so if you get 151 - 37.75% - they won't round it up and give you a D.

Thanks for that! Might be some hope of passing accounting after all!:p

Patchy~ wrote: »
    As Togepi said, the booklet says otherwise, so if you got an E for 39% you'd probably be able to appeal it.

Cool, what booklet?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Togepi wrote: »
    That said, You might get a sound corrector who'll see if the can find an extra mark somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

pajero12 wrote: »
    That said, You might get a sound corrector who'll see if the can find an extra mark somewhere!

True, especially in the likes of English where it's easy to add/subtract a few marks here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 klaudia0

Patchy~ wrote: »

how will you know you got 39% if it only says E on the results paper? it doesnt state the percentage

• Advertisement

Cool, what booklet?
    Emmm it's just called LC 2012, my school gave it to me on grad - you should have it but it definitely says it :)
    klaudia0 wrote: »
    how will you know you got 39% if it only says E on the results paper? it doesnt state the percentage
    Well I know if I got an E in anything I'd view the script, and thats how you can find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

klaudia0 wrote: »

You can choose to look over your scripts in September, you can calculate your percentage then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Cool, what booklet?

This booklet, which you should have got:
    http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/Candidate_Info_2012.pdf

See page 16, under number 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭n0ak

Wow seems to be interesting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just note that it states a tolerance of UP TO 2%, the question is how do they decide on what the tolerance is? If you get 39% you are not gauranteed to pass. 2% extra isnt that much to get really, its only 6 more marks (or 12 on two papers).

They dont round up, if you get 37.9%, you dont get 38%. As stated above the pass mark is done on the number of marks you get i.e. 40% of 300, if you dont reach that you dont get the grade. In my leaving I missed out on an A1 by 3 marks, appealed and got the same grade back again. Dont assume the examiner will spend extra time trying to get you to pass, they have too many papers to correct.

Advertisement