Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carat for iOS

• 17-06-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

According to the comments in that link it's extremely buggy and is actually a CPU hog itself.

Apps can only run in the background for 10 minutes before the OS forcibly shuts them down. Most battery drain problems are due to apps (or even the OS itself) using location services, which is pretty easy to keep an eye on yourself or disable altogether.

I get very good battery life out of my 4S and I don't do that silly business of "killing" apps in the multitasking bar that many people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not sure about standby time, but I think I generally get about 6-9 hours usage. It varies depending on what I'm doing obviously, and listening to music (which uses relatively little battery but is still counted as usage) can inflate that stat considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

My settings are roughly as follows:

- Brightness at about 25 percent with auto enabled.
    - WiFi on and left on (although I've heard turning it off when you aren't connected to WiFi saves battery).
    - Bluetooth off (I don't use any Bluetooth devices).
    - Siri off.
    - Location services on, but I only allow a few trusted apps to use it. The system services are the ones you really need to watch. I have all of them except compass calibration disabled as they are prone to going a bit mental. Last time I checked Apple still hadn't fixed this. At the very least you should make sure the status bar icon is enabled so you know when they are active.
    - Notifications on. You don't need to worry too much about this. All push notifications go through Apple's PNS, which your phone is always connected anyway. Only actual notifications coming through are a drain on the battery rather than the setting itself being enabled.
    - All email accounts set to check manually, except for my primary iCloud email which is push.
    - I don't use any VOIP apps (Viber, Skype, etc) - they maintain a separate connection to their respective servers rather than going through Apple, but they are generally well behaved.
    - iCloud enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i'm connected to wifi about 95% of the time so i turned off 3g and mobile data, only turning it on when i need it. worked wonders for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Must check that out
    you can't beat sbsettings for saving battery, add it to your notifications and disable wifi when your leaving the house/office, disable bluetooth when not in the car, adjust screen brightness at night time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I installed it last night and it seemed to be constantly using gps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I installed it a week ago and it still hasn't got any "report" back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Must check that out
    you can't beat sbsettings for saving battery, add it to your notifications and disable wifi when your leaving the house/office, disable bluetooth when not in the car, adjust screen brightness at night time

What's the name of that sbsettings add-on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

What's the name of that sbsettings add-on?
    You will have to be jailbroken. Just search for Sbsettings in Cydia. Fantastic little app. After installation, install Remove Background - its a handy "1 touch" kill for all background apps. Same BigBoss Repo. SBsettings has a quick launch feature - access by horizontal slide movement across top of screen. Excellent tool for immediate access to popular features such as brightness, 3G, WiFi, Airplane mode among others. Easily customised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

dodzy wrote: »
    You will have to be jailbroken. Just search for Sbsettings in Cydia. Fantastic little app. After installation, install Remove Background - its a handy "1 touch" kill for all background apps. Same BigBoss Repo. SBsettings has a quick launch feature - access by horizontal slide movement across top of screen. Excellent tool for immediate access to popular features such as brightness, 3G, WiFi, Airplane mode among others. Easily customised.

I already have all those feature you just mentioned. I just thought CathalDublin was on about a automated sbsettings app that detected all the events (eg, detect when leaving car to turn off bluetooth).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I already have all those feature you just mentioned. I just thought CathalDublin was on about a automated sbsettings app that detected all the events (eg, detect when leaving car to turn off bluetooth).
    Apologies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alt_M

guil wrote: »
    I installed it last night and it seemed to be constantly using gps

It doesn't actually use the GPS, but it does subscribe to the location services. Basically it wakes the app up when you change your general location. This is required for the app to send data back to their servers. You can turn the app's location settings off in the iPhones settings, but you will have to manually open the app every now and then to allow it to communicate with their servers.

It's not for everyone but I personally love apps like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Islander1

Just uploaded it , so will post back here in a couple of weeks with a review !

Advertisement