Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Megane cabrio ignition coils

Options
  • 17-06-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Any advice folks? Wife has a 2005 megane cabriolet which we're trying to sell as its no longer practical. It started losing power recently and was told by garage it was ignition coil problem. (Garage quoting 300 to replace coils) I followed YouTube instructions to replace a coil (take out one at a time and if car keeps running, that's your faulty coil). Coils 1 and 4 were replaced but problem persisted
    Don't know whether I should buy 2 more coils now or just bite the bullet & get garage to do work.
    Also anyone have any experience with those "cash for cars" guys? Are they cowboys are are they a decent alternative to when you're not interesting in trading and don't want tyre-kickers with no interest in buying either?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If all the garage are going to do is replace coils then its pointless going to them now that you know how easy the job is.

What engine is in it? 4 coils for a 1.6 are only €100. Assuming they can buy them a bit cheap than I can walking in off the street, €200 for half an hours work replacing a few coils is madness,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭cml387

Been there done that. The problem is that it's not immedaitely obvious what coil is gone.

I just bought one coil and aftre changing one,drove around for 5 minutes. Eventually after a few swops the power loss (and engine light) didn't come on any more.

Then I got rid of the car and swore never to buy a Renault again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gordonok

Yeah it's a 1.6. The cheapest I saw online was about 130 for 4 coils from an Irish parts site. The garage are charging a crazy price for a the level of difficulty involved - that's why I did it myself, although it didn't fix the problem. Maybe I'll get 2 other new ones one assuming the new ones I bought recently are still ok.
    I just don't want to be throwing money away trying to fix something that I may not be able to. Thanks for advice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Did you swap coils 1&4 with 2&3? The garage probably ran the car on the computer and shown the coils gone. I would try the other 2 coils and then, if needed, leave it to a garage, not main dealer though. After that, sell the fecker.

Or sell it as needing to be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

GSF have a few different types.Thats where I got them for 25 each.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Did you pay the garage for diagnosing the problem or was that included in the €300.

There are also cheap brand coils and OE brand coils, which were you quoted for? so you can compare to the ones your are pricing online.

Renault also, depending on the model of coil fitted to your car, recommend changing all 4 when 1 fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gordonok

Did you pay the garage for diagnosing the problem or was that included in the €300.

There are also cheap brand coils and OE brand coils, which were you quoted for? so you can compare to the ones your are pricing online.

Renault also, depending on the model of coil fitted to your car, recommend changing all 4 when 1 fails.

Sorry for delay in reply. No, I was charged 35 for diagnostic so I presume it'll be the same if I get it done again. Will get 2 more coils and see if that does the trick. I just want to get it running ok so I can get rid of it for once and for all.

Advertisement