Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Having a paperweight or necklace made of your " loved one" ( after they have died!)

• 17-06-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭

Seriously! I've just seen an ad for this : & it seems to be for real! Apparently you an ( now!) have your " loved ones " remains /ashes made into a paperweight or trinket!! " keep them close for all time : wear them around your neck!"
    Would you do this!!?
    Really!!?
    And if not why! & if so : what would you have them made into & where would you keep it/them!!!!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Jesus that's mad! American company? Bit morbid for my liking, what's wrong with visiting a grave when you want to be close??

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

If I could have her ashes made into toilet roll I'd definitely use that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I don't see anything remotely strange about that tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

you can have them made into a diamond and everything,but it costs to do that..

personally i would be wierded out freaked out by it so i wouldnt do it..its would be too morbid for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Well some people leave the ashes in an urn on the mantlepiece or whatever, I don't really see how this would be so much different?

Wouldn't do it myself though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I'd like to get my ashes made into something like this. You can also get ur self made into a diamond. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

That reminds me of the band Mayhem. The bass player, Euronymous made necklaces out of fragments of the lead singer's skull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I'd get my dads remains made into a paperweight no bother.

Ironically he's a fat bástard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A woman's husband died leaving $20,000 in cash for an elaborate funeral. After everything was done at the funeral home and cemetery, she told her closest friend that there was no more money left.

Her friend said, "How can that be? You told me you had $20,000 a few days ago. How can you be broke?"

The widow said, "According to the will I had to spend it all. The funeral cost me $6,500. And, of course, I had to make the obligatory donation for the church and the organist and all. That was $500. And I spent another $500 for the wake, food and drinks, you know. The rest went for the memorial stone."

The friend said, "$12,500 for the memorial stone?? My God, how big was it?"

The widow said, "Three Carats!"

http://www.lifegem.com/
    Your very own LifeGem diamond(s) can be created from the carbon in cremation ashes, a lock of hair, or both

There is a big market in tacky stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Don't see a problem with it tbh. It's no more weird than chucking them into the ground with a load of other dead people and then visiting the odd time.

There was an auld fella near where I live that decided to have his ashes put into a shotgun cartridge and fired off in the Cooley Mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Don't see a problem with it tbh. It's no more weird than chucking them into the ground with a load of other dead people and then visiting the odd time.

There was an auld fella near where I live that decided to have his ashes put into a shotgun cartridge and fired off in the Cooley Mountains.

Yeah I plan to go with that one myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I know of a person who had her husbands ashes mixed with paint and put on canvas by an artist.

I also know a person who keeps a locket of her cat's ashes around her neck, and also some in soft toy cats....I'll say not more on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

If I have kids when I croak, it'll be the diamond route for me, - something which can be passed down as well as a plot with a headstone where the rest of the ashes will go.
    OH put me on to the diamond thing, and I think a ring or necklace or watch or whatever with both of us in it would make an excellent heirloom if engraved with both names and an explanation.

We're both incurable romantics though :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That's nasty. But I also think being put in a box underground is nasty. I don't think people should hold onto their dead loved ones like that. You have your memories, I don't really understand why anyone would want to be hanging onto a literal part of them.

I want to be cremated and have my ashes scattered into the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

phasers wrote: »
    That's nasty. But I also think being put in a box underground is nasty. I don't think people should hold onto their dead loved ones like that. You have your memories, I don't really understand why anyone would want to be hanging onto a literal part of them.

I want to be cremated and have my ashes scattered into the sea.

Yes, the immediate family have memories, but it might prompt someone one or two generations down to investigate their ancestors,- their lives, loves, successes, failures etc.
    It's no nastier than any other end tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Seriously! I've just seen an ad for this : & it seems to be for real! Apparently you an ( now!) have your " loved ones " remains /ashes made into a paperweight or trinket!! " keep them close for all time : wear them around your neck!"
    Would you do this!!?
    Really!!?
    And if not why! & if so : what would you have them made into & where would you keep it/them!!!!
    Thanks!

No that is too weird and creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I like the idea of being a paper weight! A necklace, no.
    A fire truck, yes.
    Rasheed wrote: »
    Jesus that's mad! American company? Bit morbid for my liking, what's wrong with visiting a grave when you want to be close??

A grave might mean nothing to someone?
    lol@a bit morbid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

A fire truck, yes.

A luck charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

When I go I want to be fed to gulls. Ideally the body should be blown into tiny pieces first, or put through a mincer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭niamhx

I have part of my dads ashes at home. his wishes were to be spread in the boyne where he fished as a child. I kept enough to add some to his parents grave and for each of us to keep. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with them, I've thought about a necklace but I'd be afraid I lose it. Recently I've thought of adding them to a frame behind his favourite cap, nobody but me would know they were there. It's nice to have something to remember him by, some might find it strange but until you've lost someone that close you can't understand. You will always want to keep something or have something to remember them by, grave, trinket, whatever.

My aunt, his sister, has her part of him in a baby bottle of jack Daniels, his favourite tipple. If she gets comfort from that then so be it, it makes me smile :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kowloon wrote: »
    When I go I want to be fed to gulls. Ideally the body should be blown into tiny pieces first, or put through a mincer.
    Anyone who believes that is gullible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I like the romantic notion of diamond ring (s?).I wonder how much of " one" you would need to make a diamond; and what kind if carat ring "you" would make!!? Does it depend on how much ashes you use; or the quality !!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Rasheed wrote: »

why would you want to be 6 feet away from a loved one's rotting, decomposing, maggot infested corpse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

niamhx wrote: »
    It's nice to have something to remember him by, some might find it strange but until you've lost someone that close you can't understand. You will always want to keep something or have something to remember them by, grave, trinket, whatever.

yeah... but a part of them after their body was set on fire and burnt to ash? that's just bizarre. not really any different to chopping off a finger and keeping it in your purse tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

My friend who is gay said he wants to be cremated and would like his boyfriend to eat his ashes with cornflakes or the like, only because he wants to go through his mates bum hole for one last time.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

porte wrote: »
    My friend who is gay said he wants to be cremated and would like his boyfriend to eat his ashes with cornflakes or the like, only because he wants to go through his mates bum hole for one last time.:D

The 1980s called and they want their joke back ;)

Advertisement