Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sustainable Energy 2012

Options
  • 17-06-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

What do ye reckon the points will be this year? 330 last year, will they go up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 padraiggriffin

that would be an ecumenical matter

probably go up

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Is it even accredited by any organisation yet?

mrmeindl wrote: »
    Is it even accredited by any organisation yet?

to my best knowledge it is not accredited yet, but in a few years there should be jobs in the area.
    i was thinking of transfering to it but decided not to. civil engineering cover a lot of it and as a civil engineer you could get a lot of the same jobs or could do further studies in sustainable/environmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alan91

I wouldnt do the course to be honest with you, started it back a few years ago but left after 1st year because it was run so poorly. It is not accredited by Engineers Ireland, nor will it be, as all other Engineering degrees that wanted to be accredited did so about two months ago. Mechanical, Biomedical, Chem, Structural all did but not sustainable energy. Outside Ireland the degree will probably be useless and the standard of the course pales in comparison to any other engineering degree. Take my advise do a mechanical, civil, chem or biomed degree. It would be much more worth your time. Or don't the choice is yours! :)

Alan91 wrote: »
    I wouldnt do the course to be honest with you, started it back a few years ago but left after 1st year because it was run so poorly. It is not accredited by Engineers Ireland, nor will it be, as all other Engineering degrees that wanted to be accredited did so about two months ago. Mechanical, Biomedical, Chem, Structural all did but not sustainable energy. Outside Ireland the degree will probably be useless and the standard of the course pales in comparison to any other engineering degree. Take my advise do a mechanical, civil, chem or biomed degree. It would be much more worth your time. Or don't the choice is yours! :)

what this guy said, (though it might be accredited in the furure as its still only a new course, its only its 5 yr i think ??, probably still years away though)

if you are interested in the environmental/sustainable side of things id go for Civil or Structural (structural is the same as civil just more intense with more on the design of buildings side of things) you could then do a masters maybe in sustainable or environmental.

if you were thinking of doing the civil course in cit bare in mind its only a level 7, you can transfer to 3rd yr structural or 3rd yr civil in UCC after the 3 yrs of the level 7 course but you will have to achieve a merit 1 minimum to enter UCC, its the same for the structural as well as having to get 70% in math in semester 6 (3rd yr sem 2). if you choose UCC you then have to do an entrance exam (which is on their 2 yr soild and structural mechanics paper 1 & 2, its ok but slightly different from what you cover in CIT)
    its not an easy task and your probably better (easier route) off starting a course at level 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Alan91

It will never be accredited in its current state due to the maths that is presented in the course being at the same level as a level 7 degree. If they want it to be accredited by EI then they need to have the same maths as mech, biomed, structural and chem ( who all share maths modules because they are on the same level ) anyone who tells you any different is lying.

I think about half of the lads I started with dropped out and any who did continue on with it regretted it. Of course you get the people oblivious to the fact that the degree wont be much use in landing you a good job outside of our border.

Advertisement