Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rodney King Found Dead

• 17-06-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Breaking News: Rodney King has been found dead, at the age of 47. He was the guy who coined the phrase "can't we all just get along?" after he was beat up by cops in 1991 after a traffic stop. The cops were later acquitted, sparking the LA Riots of 1992.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Sad , only 47.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

i hear he was at a Michael Barrymore party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I'm surprised somebody who used to speed around LA at 110 mph while at double the legal alcohol limit actually made it to that age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

rip rodney king sad news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I'm surprised somebody who used to speed around LA at 110 mph while at double the legal alcohol limit actually made it to that age.
    Me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

had been jailed for threatening a shopkeeper with an iron bar.

On the night of the beating, he was drunk at the wheel of his car and speeding

he was convicted of spousal abuse

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/01/rodney-king-learn-to-forgive

Classy guy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

So he's famous for being beaten because officers thought he had a gun when he refused arrest after a high speed chase while drunk. All this while on parole after a robbery.

I never knew this was how the LA riots started. They've lost a lot of their meaning to me now tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

goodnight sweet prince

So he's famous for being beaten because officers thought he had a gun when he refused arrest after a high speed chase while drunk. All this while on parole after a robbery.

I never knew this was how the LA riots started. They've lost a lot of their meaning to me now tbh.

News to me that they claimed they thought he had a gun.

I suggest watching this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAc718W8axM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

I couldn't disagree more - there is no justification for a police officer to use excessive force. No matter what kind of scumbag they're dealing with

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

mirekb wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more - there is no justification for a police officer to use excessive force. No matter what kind of scumbag they're dealing with

I'm not justifying the excessive force, I'm saying that the officers getting off doesn't justify the LA riots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Oh please don't let the thread descend into this..

Sorry, I may have misunderstood this - I took it to mean that as Rodney was a bit of a scumbag then the riots weren't justified.
    I'm not justifying the excessive force, I'm saying that the officers getting off doesn't justify the LA riots.

I think it was a tinderbox anyway and all it needed was a spark - it was kinda irrelevant what that spark was
    Oh please don't let the thread descend into this..

It's a subject relevant to Rodney King, no? We're debating rather than arguing:D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

3.8 million he got from the city of L.A

Wonder how long it took him and his cronies to get through that amount of booze, crystal meth, wife beater tshirts, and the rest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I would imagine (seriously) that the LAPD are real sorry to hear this news.

jayteecork wrote: »
    3.8 million he got from the city of L.A

Wonder how long it took him and his cronies to get through that amount of booze, crystal meth, wife beater tshirts, and the rest?

any other stereotypes you want to throw in?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/08/rodney-king-marry-jury-member
    Kelley was juror number five, the only black member of the jury, and argued passionately that King deserved appropriate compensation for the assault. After the case she recalled: "The other jurors said, 'Let's just award him $100,000, you know he's just gonna blow it anyway.'"
    Rodney King, whose beating in 1991 by four white Los Angeles police officers sparked riots in which dozens died and blocks of the city were torched, is to marry a member of the jury that awarded him $3.8m (£2.5m) compensation.
    AH question.

Does she get to keep the money ?

Nodin wrote: »
    any other stereotypes you want to throw in?

Er what, most of the things I mentioned are white redneck stereotypes.

Rodney King was no saint, let's just say that.

Er what, most of the things I mentioned are white redneck stereotypes. .

And why did you throw them out in this thread? They just lying on the clipboard and you decided to c&p them?
    Rodney King was no saint, let's just say that.

I don't recall stating that he was.

I do believe however, thats he's entitled to live without being beaten to the extent of having brain damage, that those who gave him same should have been convicted of what they did, and that fucking out half arsed stereotypes is a way of underming the legitamacy of his case.

• Advertisement

And why did you throw them out in this thread? They just lying on the clipboard and you decided to c&p them?

I don't recall stating that he was.

I do believe however, thats he's entitled to live without being beaten to the extent of having brain damage, that those who gave him same should have been convicted of what they did, and that fucking out half arsed stereotypes is a way of underming the legitamacy of his case.

He claims it was the beating that did the brain damage. He was also involved in a ridiculous amount of car crashes and has been a heavy alcoholic for decades. Drug use too I assume that he won't admit to. So call me a cynic but I'm just wondering.

He claims it was the beating that did the brain damage..

You've evidence it didn't?
    He was also involved in a ridiculous amount of car crashes and has been a heavy alcoholic for decades..

...which, last I knew, doesn't justify a beating involving a tasering and around 60 blows.
    Drug use too I assume that he won't admit to. So call me a cynic but I'm just wondering.

Just wondering what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Quality police work.....

"Rialto Police Captain Randy Deanda said on Sunday King was found "unresponsive" at the bottom of his pool"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Jaysus. Just watched the clip of his run in with the LAPD there. He took some hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

f**k him, he was only a scumbag anyways regardless of what cops done to him, look at the s**t he pulled before 1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

f**k him, he was only a scumbag anyways regardless of what cops done to him, look at the s**t he pulled before 1991

Lovely sense of proportion there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

It wasn't right what the police did but I don't believe the man should be put on a pedestal. He continued to drink and drive dangerously and act like a scum bag even after everything that happened. It was terrible what happened but he's no hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I hate goody good people.

The man was scum.

He deserved to get treated like scum.

• Advertisement

The man was scum.

You hate me? :(

And it's ok for the police to beat up people they regard as scum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Shouldn't have been beaten to a pulp by the LAPD officers.

Other than that... meh.
    Truley wrote: »
    It wasn't right what the police did but I don't believe the man should be put on a pedestal. He continued to drink and drive dangerously and act like a scum bag even after everything that happened. It was terrible what happened but he's no hero.

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Rodney King was a violent thug , jury were right to acquit the Police officers involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

The man was scum.

The police are there to...well POLICE. The most a police officer can inflict as a punishment is a spot fine or a caution. They are not there to dole out justice as they see fit. That is the job of the courts and the penal system. What you are basically saying is you hate people who believe in a system of apprehension and presentation at court for a fair trial based on submitted evidence. He may have been scum but there's a legal procedure for dealing with scum that was not adhered to in this instance.

Delancey wrote: »
    Rodney King was a violent thug , jury were right to acquit the Police officers involved.

My arse.

Given the fact that we know exactly what happened, that comment coming from a member of a police service is somewhat troubling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The police are there to...well POLICE. The most a police officer can inflict as a punishment is a spot fine or a caution. They are not there to dole out justice as they see fit. That is the job of the courts and the penal system. What you are basically saying is you hate people who believe in a system of apprehension and presentation at court for a fair trial based on submitted evidence. He may have been scum but there's a legal procedure for dealing with scum that was not adhered to in this instance.

While I think some of the comments here are a little harsh the justice system tends to let a lot of scum away with little or no penance.

• Advertisement

Exactly my point. I don't care whether he was scum or not but I do care that the society in which he lives states that it is ok for the police to abuse their power. They are the ones who MUST uphold the law of the land. If someone else decided to beat him up I'd listen to arguments as to why he deserved it (although I'm not an advocate of violence, personally) but for the POLICE to do it is simply wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Looking at the forums you moderate, I hope to fúck you are not a cop, you should be fúcking ashamed of yourself if you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    While I think some of the comments here are a little harsh the justice system tends to let a lot of scum away with little or no penance.

I agree - the scum do not always get what they deserve. On the up side I would hope that not too many innocent people are convicted of crimes they did not commit either. If you make it easier to get a conviction, less hard evidence required etc you increase the chance of convicting innocent people. It's a fine line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I would imagine (seriously) that the LAPD are real sorry to hear this news.

I expect the only thing they're annoyed with is the trouble they're having trying to get a chalk outline to stick to the bottom of the pool. Someone will no doubt advise them that it would be a good idea to let the water out first.

Looking at the forums you moderate, I hope to fúck you are not a cop, you should be fúcking ashamed of yourself if you are.

Apparently he is. Nice.

Whilst I understand it is difficult to see society at its lowest and not become corrupted by it, it is always sad it happens

• Advertisement

You hate me? :(

And it's ok for the police to beat up people they regard as scum?

You do realise that he tried to set these officers to be beaten up in first place?

You do realise that he tried to set these officers to be beaten up in first place?

Rrreally. You've evidence of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

I hope to fúck you are not a cop, you should be fúcking ashamed of yourself if you are.

Why should he be ashamed? The guy was a thug, he got what de deserved, he resisted arrest initially, kicking one officer in the chest, no surprise that he got a few kicks as sometimes thats all thugs like him understand.

As someone else said too many PC bleeding heart liberals here.

Rrreally. You've evidence of this?

yes really.

hence why it was King looking for them then other way around.

People who were meant to set them up even admitted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Jesus what a load of fucking bollox. Can't believe someone has this thought process in this day and age

So? I think we've ascertained that he may not have been the nicest man himself but that doesn't excuse a loss of self control on the officers part.

franklyon wrote: »
    Why should he be ashamed? The guy was a thug, he got what de deserved, he resisted arrest initially, kicking one officer in the chest, no surprise that he got a few kicks as sometimes thats all thugs like him understand. .

He was tasered and hit over 60 times.
    franklyon wrote: »
    As someone else said too many PC bleeding heart liberals here.

Yeah, yeah. We've heard that one before.

yes really.

hence why it was King looking for them then other way around.

People who were meant to set them up even admitted it.

You've a source for this?

So? I think we've ascertained that he may not have been the nicest man himself but that doesn't excuse a loss of self control on the officers part.

I aint no fan of Police forces in lot of countries, but if your life was in danger and all that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I aint no fan of Police forces in lot of countries, but if your life was in danger and all that
    Their lives clearly weren't in danger when they were beating a man almost to death.

• Advertisement
Advertisement