Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rodney King Found Dead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Under what circumstances are they mandated to beat the ****e out of someone who's lying defenselessly on the ground?

When they've been resisting arrest and still aren't compliant. :)

Once he gave up the beating went away, as it should. If Rodney had been a good boy it would never have happened. Silly boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bambi wrote: »

Once he gave up the beating went away, as it should. If Rodney had been a good boy it would never have happened. Silly boy.

Are you looking for attention again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You and I must have seen different videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

don't believe all you see on the internet, though the wizard of oz movie edit is a strange one

Oh I'm sorry I thought you might have read up a bit on the case rather than watched the edited highlights.

VEN wrote: »
    don't believe all you see on the internet, though the wizard of oz movie edit is a strange one

And what about this?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79258433&postcount=79

I see, the man being beaten on the ground was CGI was it?

Oh I'm sorry I thought you might have read up a bit on the case rather than watched the edited highlights.

I've read up on the case, and, as on previous occassions, you're talking bollocks.

Enlighten me, what is it I don't know that justifies a man being almost beaten to death by people who are supposed to enforce the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I DO SOLEMNLY DECLARE UPON MY HONOUR AND CONSCIENCE THAT I WILL ACT AT ALL TIMES TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY AND KNOWLEDGE IN A MANNER BEFITTING A POLICE OFFICER

I WILL PRESERVE THE DIGNITY AND WILL RESPECT THE RIGHTS OF ALL INDIVIDUALS

I WILL DISCHARGE MY DUTIES WITH INTEGRITY AND WILL PROMOTE UNDERSTANDING AND CONCILIATION

I WILL EXERCISE MY AUTHORITY AS A POLICE OFFICER IN THE MANNER INTENDED BY THE LAW

I WILL FAITHFULLY OBEY THE ORDERS OF MY SUPERIORS AND WILL BE READY TO CONFRONT DANGER IN THE LINE OF DUTY

I WILL ACT WITH HONESTY, COURTESY AND REGARD FOR THE WELFARE OF OTHERS, AND WILL ENDEAVOUR TO DEVELOP THE ESPRIT DE CORPS

I WILL ACT JUSTLY AND IMPARTIALLY AND WITH PROPRIETY TOWARDS MY FELLOW OFFICERS

I WILL CONSTANTLY STRIVE TO HONOUR THIS OATH IN MY SERVICE AS A POLICE OFFICER

That is the ethical oat for all police officers,There are some here including a moderator for recruitment to the PSNI who should take note of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Are people actually surprised that a member of a police force advocating excessive violence when their authority is threatened?. A fair few of them would be locked up themselves if they weren't wearing badges.

Enlighten me, what is it I don't know that justifies a man being almost beaten to death by people who are supposed to enforce the law?

He was almost beaten to death now? :confused:

He was almost beaten to death now? :confused:

So you're not going to answer my question then? I'm shocked.

i'm beginning to think that maybe they should of given RK the night sticks :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

i'm beginning to think that maybe they should of given RK the night sticks :/

They did :( All over his body.

So you're not going to answer my question then? I'm shocked.

Your question about someone almost being beaten to death? That one?

realies wrote: »
    They did :( All over his body.

har har

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I always got him and Don King confused.

"Rodney King never got beaten up, sure around that period wasn't he managing Mike Tyson?" :pac:

Your question about someone almost being beaten to death? That one?

Or you can carry on trolling if you prefer.

• Advertisement

Or you can carry on trolling if you prefer.

Only if you carry on exaggerating :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Wow. A thread about Rodney King on an Irish board. I mean, I understand that the LA Riots of 92 were the worst riots to hit the US in the 20th Century, but I didn't think the man and his passing would warrant a thread.

Especially a thread that seems to lack much context.

The beating of Rodney King was symbolic because there had been decades of allegations made against the LA police department. These allegations specifically were on the grounds of police brutality and racism. There were other individuals who were beaten mercilessly by the LAPD, and some of them died as a result of their injuries. The legacy of Rodney King's beating rests in the fact that his beating happened to be video taped by a man. It was proof supporting the years of allegations made against the LAPD. In spite of the acquittal, the LAPD was turned upside down by this video tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

bnt wrote: »
    Breaking News: Rodney King has been found dead, at the age of 47. He was the guy who coined the phrase "can't we all just get along?" after he was beat up by cops in 1991 after a traffic stop. The cops were later acquitted, sparking the LA Riots of 1992.

the media portray him as an innocent black man when he was driving while under the influence endangering lives and was only stopped after a high speed chase.

if he were in ireland he would be a tracksuit wearing scumbag and no one would have pity for him.
    we could all get along if folks like him obeyed the law.

after the riots he went back to his drink driving. he dies as he lived recklessly.

the blacks in LA are regarded the same way as the travelling community here. King was no victim, just someone who could milk the system. the LA riots wold have happened without him.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the media portray him as an innocent black man when he was driving while under the influence endangering lives and was only stopped after a high speed chase.

if he were in ireland he would be a tracksuit wearing scumbag and no one would have pity for him.

after the riots he went back to his drink driving. he dies as he lived recklessly.

but... but... he was black?

also a case here last year "Man cleared of assaulting burglar twice with his car"

i do recall how happy the general public were that this man was cleared. the burglar did manage to sue him though for a rather large sum. strange old world. now what if he was black?

jayteecork wrote: »
    Er what, most of the things I mentioned are white redneck stereotypes.

Rodney King was no saint, let's just say that.

nor was he just another innocent black man or modern day Martin Luther King

• Advertisement

the blacks in LA are regarded the same way as the travelling community here. King was no victim, just someone who could milk the system. the LA riots wold have happened without him.

King suffered massive damage as a result of the beating. In fact, one of his eye sockets was shattered, and he had to have reconstructive surgery to repair it. They removed his eyeball and replaced the bone with a metal plate. As a result of this, he suffered severe headaches for the rest of his life. That's milking the system?

Actually, the media has always portrayed him as a flawed individual who had problems before he was beaten and problems after he was beaten.

King suffered massive damage as a result of the beating. In fact, one of his eye sockets was shattered, and he had to have reconstructive surgery to repair it. They removed his eyeball and replaced the bone with a metal plate. As a result of this, he suffered severe headaches for the rest of his life. That's milking the system?

he endangered lives by recklessly driving and then resisted arrest.

in this country four guards lost their jobs after arresting a scumbag at his mothers. he had previously broken the jaw of one of the guards and had the gumption to wail police brutality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Start a riot

Trash your own neighbourhood :confused:

I'd understand if they felt resentful and went rioting in some rich area

But instead they looted from their local stores and burned their own streets, bizarre

Wouldn't happen in Japan, better class of people

the media portray him as an innocent black man when he was driving while under the influence endangering lives and was only stopped after a high speed chase..

....which isn't a crime warranting being beaten to a pulp.

if he were in ireland he would be a tracksuit wearing scumbag and no one would have pity for him..

Speak for yourself son.

• Advertisement

So now its borderline racism and the denial of reality? Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Start a riot

But instead they looted from their local stores and burned their own streets, bizarre

They are too busy still documenting their war atrocities.

Start a riot

it doesnt matter if they trash their own neighbourhood. just like hear they live off handouts so if they trash the place its no loss. the city will just build it up again.

any excuse for a riot. just like in britain. makes looting a lot easier.

Nodin wrote: »
    So now its borderline racism and the denial of reality? Well done.

I do not care much for PC. I live close to the travelling community and they are less than model citizens. I can imagine how the citizens of LA feel about welfare blacks and white trash.reality is how you perceive it. I know a few police officers here and their work has made them 'racist'

Speak for yourself son.

two scumbags in a stolen car nearly ran me over. were the guards to beat them to a pulp I would not be bothered.

I do not care much for PC. I live close to the travelling community and they are less than model citizens. I can imagine how the citizens of LA feel about welfare blacks and white trash.reality is how you perceive it. I know a few police officers here and their work has made them 'racist'

Does your car horn play 'dixie'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Saying you are not "PC" does not excuse your borderline racism / classism / general douchebagery.

Saying you are not "PC" does not excuse your borderline racism / classism / general douchebagery.

....and when you're coming out with racist crap, its a fairly redundant remark, lets face it.

What goes around..

He threatened a shopkeeper with an iron bar and was convicted over it
    He didn't hold back from threatening violence on others

Frightens a shopkeeper with a deadly weapon and he got a beating later on for another crime. Seems just

What goes around..

Frightens a shopkeeper with a deadly weapon and he got a beating later on for another crime. Seems just

There are times I fucking despair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Does your car horn play 'dixie'?

Mine does! :)

(It actually does :o)

What goes around..

no , apparently its racist. his apologists would argue he was a victim of circumstance and driven to a life of crime by an unjust white society. much like scumbags we have here. how does that sound Nodin?

There are times I fucking despair.

I know, wouldn't you just love to throw a rock at anyone who disagrees with you?

no , apparently its racist. his apologists would argue he was a victim of circumstance and driven to a life of crime by an unjust white society. much like scumbags we have here. how does that sound Nodin?

He was a chronic alcoholic who did a number of stupid things in his life, none of which deserved the beating he received. The police who delivered the beating had previous form in that regard, and may well have been partly motivated by his race.

I know, wouldn't you just love to throw a rock at anyone who disagrees with you?

O no. The justice system in this country and in the US bears no resemblance whatsoever to the primitive model he advocates and short of the Apocalypse and the return to hunter-gatherer lifestyles, its not going to. Thus, no rocks are needed.

He was a chronic alcoholic who did a number of stupid things in his life, none of which deserved the beating he received. The police who delivered the beating had previous form in that regard, and may well have been partly motivated by his race.

in other words what you are trying to say is that he was a waste of space and did more harm than good and if he were white trash he would not have made headlines anywhere.

in other words what you are trying to say is that he was a waste of space and did more harm than good and if he were white trash he would not have made headlines anywhere.

....yeah, theres no sympathy for "whitey".

O...wait......
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78575742

Sympathy for a schizophrenic homeless man

No sympathy for a thug who threatens a shopkeeper with an iron bar, gets convicted of spousal abuse and drives at speed while drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

No sympathy for a thug who threatens a shopkeeper with an iron bar, gets convicted of spousal abuse and drives at speed while drunk

If the cops got a beating the week after karma would have been restored then?

This is just getting silly. He was a criminal who was racially assaulted by police. He is now dead. But of a non-story.

• Advertisement

Yes, well the world tried your "system of justice" and funny enough, it didn't work.

Advertisement