Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rodney King Found Dead

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

racially assaulted

no convictions

Why didn't they get charged with a hate crime so?
    They were not even charged

You seem very certain it was about race
    Nodin wrote: »
    Yes, well the world tried your "system of justice" and funny enough, it didn't work.

It didn't work alright
    After the trial he went back to crime
    Spousal abuse in 1995
    And yet more convictions for speeding and drink driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mikemac1 wrote: »
    no convictions

Why didn't they get charged with a hate crime so?
    They were not even charged

You seem very certain it was about race

Did you bother reading the thread?
    It didn't work alright
    After the trial he went back to crime
    Spousal abuse in 1995
    And yet more convictions for speeding and drink driving

So even by your so called standards, it didn't do any good, other than to scar a man for life. Thankfully the law has progressed past the stage you want to drag it back to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I read it all

You can't just assume he got a beating as he was black and declare with certainty he was racially assaulted

I read it all

You can't just assume he got a beating as he was black and declare with certainty he was racially assaulted

Well, if it barks like a dog, craps like a dog etc....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79258433&postcount=79
    I think its safe to say that race played some part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Well, if it barks like a dog, craps like a dog etc....
    I think its safe to say that race played some part.

he tried to run away from them and the cops would have restrained anyone of any race in the same manner. some of these lovable rogues go to bite while they are being restraining . he got what he deserved. black or white, he was scum.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    he tried to run away from them and the cops would have restrained anyone of any race in the same manner..

You'll find most people restrained by the police aren't tasered and hit over sixty times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Black people rioted and used this little skidmark as their hero . Just like the London riots started when another little toerag got a hiding . Maybe the police seen a scumbag and went over the top . It was the black people that seen the race thing . The police officers may have beaten a white scumbag just the same .
    Sometimes the only language they understand is a slap or two . If a black cop had of been involved in the beating there still would have been a riot and the rioters would have called him a Mr Brown . I think the racism in the case was seen by the rioters looking for an excuse to riot.
    Black people seem to see colour more than white people do if you ask me.

cloptrop wrote: »
    Black people rioted and used this little skidmark as their hero . Just like the London riots started when another little toerag got a hiding . Maybe the police seen a scumbag and went over the top . It was the black people that seen the race thing . The police officers may have beaten a white scumbag just the same .
    Sometimes the only language they understand is a slap or two . If a black cop had of been involved in the beating there still would have been a riot and the rioters would have called him a Mr Brown . I think the racism in the case was seen by the rioters looking for an excuse to riot.

Really? For starters the riot wasn't after he got a beating, it was after the cops got off.

As regards who sees "colour"....
    . Shortly before the King beating, Powell's and Wind's patrol unit transmitted the computer message that an earlier domestic dispute between an African-American couple was "right out of 'Gorillas in the Mist'," a reference to a motion picture about the study of gorillas in Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You'll find most people restrained by the police aren't tasered and hit over sixty times.

Because most people get the message after being tasered for the third time and start abiding by lawful directions :confused:

Really? For starters the riot wasn't after he got a beating, it was after the cops got off.

Yes but they rioted because they wanted to see the cops fry for beating a black man , if a white man took a hiding they wouldnt care,
    Gorrillas in the mist could have just meant it was like something out of the jungle they could have likened a crazy white person domestic the same way , Im sure if you went through every police report of any cop you could find something in it that could be construed in a racist way . A court found them not guilty black people rioting because of this was a way of showing they didnt respect the court or they wanted to loot. Nothing else . You hug so many trees dude I hope you wear protection.

• Advertisement

Yes but they rioted because they wanted to see the cops fry for beating a black man , if a white man took a hiding they wouldnt care,
    Gorrillas in the mist could have just meant it was like something out of the jungle they could have likened a crazy white person domestic the same way , Im sure if you went through every police report of any cop you could find something in it that could be construed in a racist way .

No, thats the same cops the same night. From a report into the incident. Considering the names and link was included along with "Shortly before the king beating...", I shouldn't really have to point that out.
    A court found them not guilty black people rioting because of this was a way of showing they didnt respect the court or they wanted to loot. Nothing else . ....

Yet the LAPD was reorganised because of it.

No, thats the same cops the same night. From a report into the incident. Considering the names and link was included along with "Shortly before the king beating...", I shouldn't really have to point that out.

Yet the LAPD was reorganised because of it.

Part one : yes thats what I said , if I posted I love eating drifter bars before I went and beat a black man up it doesnt neccesarily mean Im a racist.

Part 2 : yes its called politics they had to keep the black voting and rioting public happy

Part one : yes thats what I said , if I posted I love eating drifter bars before I went and beat a black man up it doesnt neccesarily mean Im a racist.

However if you say something with racist overtones, have previous form on beatings, in a force with a history of racism.....
    Part 2 : yes its called politics they had to keep the black voting and rioting public happy

So all the official reports were made up then?

However if you say something with racist overtones, have previous form on beatings, in a force with a history of racism.....

So all the official reports were made up then?

Part one has this officer ever beat a white man?

Part 2 official reports ? What if the official reports said everything is grand in the police force ? More riots I presume?

Part one has this officer ever beat a white man??

I've no idea. What's your point?
    Part 2 official reports ? What if the official reports said everything is grand in the police force ? More riots I presume?

You implied nothing was wrong. All investigations showed otherwise. Do you have evidence to show that subsequent investigations were faked?

I've no idea. What's your point?

You implied nothing was wrong. All investigations showed otherwise. Do you have evidence to show that subsequent investigations were faked?

Yawn man ,part one . my point is he would have beat that scumbag whether he was black ,white or purple.

Part two you asked could an official document be wrong ? an official document found him innocent , and an official document would have found a reason to be prejudiced.

Yawn man ,part one . my point is he would have beat that scumbag whether he was black ,white or purple..

You've proof of that?
    Part two you asked could an official document be wrong ? an official document found him innocent , and an official document would have found a reason to be prejudiced.

You really haven't a clue, have you?

http://www.usc.edu/libraries/archives/cityinstress/reb/i.htm

http://www.parc.info/client_files/Special%20Reports/1%20-%20Chistopher%20Commision.pdf

http://books.google.ie/books/about/The_city_in_crisis.html?id=LZHaAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

Why don't you go off and do a bit of reading and get back to me.

I dont need to read your tree hugging propaganda . I see you waving your banner on here whenever you get a chance . You are a bully you just try to bully people who the liberal brigade think are in the wrong , whether it be isreali/palestinians a copper who used his bat once too often , thats just what I remember you spread your hate on here as much as you can and do it in the cause of being morally good. If I was arsed reading what you want me to read Id go through your posts and find all your incitefully racist posts . But to be honest you go champion this King chap , he deserves it Im sure .
    He is such a hero his life of debauchery and scumbagism lead to changes in the police and millions of dollars of damage . Great guy.

I dont need to read your tree hugging propaganda . .

These are official reports into the incident, commissioned by the authorities and acted on by the LAPD. Why don't you address the content of them?
    I see you waving your banner on here whenever you get a chance . You are a bully you just try to bully people who the liberal brigade think are in the wrong , whether it be isreali/palestinians a copper who used his bat once too often , thats just what I remember you spread your hate on here as much as you can and do it in the cause of being morally good. If I was arsed reading what you want me to read Id go through your posts and find all your incitefully racist posts . But to be honest you go champion this King chap , he deserves it Im sure .
    He is such a hero his life of debauchery and scumbagism lead to changes in the police and millions of dollars of damage . Great guy.

So I'm a tree hugger a bully and a racist? Jaysus. What a busy lad I am.

These are official reports into the incident, commissioned by the authorities and acted on by the LAPD. Why don't you address the content of them?

So I'm a tree hugger a bully and a racist? Jaysus. What a busy lad I am.

Part 1 it was an official courtcase that found them innocent.

Part 2 yes its been 17000 posts of it now you really have been busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Jaysus somebody's nerve has been hit.

Part 1 it was an official courtcase that found them innocent. .

So you still haven't read any of the reports then?

So you still haven't read any of the reports then?

Quote your smoking gun dude. If the report said that everything was cool and black folk were crazy think of the carnage.

Quote your smoking gun dude. If the report said that everything was cool and black folk were crazy think of the carnage.

More over-simplifications and nonsense. You don't understand the context of the incident, or know the facts of the case, which is fair enough, however you feel able to speak with authority and refuse point blank to engage with the facts, which most certainly isn't. Willful ignorance is not a pretty thing.

More over-simplifications and nonsense. You don't understand the context of the incident, or know the facts of the case, which is fair enough, however you feel able to speak with authority and refuse point blank to engage with the facts, which most certainly isn't. Willful ignorance is not a pretty thing.

You have no knowledge of politics and how things are portrayed to you and your sheep friends

You have no knowledge of politics and how things are portrayed to you and your sheep friends

Brilliant.

Are you going to address the contents of the reports now, or are you just trying to get the last word in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Huh?

Brilliant.

Are you going to address the contents of the reports now, or are you just trying to get the last word in?

Give me it in bullet points dude. You linked 700 pages reports . Did you read all of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Liberal brigade, PC brigade, Irish brigade.

Do people just add "brigade" to things when they have no facts?
    Give me it in bullet points dude. You linked 700 pages reports . Did you read all of them?

* Decades of reports on police brutality especially in L.A.
    * Rodney King incident happened to be filmed and thus proved the reports of misconduct.
    * Despite evidence of beatings beyond normal police restraint they were acquitted.
    * This was the "last straw" in decades (at least) of racial/social tension in LA that lead to the riots. (the King case was the ignition but the riots would likely have happened anyway)
    * No matter what King did before or after he did not deserve the beating he got that night.
    * He is dead now, so no matter what you think some respect.
    * "Can we all get along?… for the old people and the kids."

• Advertisement

Give me it in bullet points dude. ........

I linked it for you. Theres summaries on the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Guess two wrongs do make a riot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Wow, some people on here have literally no idea what they're talking about with regards to the racial tensions that existed in LA back then (and in many parts continue to exist). The Rodney King case was not a one off, out of the blue racist attack on a black man - it was video evidence of ongoing misconduct by the LAPD, misconduct that had been reported for years. The riots probably would have happened anyway due to the absolutely racist f*ckery that the LAPD were getting away with. King was simply a representative of that racism made internationally public for the first time. He wasn't the only one to be on the receiving end of police thuggery (and he most definitely wasn't the last), but he stands out as an icon of the riots because it was his case that brought the whole thing to light. Regardless of what kind of man he was, he, like many others, did not deserve that kind of beating and it wasn't the first and only time the LAPD did something like that. The LA riots were waiting to happen, and the King case just blew up a situation that was ready to blow anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Start a riot

Trash your own neighbourhood :confused:

I'd understand if they felt resentful and went rioting in some rich area

But instead they looted from their local stores and burned their own streets, bizarre

Wouldn't happen in Japan, better class of people

Again, comments without context.

Many of the stores burned down weren't their "own" stores. There has been an ongoing tension between urban Blacks and Asians for a long time in cities like LA. Asian store owners, usually Korean, operate establishments in neighborhoods where large chain grocery stores will not operate. Because of this, they are able to jack up the prices of goods knowing that people will have to take buses in order to get to larger grocery stores where the prices are more moderate. In addition, it has been an ongoing joke within the Black community, that most nail salons, black hair care stores, and corner shops are operated by Asians. However, instead of fostering a collaborative community where the shop owner provides a service and the community member supports his local business, many times you will encounter distrustful store owners who will treat their service population with distaste.

http://www.irwinator.com/126/wdoc204.htm

The riots in LA were an explosion of an oppressed community against another oppressed community; both fighting for their own resources.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I do not care much for PC. I live close to the travelling community and they are less than model citizens. I can imagine how the citizens of LA feel about welfare blacks and white trash.reality is how you perceive it. I know a few police officers here and their work has made them 'racist'

You can't imagine what the citizens of LA feel like because you don't understand the population involved. LA has 9 million residents. Half of that population is Latino and the other half is non-Latino.

White people have the privilege of not needing to see color, if they choose not to.

And, Rodney King went on record denouncing the riots that took place. He publicly mourned the loss of lives, and he made public statements asking people to stop the violence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

When the cops couldn't control the violent dirtbag with verbal directings, tasering and baton's there should have come a point were he should probably have been shot.

I don't know why people get so worked up over it.

Resist arrest in most countries and you're liable for a beatdown, I've no problem with this.. Continue to resist you'll get tazer'ed and at some point there has to be an ultimate deterent ~ the LAPD carry firearms, should have used them IMO.

When the cops couldn't (........)irearms, should have used them IMO.

Its not a war.

the riot was because some folks wanted to go stealing and needed a riot to cover their actions. Same as in Britain.

White people have the privilege of not needing to see color, if they choose not to.

And, Rodney King went on record denouncing the riots that took place. He publicly mourned the loss of lives, and he made public statements asking people to stop the violence.

not sure if it was about colour. you have hard working blacks who obey the law and make a contribution to society and then you have scumbag blacks who just take and create trouble. the latter need to be stopped.

Many of the stores burned down weren't their "own" stores. There has been an ongoing tension between urban Blacks and Asians for a long time in cities like LA. Asian store owners, usually Korean, operate establishments in neighborhoods where large chain grocery stores will not operate. Because of this, they are able to jack up the prices of goods knowing that people will have to take buses in order to get to larger grocery stores where the prices are more moderate. In addition, it has been an ongoing joke within the Black community, that most nail salons, black hair care stores, and corner shops are operated by Asians. However, instead of fostering a collaborative community where the shop owner provides a service and the community member supports his local business, many times you will encounter distrustful store owners who will treat their service population with distaste.

The riots in LA were an explosion of an oppressed community against another oppressed community; both fighting for their own resources.

I wonder could you call the tension between blacks and Asians racist?

• Advertisement

* Rodney King incident happened to be filmed and thus proved the reports of misconduct.
    * Despite evidence of beatings beyond normal police restraint they were acquitted.

Well no, the evidence showed the opposite, what you mean is despite the trial by media a jury acquitted them.

Just like with the OJ Simpson case, never mind the actual trial the media have declared him guilty so he must have been. Same ould s**te

When the cops couldn't control the violent dirtbag with verbal directings, tasering and baton's there should have come a point were he should probably have been shot.

I don't know why people get so worked up over it.

Resist arrest in most countries and you're liable for a beatdown, I've no problem with this.. Continue to resist you'll get tazer'ed and at some point there has to be an ultimate deterent ~ the LAPD carry firearms, should have used them IMO.

From memory, the Highway Patrol were present at the scene and bringing guns to the party but the LAPD officers told them to back off.

Think how idiotically racist the idea you are buying into is. Its like hitler wanting to burn the jew shops because they have jew gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Bambi wrote: »
    From memory, the Highway Patrol were present at the scene and bringing guns to the party but the LAPD officers told them to back off.

Are you saying the LAPD don't carry guns!?!:eek:

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Are you saying the LAPD don't carry guns!?!:eek:

I'm saying the highway patrol had their guns drawn on King and the LAPD officers told them to back off. Bet they regret that now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm saying the highway patrol had their guns drawn on King and the LAPD officers told them to back off. Bet they regret that now :pac:

The should have shot him.

He was a known violent offender, and had injured two cops at the scene. And despite being tazered and struck with batons he continued to resist arrest.

He was an animal out of his tits on PCP and drink, few people would have felt sorry for him had he been shot.

Anyway he's gone now, good luck to bad rubbish.

The should have shot him.

He was a known violent offender, and had injured two cops at the scene. And despite being tazered and struck with batons he continued to resist arrest.

He was an animal out of his tits on PCP and drink, few people would have felt sorry for him had he been shot.

Anyway he's gone now, good luck to bad rubbish.

He was known for waving an Iron bar at somebody. He tested negative for PCP.

He was known for waving an Iron bar at somebody. He tested negative for PCP.

Armed robbery and assault is now "waving an iron bar at somebody"? :confused:

Armed robbery and assault is now "waving an iron bar at somebody"?

Is there a beating where you weren't the cheerleader? Because at this stage its getting weird.

Is there a beating where you weren't the cheerleader? Because at this stage its getting weird.

Ah yes...Plan b, ad hominem, how ironic is that.

there was that one where the portland polis casually toed a fella a couple of times when he was face down and hand cuffed, I wasn't down with that. Oh and the NYPD fella clotheslining that cyclist, that just wasn't right, except on a karmic level :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement