Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rodney King Found Dead

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nodin wrote: »
    He was known for waving an Iron bar at somebody.

Oh look KARMA!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Oh look KARMA!.

I'm reasonably sure they didn't just wave things at him in a scary way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Waving iron bar warrants repeatedly beating him?

I hope you don't teach kids "self defense". (call ad hominem, I am serious)

I'm reasonably sure they didn't just wave things at him in a scary way.

Ok an honest question.. What should the cops have done to a person resisting arrest.. I know what you think they shouldn't have done ~ laid into him.

But given the same circumstances, taser's didn't work. They didn't have the option of non-lethal bean bag rounds so what in your opinion would have subdued the guy?.

what in your opinion would have subdued the guy?.

You mean the state troopers and the LAPD on the scene could not have subdued one man? (without beating him in the face repeatedly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Is there a beating where you weren't the cheerleader? Because at this stage its getting weird.

out of curiosity why did you give blind support to minorities all the time? you do not see to believe that they can do wrong lie the rest of humankind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Fuinseog wrote: »
    out of curiosity why did you give blind support to minorities all the time? you do not see to believe that they can do wrong lie the rest of humankind.

Because this is AH where de fordiners are always wrong, white people are oppressed in Western countries and knee-jerk reactionism is on the intellectual end of many responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You mean the state troopers and the LAPD on the scene could not have subdued one man? (without beating him in the face repeatedly)

Eh...they tried the subduing approach and it didn't work, so they tazered him and that didn't work, so they gave a few licks of the timber and that didn't work, so they gave him another dose of the timber (and some shoe leather, very naughty) and then Rodney decided to get with the program and they stopped.

Bambi wrote: »
    Eh...they tried the subduing approach and it didn't work, so they tazered him and that didn't work, so they gave a few licks of the timber and that didn't work, so they gave him another dose of the timber (and some shoe leather, very naughty) and then Rodney decided to get with the program and they stopped.

Wasn't there 7 officers there, do you seriously think 7 of them with handcuffs could not control one man? (with little or no hits of a baton)

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »

Humankind is largely a collection of minorities in one way or another.

However - Allow me to illustrate what goes on here all too often.

'Yellow man does something wrong' - thread title.

'OP - blah blah, and this proves that all yellow people are baby eating bastards'

Thats illogical and wrong.

Ok an honest question.. What should the cops have done to a person resisting arrest.. I know what you think they shouldn't have done ~ laid into him.

But given the same circumstances, taser's didn't work. They didn't have the option of non-lethal bean bag rounds so what in your opinion would have subdued the guy?.

Thats not quite the way it panned out. They appeared more intent in continually hitting the fecker than restraining him.
    http://www.savevid.com/video/rodney-king-beating-video-04b29b.html

Thats not quite the way it panned out. They appeared more intent in continually hitting the fecker than restraining him.
    http://www.savevid.com/video/rodney-king-beating-video-04b29b.html

First off thats a tiny clip compared to the full tape.

But even going on that, honestly I can see nothing wrong in what the LAPD officers action's.

Sure its not nice looking at someone take a beating, but as has been pointed out a number of times once King stopped resisting arrest he was hand cuffed and arrested.

What alternative did the officers have?.. You resist arrest so instead of using force to detain someone they just let him/her walk away?.

There has the be an ultimate deterent, and steps to take before that ~ ie verbal warnings, warning shots, containing shots, shots to injure and ultimately deadly force and I guess its the same when you work with batons.

Wasn't it after the LA riots that US police forces began equiping with non-lethal bean bag rounds?.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over him, but as unpleasant as his arrest was I do think the LAPD were justified in taking the steps they did.. Tbh, I think he's lucky he wasn't just shot.

There was 7-10 officers, and at least 1 pair of handcuffs and several cars.

They could have restrained him without repeatedly hitting him or kicking him. Again I really really hope you do not teach kids "self defense".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

all yellow people are baby eating bastards'

That's after hours :p

If the OP wanted serious debate it should have been posted in Humanities

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mitchaul

Oh the humanity!!! (said in a shrill ladyboy voice)

• Advertisement

They could have restrained him without repeatedly hitting him or kicking him.

21 cops were there during the beating - its on page 31 of the PDF.

http://www.parc.info/client_files/Special%20Reports/1%20-%20Chistopher%20Commision.pdf

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That's after hours :p

If the OP wanted serious debate it should have been posted in Humanities

You think they aren't serious?

They could have restrained him without repeatedly hitting him or kicking him. Again I really really hope you do not teach kids "self defense".

Sigh, I'll give you my attention for a moment..

Sure one cop could have restrained him with a choke/sleeper hold.. But they're not allowed use them in the LAPD because they're considered dangerous.

Joint locks/manipulation work to an extent but are limited against a strong, violent person and so potentially dangerous to apply.

Batons mean's the officer can stand off and strike. Most people will submit very quickly there after, but if you contine being violent and resisting arrest then don't go looking for pity from me.

Now you keep sniping about self defence training ~ I don't teach self defence, but if I was to teach anyone anything about being arrested I'd tell them not to resist and do as they're told, simple as but as I said I don't teach the stuff.

First off thats a tiny clip compared to the full tape.

But even going on that, honestly I can see nothing wrong in what the LAPD officers action's.

Sure its not nice looking at someone take a beating, but as has been pointed out a number of times once King stopped resisting arrest he was hand cuffed and arrested.

What alternative did the officers have?.. You resist arrest so instead of using force to detain someone they just let him/her walk away?.

There has the be an ultimate deterent, and steps to take before that ~ ie verbal warnings, warning shots, containing shots, shots to injure and ultimately deadly force and I guess its the same when you work with batons.

Wasn't it after the LA riots that US police forces began equiping with non-lethal bean bag rounds?.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over him, but as unpleasant as his arrest was I do think the LAPD were justified in taking the steps they did.. Tbh, I think he's lucky he wasn't just shot.

I posted the full length video earlier in the thread but youtube have removed it, because they're a shower of assholes. Its not any prettier.

I didn't say they shouldn't use force. However theres use of force to do a job and perform a function, and theres use of force for sheer thuggerys sake.

They primarily worked the body with the batons and not the legs. Its bog standard to go for the legs with the baton. Nobody attempted to get behind him on a number of occassions when he could have been restrained with a chokehold using the baton or whatever, including when he was on his hand and knees on the ground.

The 18 other cops who stood by watching didn't seem overly concerned for the safety of their colleagues.

They primarily worked the body with the batons and not the legs. Its bog standard to go for the legs with the baton. Nobody attempted to get behind him on a number of occassions when he could have been restrained with a chokehold using the baton or whatever, including when he was on his hand and knees on the ground.

I'm off sick with an ol' bug and really don't have the engery to go looking.

But I've read up on choke holds, including using them with a baton, and so far as I can recall they've been outlawed by most police forces (including the LAPD).

I'll just say this about choke's, and I've used them more times than I could ever remember ~ they're difficult to apply, but they're very effective and putting someone out cold. But its only for seconds, and they're disorientated for a bit longer.. But its enough time to apply cuff's or leg restraints so maybe cops should be allowed use them.
    including when he was on his hand and knees on the ground

On the street, wearing boots/shoes I'd never go to the ground to apply a sleeper on anyone ~ not a chance in hell tbh.

• Advertisement

Sure one cop could have restrained him with a choke/sleeper hold.. But they're not allowed use them in the LAPD because they're considered dangerous.

Joint locks/manipulation work to an extent but are limited against a strong, violent person and so potentially dangerous to apply.

Batons mean's the officer can stand off and strike. Most people will submit very quickly there after, but if you contine being violent and resisting arrest then don't go looking for pity from me.

Now you keep sniping about self defence training ~ I don't teach self defence, but if I was to teach anyone anything about being arrested I'd tell them not to resist and do as they're told, simple as but as I said I don't teach the stuff.

You don't have to choke him to restrain him, just because you know martial arts stop thinking it should be applied to everything.

21 officers could easily restrain one man, safely and with little to no harm to anyone.

Good, I am glad you don't teach it.

There was 10+ officers sitting back doing nothing, not one officer there was in any danger and they could have cuffed him very quickly with no more than one baton hit at most and then straight into one of the many patrol cars.

I'm off sick with an ol' bug and really don't have the engery to go looking.

But I've read up on choke holds, including using them with a baton, and so far as I can recall they've been outlawed by most police forces (including the LAPD).

I'll just say this about choke's, and I've used them more times than I could ever remember ~ they're difficult to apply, but they're very effective and putting someone out cold. But its only for seconds, and they're disorientated for a bit longer.. But its enough time to apply cuff's or leg restraints so maybe cops should be allowed use them.

They're restricted in use by the LAPD but not totally outlawed.
    http://laist.com/2008/10/30/lapd_officer_uses_blood_choke_on_su.php

They were using them as the first port of call, rather than one of the later ones it seems, hence a large number of deaths, lawsuits and the restriction.

21 officers could easily restrain one man, safely and with little to no harm to anyone.

21 officers could not easily restrain one man.

Two would be nice, three would be ideal after which it just turns into a mess.

But damn he was a big lad!.

On the street, wearing boots/shoes I'd never go to the ground to apply a sleeper on anyone ~ not a chance in hell tbh.

Not even with two others with ye?
    I'm off sick with an ol' bug .

Immodium plus. Great man.

21 officers could not easily restrain one man.

Two would be nice, three would be ideal after which it just turns into a mess.

But damn he was a big lad!.

I did not say all 21 should have tackled him at once, but with 21 there was very little danger so they had time to restrain him in the best way possible.

2 police units, with time and resources should not have resorted to multiple hits with batons and kicks.

He was not big enough to cause any real danger to 3 officers with 18 more behind them should he magically become the hulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

is he still dead? Good.

Not even with two others with ye?

Using a choke, no. They are dangerous and you have to be able to feel your victim the person go limp and release the hold (then its not dangerous)

If you went after someone (to the ground) for a choke there's a pretty good chance a person of King's size and strength would reverse you and beat you up.

Immodium plus. Great man.

Paracetamol are doing the trick for the moment, thanks all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Technically most american police depts are allowed use sleeper holds but it's considered lethal force so it's at the top end of their use of force spectrum. The cops in the king arrest were able to show that they started at the bottom end of the spectrum and only escalated when the previous level of force failed. Went a big way to their acquittal I would say. That's not a great headline though :cool:

VEN wrote: »
    is he still dead? Good.

Yeah, you're a big man now, fair play to ye.

VEN wrote: »
    is he still dead? Good.

Why?.

While I don't feel the least bit sorry that he's dead I wouldn't rejoice either.

• Advertisement

there's a pretty good chance a person of King's size and strength would reverse you and beat you up.

Then any single one of the 20 other officers would very quickly restrain him and cuff him.

If this was one on one the actions could be justified, possibly, but the sheer amount of officers shows they overreacted.

You can not say 21 police officers needed to repeatedly kick and baton a single man.

Paracetamol are doing the trick for the moment, thanks all the same.

All good. The other things are for gastric bugs. More expensive than a cork, but more comfortable in the long run.

All good. The other things are for gastric bugs. More expensive than a cork, but more comfortable in the long run.

This is just flu like... I feel like Rodney King after a bating, but without the compo :pac:

This is just flu like... I feel like Rodney King after a bating, but without the compo :pac:

Or like him after he drank the compo.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Yeah, you're a big man now, fair play to ye.

thanks! anytime man!

You do not look like this, or even feel like this if it is just a flu

You shouldn't even be joking about it.

Delancey wrote: »
    Rodney King was a violent thug , jury were right to acquit the Police officers involved.

Well, the RUC and those police officers would have a lot in common?;)

You're right I don't ~ because winking at the camera is so damned cheesy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Any sign of Barrymore near the pool?

• Advertisement

Any sign of Barrymore near the pool?

King was bate around the road, not the ring :p

The police officers thought they were in the ring by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Wasn't there 7 officers there, do you seriously think 7 of them with handcuffs could not control one man? (with little or no hits of a baton)

you would see the same amount of guards trying to subdue a delinquent. the difference is they have to ask the person nicely.

Advertisement