Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need my dog neutered

• 17-06-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi, i have a female jack russell and im getting her neutered. i went to a local vet and i have been quoted 160euro. is this the normal price?its a bit more than i expected. is there any way i can get it done cheaper? our other dog wasnt so expensive. im out of work too at the minute. is there still help out there for people in my situation to neuter pets? any help is appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

JackerT wrote: »
    hi, i have a female jack russell and im getting her neutered. i went to a local vet and i have been quoted 160euro. is this the normal price?its a bit more than i expected. is there any way i can get it done cheaper? our other dog wasnt so expensive. im out of work too at the minute. is there still help out there for people in my situation to neuter pets? any help is appreciated, thanks.

If you're out of work and on the dole, or receiving other SW benefits, you should qualify to get your dog spayed under the Dog's Trust Scheme, at a cost of €20. However, most vets get their Dog's Trust voucher books at the start of the year, and only have a certain amount allocated to them, and so many vets have run out of them by this time of the year.
    You could try ringing around, especially more rural surgeries as uptake tends to be lower in less populated areas.
    Otherwise, €160 is probably about right for a JRT spay... I don't know if your other dog is male or female, but castration is usually cheaper than spaying for similarly sized dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

I paid 155 to get my female dog done but she was 25kg at the time so I think 160 for a Jr seems expensive. Id definatly call other places and make sure aftercare is included like any antibiotics and cone if she needs it.

Advertisement