Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is 7up good for you when you're sick??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

When we were younger my brother got very sick over in France. He was in hospital for a few days and they asked him did he like Coke, Sprite, Fanta, etc. He said Coke and they gave him flat Coke, as much as he wanted (I think they had hacked their machine not to carbonate it.)

My parents asked the doctor why, and they said that it was because people like Coke, Fanta, 7up, etc. and so they'd be willing to drink it. It has the added benefit of being full of sugar, which sick people will be low on, but the base of it was that getting a sick person to drink anything is good for them to avoid dehydration. If someone preferred tea, they'd give them tea, or water with glucose dissolved in it, but really it's just to get people to keep drinking, so they don't end up on a drip. Or to supplant a drip if they do have one.

The only thing I know that is actually good for the stomach, is coffee. A small amount, like a single cup or an espresso helps with digestion, and can cut through bloatedness. And that's the root of places offering a coffee after dinner. But in hospitals, the root of the 7up thing is simply to get people to keep drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The flat 7up is used to stop getting dehydrated when ill - vomiting and the stuff pouring out the other end can get kids dehydrated really quickly.
    7up is used as it has citrus which can aid electrolyte absorption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

We always heated the 7up in the microwave and drank it out of the glass mugs usually used for hot chocolate or Irish coffees. Honestly don't know why, it was just what we were always given when we were sick as kids. Everyone said it was good for you when you were sick, it's probably some sort of placebo effect :P

My auntie brought me a bottle of Lucozade when I had chickenpox and claimed that Lucozade was proven to work on chickenpox (no idea what that was about :confused:!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Started this exact thread over 3 years ago :cool:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56391851

7up cures all ails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

They should make it prescription only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I'm after drinking about a litre of the stuff today to nurse my sick belly, never knew the explanation behind it just did it because Mammy said so haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Started this exact thread over 3 years ago :cool:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56391851

7up cures all ails.

Cool story bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Shenshen wrote: »
    Only ever heard about that in Ireland, tbh.
    When I was sick as a kid, my granddad would give me warm, flat Coca Cola. The idea was that whatever it was you ate that is upsetting your stomache, the coke will help to digest faster.
    Had to be warm and flat, though, because cold and fizzy drinks are bad for your tummy, according to granddad.

Afaik in Cokes early days it was sold as a digestive aid, seeing as it was made from herbs and stuff like that. Your grandad probably still had that image of it? Still, the caffeine and sugar would have given you energy which is what a sick person needs.

I went to the chemist for my gf when she was sick and he had these sachets of powdered flavoured drinks that he said would help. Apperently they just did the same thing as 7up as they replaced electrolytes lost from throwing up etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

In our house we used to get cold flat 7-up with an upset tummy, and heated red or white preferably red lemonade for colds and flu's. Did ye all boil yere 7-up? So long as it was flat for an upset tummy that's all that's needed is what we were told, it didn't need to be hot.

Does anyone remember Goody?! Yeeeeeuuuucccchhhhh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Not familiar with the 7 up thing, lucozade is what I would drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Flat 7up was my mums remedy when we were sick - did seem to work but as a lot of people said already, it all about getting fluid and sugar into the system.

But for a cold or flu, warm red lemonade with a spoon of honey. Tasted way too sweet but it worked. Sweated buckets in bed after, but the cold would clear up.......aren't mammys geniuses :D

When I was a kid, Letterkenny hospital wouldn't allow Lucozade to be given to the patients.......or maybe that was only in the paediatric ward - and I really loved Lucozade too :( For a hangover, it's still the only remedy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

Don't question the power and knowledge of the Irish mammy!
    If you were told to drink 7up when you were sick as a kid... you damn well drank 7up when you were sick as a kid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Afaik in Cokes early days it was sold as a digestive aid, seeing as it was made from herbs and stuff like that. Your grandad probably still had that image of it? Still, the caffeine and sugar would have given you energy which is what a sick person needs.

I went to the chemist for my gf when she was sick and he had these sachets of powdered flavoured drinks that he said would help. Apperently they just did the same thing as 7up as they replaced electrolytes lost from throwing up etc.

To be honest, it's more likely he remembered a chemistry experiment most schools in Germany would do : You place a bit of meat into a petri dish with coke, and it will disolve overnight.
    So my granddad figured if it can disolve things this easily, must be good for getting rid of anything bad you may have eaten ;)

Shenshen wrote: »
    To be honest, it's more likely he remembered a chemistry experiment most schools in Germany would do : You place a bit of meat into a petri dish with coke, and it will disolve overnight.
    So my granddad figured if it can disolve things this easily, must be good for getting rid of anything bad you may have eaten ;)

Think if you put a piece of meat into orange juice it'll disolve too....same with rusty bolts etc. Snopes have a lot of stuff on Coke. But think in the end the medicinal benefits are due to the sugar and caffeine in the coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

7Up is magic, but useless on its own. It must be mixed carefully with exactly the right amount of green grapes from a brown paper bag

Anyone who survives hospital does so because of 'Up n grapes. The doctors are trying to kill you.

D1stant wrote: »
    7Up is magic, but useless on its own. It must be mixed carefully with exactly the right amount of green grapes from a brown paper bag

Anyone who survives hospital does so because of 'Up n grapes. The doctors are trying to kill you.

Damn right! Who gets well with people sticking bits of metal into your body and forcing you to eat horrible food :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Rasheed wrote: »
    Dioralyte is rotten surely.

When i was sick as a child, i'd be given dioralyte, and couldn't get enough of it, i'd get up in the middle of the night, and start drinking it out of the fridge

Advertisement