Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people clap?

• 17-06-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

...well I know its a sign of appreciation.

But, do you ever think about why exactly do we slap two parts of our body together to make a noise? Why is that a sign of appreciation? Who was the first person to propose we do that when we like something?

(grabs coat, goes to pub)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

People are actually giving themselves a high-five

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If it's good enough for the seals it's good enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i learned from the fresh prince that if you need to clap with one hand, just slap the back of your neck. it's handy if you have a pint in your other hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

kfallon wrote: »

No I posted it there by accident yesterday! I thought I was here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

These things always bug me too.
    It's really stupid to me.
    I mean I know there has to be some universal way of showing appreciation or whatever it is you want to express at the time, but it just seems very sheeple like or something.
    The same as putting your hands up at a concert and things like that.
    Or when I was younger and went to mass, I used to find it funny that everyone would stand, kneel, sit etc... at the same times, just because 'that's what you do'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

so what do you propose then ? scream,shout after someone plays a piano :confused: thumbs up or light a lighter :D
    BTW i always clap when plane lands,its appreciation that pilots got you safely to the spot,and i do believe when they hear that they do feel good about the,mselves at the same time ;),also its same like some people say thanks to the bus driver when they arrive at the destination,So clapping is like a group saying thanks to the person/s for something they we done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

There are only so many options to show appreciation. We can clap, hit hands on table, shout, get our tits out, gnash our teeth, throw our hats in the air if we had a hat, jump up and down like lunatics, and so on.

I am happy with the preferred solution.

scamalert wrote: »
    so what do you propose then ? scream,shout after someone plays a piano :confused: thumbs up or light a lighter :D
    BTW i always clap when plane lands,its appreciation that pilots got you safely to the spot,and i do believe when they hear that they do feel good about the,mselves at the same time ;),also dont start comparing why i dont clap when a bus driver gets me to the bus stop :D

haha, do you clap yourself when you drive yourself home? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

BTW i always clap when plane lands,its appreciation that pilots got you safely to the spot,and i do believe when they hear that they do feel good about the,mselves at the same time

You realize they probably can't hear you behind their bolted metal door and their headsets? :)

• Advertisement

There are only so many options to show appreciation. We can clap, hit hands on table, shout, get our tits out, gnash our teeth, throw our hats in the air if we had a hat, jump up and down like lunatics, and so on.

I am happy with the preferred solution.

I'm not suggesting we don't do it. Its more how did it come to be. When you think of what we are actually doing, it is quite odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Well it wouldn't be very productive if we ran head-first into a wall whenever something impressed us now, would it OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

leggo wrote: »
    Well it wouldn't be very productive if we ran head-first into a wall whenever something impressed us now, would it OP?

Yes if the wall-butters are Westshyte / Justin Bebo fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't mind people clapping to music, as long as they clap on the 3, not on the 1, in a 4/4 song. It's 1 2 3 4 , 1 2 3 4 ... :cool: If that's too complicated, just listen for the snare drum - that's where you clap, people.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I think they clap to avoid getting the clap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Depending on the tempo, it means approval (high) / disapproval (low). Mainly started as audience feedback in theatre I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭Archeron

If its a deaf person on stage, you hold your hands up in the air and do fast jazz hands so they can see your appreciation.
    Thank you QI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Disapproval is slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

*slow hand clap*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I facking hate people who clap when a plane lands. You're congratulating the person whose job it is to do his job. S/He gets paid a crazy amount of money to get you there safely. I'd clap if we were in an emergency and he saved us from imminent death, but other than that.

• Advertisement

I facking hate people who clap when a plane lands. You're congratulating the person whose job it is to do his job. S/He gets paid a crazy amount of money to get you there safely. I'd clap if we were in an emergency and he saved us from imminent death, but other than that.

Yeah, I get you. To balance it out, I also clap whenever a bus or train driver reaches their destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

for the handicapped?

for the handiclapped?

fyp,

Anyway, it's to scare away the flies, or at least create a hostile environment for them! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah, I get you. To balance it out, I also clap whenever a bus or train driver reaches their destination.

You must have very raw palms, and the clapping can't help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I just click my fingers repeatedly when I appreciate something while saying this mellow is jive man...

http://www.superhooper.org/images/normal_snapping_fingers.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

py2006 wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting we don't do it. Its more how did it come to be. When you think of what we are actually doing, it is quite odd.

I don't know how it came to be, and I appreciate that it's what people do at the end of a show or play and why they do, but I can never bring myself to do it. Just feels so peculiar and wrong, for me. I look at the audience when they're clapping and it always strikes me as a really odd thing we (well, not me 'cause I can't) do. I have tried, but the strangeness of it makes me have to stop.

You must have very raw palms, and the clapping can't help...

You wouldn't believe it man. I have to masturbate with a surgical glove.

If I wrote a jaunty guitar piece called "Clap", but the singer introduced it as "The Clap", I'd be a bit hacked off. I'd be doubly hacked off if the live recording was included on the album as "The Clap", but Steve Howe didn't mind, and the name has stuck:

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They clap because they be happy, doh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

It must be a natural reflex or instinct.

Babies clap hands when they are happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

BTW i always clap when plane lands.

There is a special kind of place for people like you :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

bnt wrote: »
    I don't mind people clapping to music, as long as they clap on the 3, not on the 1, in a 4/4 song. It's 1 2 3 4 , 1 2 3 4 ... :cool: If that's too complicated, just listen for the snare drum - that's where you clap, people.

To be pedantic, you clap on the 1,2,3,4, not on the three in a 4/4 signature. :P

Clapping when a plane lands:confused: The pilot is just doing his f**king job. I'd think my boss was a simple creature if he clapped when I finished a project.

Heres what wiki-wiki-wikipedia have to say about it:
    The ancient Romans had a set ritual of applause for public performances, expressing degrees of approval: snapping the finger and thumb, clapping with the flat or hollow palm, waving the flap of the toga, for which the emperor Aurelian substituted handkerchiefs (orarium) that he had distributed to the Roman people.[1] In Roman theatre, at the close of the play, the chief actor called out "Valete et plaudite!", and the audience, guided by an unofficial choregus, chanted their applause antiphonally. This was often organized and paid for.[2]
    Similarly, a claque (French for "clapping") was an organized body of professional applauders in French theatres and opera houses who were paid by the performer(s) to create the illusion of an increased level of approval by the audience.
    In Christianity, customs of the theatre were adopted by the churches. Eusebius [3] says that Paul of Samosata encouraged the congregation to applaud his preaching by waving linen cloths (οθοναις), and in the 4th and 5th centuries applause of the rhetoric of popular preachers had become an established custom. Applause in church eventually fell out of fashion, however, and partly by the influence of the quasi-religious atmosphere of the performances of Richard Wagner's operas at the Bayreuth Festspielhaus, the reverential spirit that inspired this soon extended back to the theatre and the concert hall.

Krispie wrote: »
    To be pedantic, you clap on the 1,2,3,4, not on the three in a 4/4 signature. :P
    OK - I must have been thinking of 4/4 half time. I don't mind, as long as all people cease and desist from clapping on the 1. :cool:

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

py2006 wrote: »
    ...well I know its a sign of appreciation.

But, do you ever think about why exactly do we slap two parts of our body together to make a noise? Why is that a sign of appreciation? Who was the first person to propose we do that when we like something?

(grabs coat, goes to pub)

How come humans are the only species that kiss?

• Advertisement

How come humans are the only species that kiss?

ewww kissing is icky!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

These things always bug me too.
    It's really stupid to me.
    I mean I know there has to be some universal way of showing appreciation or whatever it is you want to express at the time, but it just seems very sheeple like or something.
    The same as putting your hands up at a concert and things like that.
    Or when I was younger and went to mass, I used to find it funny that everyone would stand, kneel, sit etc... at the same times, just because 'that's what you do'!

Lord save us from the '2 kool for skool' kids that stand at the back of a concert nodding to each other as an expression of their appreciation for each others impeccable taste and then, when the crowd goes wild for some big anthemic number, wonder off the bar to discuss how much better the band's earlier albums were before they became so 'sell out popular'.

Go on, get in there into the mosh pit, throw you hands in the air with extatic abandon, clap your appreciation till your hands are stinging and live a little for God's sake....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I'll applaud a pilot that got us there ahead of schedule. But not just for doing their job. A lot of jobs are thankless so why should certain groups only get applause?

How do ye feel about applauding after a film ends in the cinema?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I'll applaud a pilot that got us there ahead of schedule. But not just for doing their job. A lot of jobs are thankless so why should certain groups only get applause?

How do ye feel about applauding after a film ends in the cinema?

You do know most fly times are over-estimated so they look good. The pilot didn't get you there faster.
    Its just stupid to clap at the end of a film. Its not like their going to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Lol, clapping when the plane lands, I've only seen the Irish do this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement