Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We Need To Stop Supporting England At Football

• 17-06-2012 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

I'm curious about this, I've seen a lot well wishing with regards to English football on this site, a lot of people cheering them, and to be honest its becoming quite nauseating. I've been reading quite a few anti-Irish comments from various UK boards mainly from people criticising their stations for at times supporting Ireland (which is understandable since we are a foreign country) but a lot British people seem to be getting peed off with it and some anti irish views are beginning to be spouted off.

I don't think most English people are supporting Ireland, so I would find it a bit odd if a lot Irish people are all of a sudden supporting England to cover up their own insecurities to avoid looking typically "anti-English".

England and Wales seem to ok with it, but I have seen loads of anti-Irishness from plenty of Scottish posters, which is a bit disappointing. But lets be clear I've always believed Scotlands the most anti-Irish nation in the world at times and has a chip on its shoulder about us. When you've got Neil Lennon considering to move to England to avoid sectarian abuse you know you've got problems. Also Scotland two most supported teams after Celtic are Hearts and Rangers which says a lot about the country. Plus I get a lot of people asking about "Ulster" an awful lot which I'm a bit suspecious about. Its a unionist country and I respect that, but in reality a lot of them don't like our politics.

But like I say I think we need to stop supporting England unless you have a link there. I know its all well meaning etc but a lot English people (particularly Scottish people) still don't like us and I feel a bit uncomfortable with a lot of Irish people all of sudden getting too close to England when a lot of them are still holding these views.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I can this ending well...!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Anti Irish comments? Never! It's not as if some of their fans were singing pro IRA songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Most football fans are not xenophobic, ignorant scum.

But most xenophobic, ignorant scum are football fans.

And there's literally millions of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

DB10 wrote: »
    I can see this ending well...!

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Cybercubed wrote: »
    I'm curious about this, I've seen a lot well wishing with regards to English football on this site, a lot of people cheering them, and to be honest its becoming quite nauseating. I've been reading quite a few anti-Irish comments from various UK boards mainly from people criticising their stations for at times supporting Ireland (which is understandable since we are a foreign country) but a lot British people seem to be getting peed off with it and some anti irish views are beginning to be spouted off.

I don't think most English people are supporting Ireland, so I would find it a bit odd if a lot Irish people are all of a sudden supporting England to cover up their own insecurities to avoid looking typically "anti-English".

England and Wales seem to ok with it, but I have seen loads of anti-Irishness from plenty of Scottish posters, which is a bit disappointing. But lets be clear I've always believed Scotlands the most anti-Irish nation in the world at times and has a chip on its shoulder about us. When you've got Neil Lennon considering to move to England to avoid sectarian abuse you know you've got problems. Also Scotland two most supported teams after Celtic are Hearts and Rangers which says a lot about the country. Plus I get a lot of people asking about "Ulster" an awful lot which I'm a bit suspecious about. Its a unionist country and I respect that, but in reality a lot of them don't like our politics.

But like I say I think we need to stop supporting England unless you have a link there. I know its all well meaning etc but a lot English people (particularly Scottish people) still don't like us and I feel a bit uncomfortable with a lot of Irish people all of sudden getting too close to England when a lot of them are still holding these views.

Scotland is an odd little country. It is anti-English and anti-Irish. In general English people do support Ireland but the few that don't, the equivalent of you, get angry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

what's the question again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,280 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Most football fans are not xenophobic, ignorant scum.

But most xenophobic, ignorant scum are football fans.

And there's literally millions of them.

You beat me too it haha.

OP I assume you are reading these comments on some soccer forums? It would seem that a lot (NOT ALL) of soccer fans from the UK are uneducated thugs. And just because they supposedly don't support us doesn't mean we shouldn't support them now that our team are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

getzls wrote: »
    Anti Irish comments? Never! It's not as if some of their fans were singing pro IRA songs.

None of the Irish songs were pro IRA. Fields of Athenry is a song about the famine, if that is what is confusing to some knuckle draggers. I preferred when we sang Molly Malone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I thought it was the other way around they support us and we don't support them.

Other than that op it's a good topic worthy of discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Feck, i am all out of pop corn...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

dafuq did i just read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

M cebee wrote: »
    what's the question again?

Daddy or chips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I know its all well meaning etc but a lot English people (particularly Scottish people) still don't like us...

Lol, you do know that Scotland and England are different countries, don't you? Just a bit concerned in amongst the crass generalisations and ignorance you might have missed that point.

You do also realise that most Scots aren't anti-irish - and have no interest in sectarianism...any more than irish people all support the IRA and keep pet leprechauns...

Good grief...the amount of rubbish I hear spouted about Scotland from people who have never been there. I live here - you want to hear some of the ridiculous notions and comments I've heard - or the way Ireland is judged for it's school system or corrupt politicians...but I don't hold all Irish people responsible. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Oh dear!!
    Maybe the Soccer forum may accommodate such tat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement