Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What exactly am I doing wrong in setting up a Minecraft server?

• 17-06-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Help me out here, please.
    309775bdba5c1b30ab55c6511c6b4920.png

I have the actual server setup, as in the world and the properties and all that.
    The only way I can connect is if I type "localhost" instead of the IP.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Try changing the server IP address to whatever the local IP is instead of the external one. Should be something like 192.168.1.XX Check under your network adapter's settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maxamog

df1cbda19806c6d6e8534e7be022cdc9.png

Done that, still can't connect to the server. here's the config, just in case I've made a mistake here too.

1410cf014f875e89acc2646b752d0dba.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Nope 192.168.1.254 will be the default gateway, not the IP of the server. Assuming you are hosting it on a windows machine, what you want is highlighted here:

j3Xeo.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

There appears to be a space between the . and the 1
    254 is the gateway

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

what those guys said, google: How to setup a static ip on my local machine. then enter the static ip(192.168.1.69 for example) into the server ip address form, also might want to remove your external ip as the dmz (default server)
    The only way I can connect is if I type "localhost" instead of the IP.

this is the only way you can connect when you are on the local network, you wont be able to type in your external ip address (86.42.161.222) as your computer will just be making a request to your computer, only people outside your network (friends in other houses) will be using your external ip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 lulztrooper

Don't host it from home. There are a number of reasons.
    1) Takes way too much bandwidth
    b) Lags more
    4) You have to leave your computer on 24/7
    Yeah. I was thinking that too when I had a home-hosted server.

Advertisement