Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would Roy Keane be a good Ireland manager

• 17-06-2012 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

He has been very vocal on the Irish team.

Just watching him now on UTV. He is an obvious winner but I'm 50/50 weather he'd be good for Ireland if he hypothetically managed us. I do think he would bleed a lot of youngsters though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No. For many reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No, I wouldn't say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Short answer, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

No.

He has done nothing to suggest he will ever be a good manager. A good manager unites a team, Keane divides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Giving his managerial record, and history of walking out on jobs, definitely no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I doubt he'd work for John Delaney, so the question is senseless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

it could be argue that he would be Clough-esque in his manner with the media and dealing with players but the short answer is NO , after his achievements with Ipswich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

He would never be the Ireland manager if the likes of John Delaney are in charge of the FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I could see him walking out because the horse the FAI provided wasn't high enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Keane has done okay at club level overall relatively speaking. When Trapp goes there is going to be a huge step down when it comes to the credentials and talent of managers realistically available.

Barring unlikely superior candidates becoming available I'd be happy for him to get a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Still, it would be fun to see the Manager demanding that the crowd stop singing when we are losing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Yeah I'm kinda of agreeing with everybody but I have this side of me saying he would bring strong mentality to the squad.

I don't think the friendly games against Norway on a Tuesday at the Lansdowne Road would be so friendly in his eyes and he would ensure everyone ensures it would be like a cup final

I think he would be either an great success or a train wreck. I could not see any middle where he is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I think he would be, yes. I'd like to see him in charge but i won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd boycott the team if it ever happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Id be happy with a return for Brian Kerr.I think he was shafted big time.I think Traps days have reached their end though.

His team selection for Italy is the last straw IMO.Same Ol,Same Ol.Things will never change fast enough with him.

It will be interesting if Italy beat us by 3 or 4 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Given a big job and top players who are also winners i could see him do very well, Spurs job maybe,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Id be happy with a return for Brian Kerr.
    Cool, but...
    I think he was shafted big time.
    ...so does he.

What makes you think he'd go back to work for the clowns who treated him so badly first time round?

Id be happy with a return for Brian Kerr.I think he was shafted big time.I think Traps days have reached their end though.

His team selection for Italy is the last straw IMO.Same Ol,Same Ol.Things will never change fast enough with him.

It will be interesting if Italy beat us by 3 or 4 again.

I honestly thought Kerr got shafted big time as well. The FAI treated him like garbage. He makes fun of it today which shows the merit of the man

CSF wrote: »
    I'd boycott the team if it ever happened.

Really? I don't rate him as a manager but it could be worse.

What did you do when they appointed Stan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Get David O Leary and I'll be happy .

• Advertisement

Anybody welcome back Mick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Keane has done okay at club level overall relatively speaking. When Trapp goes there is going to be a huge step down when it comes to the credentials and talent of managers realistically available.

Barring unlikely superior candidates becoming available I'd be happy for him to get a shot.

Shur Jack Charlton and Mick McCarthy have better records with Ireland than Trap.

Look back at Traps record managing Italy.Awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Anybody welcome back Mick?

I would.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Brian Kerr was undermined by the FAI, why I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think he would probably be a good appointment for Ireland, be very happy to give him a shot, his style thus far has achieved results in the short term but not the long term generally, it reminds me of an impact type manager, who with short periods of time to work with players will have an impact but the style is not the best for day to day management. He needs to work on that side of his development as a manager.

Have thought about this for a while actually, but there is no way this would happen as long as Delaney is in charge, wouldnt work for Delaney myself so cant say I would blame him, and it goes without saying that Keane would not be high on Delaneys list of targets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Red Alert wrote: »
    Brian Kerr was undermined by the FAI, why I don't know.

The FAI are a shower of idiots?

Also on thinking. The next Irish manager( I don't think Trap will be for the next campaign) will need to have a long term plan for the following reasons:

1. I can't see Ireland qualifying for Brazil. Euro 2016 is more my opinion
    2. The team needs to be totally revamped. It's time to build the next Irish team

With that in mind I think these are big reasons why Keane would not be a good choice.

The next Irish manager is going to need time that's for sure. If they finished 3rd in the qualifying group for 2014 with a new set of players then I think that is a good foundation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I wouldnt even let Roy Keane put out the training cones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Keane would do well with Ireland I think. He'd not be afraid to pick form players over reputation players and would do well at motivating them given the short amount of time an international manager has with players before each match.

An international manager doesn't need to be a tactical genius. All he has to do is select the appropriate players and get the most out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lumbo wrote: »
    Really? I don't rate him as a manager but it could be worse.

What did you do when they appointed Stan?
    Nothing, I would never boycott a team because of someone's limitations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Also I don't know why people are thinking trap won't be here for the next two years. He won't go and the FAI can't afford to pay him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I would love to get McCarthy back...

I reckon he'd bring some of the younger players through, but I still think Trap is the man to lead us for the World Cup. I think sacking him now would be a knee jerk reaction because he managed to overachieve to get us to Poland\Ukraine in the first place...

Also I don't know why people are thinking trap won't be here for the next two years. He won't go and the FAI can't afford to pay him off.

What is his salary by the way? Also how much has Ireland made from Euro 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Trap's best managing days are long gone. Dont know why people are hanging off all the things he's won. He's won 2 trophies in 15 years, and only 1 in a half decent league (Portugal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Keane would be a backwards step I think. We could definitely attract a better manager than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

I would say no. He was a truly world class player in his playing days. Sadly his managerial career has been less then stellar to put it mildly. If we were looking for an Irish manager my pick would be Martin O'Neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I think Keane would actually be a worse manager than Trap. At least Trap recognises the limitations of the Irish players and tried to come up with a solution (even if imho I think it's prob not the best one). Can't see Keane accepting these realities when it came to player quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I don't believe the FAI have a say anyway. If Denis O'Brien was Trap gone, he'll be gone. I'd have Mick back in a flash

I can't help but think, Didi Hamann knows something and Trap WILL be gone

eire4 wrote: »
    I would say no. He was a truly world class player in his playing days. Sadly his managerial career has been less then stellar to put it mildly. If we were looking for an Irish manager my pick would be Martin O'Neill.

Helix to thread.

My pick would be David O'Leary. I don't know why he never picked up another decent job after Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

No way, he destroyed the confidence of the ipswich players by screaming at them how **** they where. Our lads are bad enough without being told that at half time. If he was half as good a manager as he thinks he is he'd be at a top prem club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

If he wasn't such a petulant little baby, maybe.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

eire4 wrote: »

I'd agree with that, Roy Keane still has much to prove if he is going to be a success as a manager. No sign of that helix character and all that crowd of the weirdo anti MON brigade that you see on these threads yet?
    O'Neill would be an inspirational choice as manager of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

As interesting as it would be to see him in charge I dont know if I could keep a level head listening to his rants and arguments among people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

I always felt that Chris Hughton would be next Ireland manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'd agree with that, Roy Keane still has much to prove if he is going to be a success as a manager. No sign of that helix character and all that crowd of the weirdo anti MON brigade that you see on these threads yet?
    O'Neill would be an inspirational choice as manager of Ireland.

Wow. A weirdo because we don't cream ourselves over MON? If you think Trapattoni's subs were bad wait till O'Neill may take over. Saying that, wouldn't be a bad choice, but hardly 'inspirational' at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Corholio wrote: »
    Wow. A weirdo because we don't cream ourselves over MON? If you think Trapattoni's subs were bad wait till O'Neill may take over. Saying that, wouldn't be a bad choice, but hardly 'inspirational' at all.

No-one said you have to "cream" yourself over him. You think he wouldn't be a bad choice, well I'd agree and go a bit further by saying I think he'd be a very good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think most people, even Helix, would probably think MON would be a good choice for Ireland manager. However put in charge of a club with talented players, high ambitions and give him a money to spend then it would be a bad idea. However Ireland has none of those so MON would do what he does best, motivate average players to play above themselves in a negative and unattractive system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No, and the same goes for feckin O'Leary and O'Neill.

Do not want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

MON is very suited to international football but probably wont take an international job until he's lost his edge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement