Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would Roy Keane be a good Ireland manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

No way should Roy Keane be considered for the Ireland job, he has proved himself to be extremely unreliable as far as his country is concerned. He also is a woeful manager severely lacking in people skills.

I would love to see Mick McCarthy back for Ireland. Unfortunately I don't believe Trap will go himself and the gimps in the FAI have shot themselves in both feet by renewing the managers contract before the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Dempsey wrote: »
    MON is very suited to international football but probably wont take an international job until he's lost his edge.

Agree, we should hound him in another 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

MON is very suited to international football but probably wont take an international job until he's lost his edge.

Not having a go but where is the evidence for that statement? I'm not saying it's wrong but there is nothing to suggest he'd work well. Am I right in saying that he is not a hands on coach but rather a manager? I believe that is so.

My two cents. Gary Neville. I'm serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Not having a go but where is the evidence for that statement? I'm not saying it's wrong but there is nothing to suggest he'd work well. Am I right in saying that he is not a hands on coach but rather a manager? I believe that is so.

My two cents. Gary Neville. I'm serious.

His main attributes, for me, are playing to the strengths of the players he's got and motivating players. They are crucial qualities in international football i think. I know he leaves training sessions to the coaches but is that really going to a problem in an international setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

His main attributes, for me, are playing to the strengths of the players he's got and motivating players. They are crucial qualities in international football i think. I know he leaves training sessions to the coaches but is that really going to a problem in an international setup?

I don't know for certain but I would have thought that international coaches would want to be more hands on than at club level. You have a lot of time at club to work out the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

1. Give him the job.
    2. Watch him fail.
    3. His "rent a gob" work from then on - null and void.

I don't know for certain but I would have thought that international coaches would want to be more hands on than at club level. You have a lot of time at club to work out the issues.

Maybe if he was to manage the likes of the Dutch squad i suppose. I dont think his style would be a problem for most international setups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Keane, just no.

McCarthy no as well, his time has passed and tactically he could never take us forward.

Kerr I wouldn't dismiss completely, but think there are better options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

No, great facilities though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I think Keane would actually be a worse manager than Trap. At least Trap recognises the limitations of the Irish players and tried to come up with a solution (even if imho I think it's prob not the best one). Can't see Keane accepting these realities when it came to player quality.

Yes, he really got lucky with the world class players languishing at the bottom of the Championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Absolutely not.
    One thing managers have to have are man management skills, of which keane has none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Just to clarify, since entering the management game has has Keane actually every made any soundings about being interested in becoming Ireland manager one day? I couldn't see him wanting it even if he was offered, not least while any of the FAI from his playing days are still around anyway.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Absolutely not.
    One thing managers have to have are man management skills, of which keane has none.

Again, if his man management was so poor he would simply not have been able to get Sunderland to the Premier League from the position he took over in.

Argument null and void.

He is learning his trade as a manager, he has had some success and some failure, he is imo a slightly above average manager going by the English league standard. Nothing more, nothing less right now.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Just to clarify, since entering the management game has has Keane actually every made any soundings about being interested in becoming Ireland manager one day? I couldn't see him wanting it even if he was offered, not least while any of the FAI from his playing days are still around anyway.

He did say it was something that would interest him, there is far too much in the way of it happening in the foreseeable future imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Not that you'll believe me but I heard from a good reliable source before christmas that they wanted Keane mainly because he'd get the crowds in to fill the stadium..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

bullvine wrote: »
    Not that you'll believe me but I heard from a good reliable source before christmas that they wanted Keane mainly because he'd get the crowds in to fill the stadium..
    You're right, we won't believe you.

bullvine wrote: »

He would certainly generate interest alright, whether you love him or hate him, you would have plenty of people wanting him to succeed and just as many if not more eagerly watching with anticipation for if and when he fails.

Im sure it would make sense to the FAI from a financial sense in fact. Still dont see it as a realistic one just yet though.

kryogen wrote: »
    Again, if his man management was so poor he would simply not have been able to get Sunderland to the Premier League from the position he took over in.

Argument null and void.

He is learning his trade as a manager, he has had some success and some failure, he is imo a slightly above average manager going by the English league standard. Nothing more, nothing less right now.

Hard to do that when you are writing for the Sun and spoofing on ITV

Hard to do that when you are writing for the Sun and spoofing on ITV

Does everybody think they are now on Rte? Spoofing becoming the new feckin buzz word.

I'm sure you can work out that while they are "in between" jobs managers quite often do analysis and write for newspapers, surely this isn't the first time you have come across this?

Even employed managers do tv and papers!

Is Roberto Martinez finding it hard to learn his trade while he sits in a studio with Roy Keane on ITV?

Boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Surely the FAI can do better now with 2m a year for a part time job with the option for working at home... Benitez would be perfect.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Surely the FAI can do better now with 2m a year for a part time job with the option for working at home... Benitez would be perfect.

Dunno will they be able to afford that when Trap goes though will they?

Denis O Brien/Desmond, cant remember which, is paying half his wages isnt he? If he decides he isnt going to do that anymore then thats the end of that!

One of the rags today said we could get Del Bosque for cheaper :)

Does everybody think they are now on Rte? Spoofing becoming the new feckin buzz word.

I'm sure you can work out that while they are "in between" jobs managers quite often do analysis and write for newspapers, surely this isn't the first time you have come across this?

Even employed managers do tv and papers!

Is Roberto Martinez finding it hard to learn his trade while he sits in a studio with Roy Keane on ITV?

Boring.

So explain how he's learning his trade when he's not managing anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    He has been very vocal on the Irish team.

Just watching him now on UTV. He is an obvious winner but I'm 50/50 weather he'd be good for Ireland if he hypothetically managed us. I do think he would bleed a lot of youngsters though.

Ah, here. I'm not his biggest fan but saying he's some sort of kid-loving vampire is taking it a bit far.

(And, no, in answer to your question)

So explain how he's learning his trade when he's not managing anyone

Oh, I see, your problem was with the semantics of it?

Ok, he is a young manager and still has much to learn, is nowhere near the finished article yet.

That better?

Oh, I see, your problem was with the semantics of it?

Ok, he is a young manager and still has much to learn, is nowhere near the finished article yet.

That better?

Again I'll say its hard to learn how to become a better manager when you are writing for the Sun and spoofing on ITV. He'll earn more money from shadowing Eamon Dunphy than he will from managing football clubs.

Again I'll say its hard to learn how to become a better manager when you are writing for the Sun and spoofing on ITV. He'll earn more money from shadowing Eamon Dunphy than he will from managing football clubs.

I have already re phrased it to spell out exactly what I meant for you. So I have no real need to clarify further surely?

There are simple answers to your question though that I am sure you must be aware of anyway.

Again you say spoofing, what has he said that is incorrect on ITV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

JJJJNR wrote: »

Cant see it ever

But I be happy to see him get job.

Cant see it ever

But I be happy to see him get job.

Nothing to draw Benitez to it though is there? Nothing that I can think of anyway! Nothing to draw any high class manager really unfortunately.

Though the crop of players coming through do have talent and maybe a good manager would relish the opportunity to bring them on at International level? Can't see that person being anything but Irish however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

No.

The next Ireland manager should be either Hughton or Brian McDermott.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    No.

The next Ireland manager should be either Hughton or Brian McDermott.

Would either of them want it? In two years maybe, then again, in two years they might not have a good reputation or there may be some other hot property around that we would all like to see in the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nothing to draw Benitez to it though is there? Nothing that I can think of anyway! Nothing to draw any high class manager really unfortunately.

Though the crop of players coming through do have talent and maybe a good manager would relish the opportunity to bring them on at International level? Can't see that person being anything but Irish however.

True.

Cant see us getting big name and like you I think he will be Irish(or played for Ireland)

I have already re phrased it to spell out exactly what I meant for you. So I have no real need to clarify further surely?

There are simple answers to your question though that I am sure you must be aware of anyway.

Again you say spoofing, what has he said that is incorrect on ITV?

I know you have but my point still stands. He's not managing anyone and nobody is knocking down the door to have him. His rants arent going to get him a job, in fact his rants are damaging his reputation in terms of managing professional players.

He is spoofing because he is always angling his comments to draw attention to himself and to get people to talk about him. That will serve him well in the media but it wont have clubs knocking on his door, it wont get respect from professional players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

No.

And the next Ireland Manager should be able to speak english fluently .

Even the English players have now acknowledged this necessity

I know you have but my point still stands. He's not managing anyone and nobody is knocking down the door to have him. His rants arent going to get him a job, in fact his rants are damaging his reputation in terms of managing professional players.

He is spoofing because he is always angling his comments to draw attention to himself and to get people to talk about him. That will serve him well in the media but it wont have clubs knocking on his door, it wont get respect from professional players.

With all due respect, you have no idea what will or will not have clubs knocking on his door or players respecting him.

They are always portrayed as rants alright, yet when Didi/Martinez/Southgate or whoever else answers questions directly asked to them they are simply considered answers. Wonder why?

I don't accept that he is always angling his comments to draw attention to himself either, have you actually watched him on ITV?

His win ratio as a manager is probably better then what a lot would think also, he has a career total so far of 38.67% (This puts him in line with the likes of Rodgers, Coyle, Bruce, Pulis, Moyes, Pardew, Lambert) Sunderland was 42% and Ipswich 34.57%.

Edit: The point of this is to show that although he is not up there with the best yet, he is certainly not a woeful manager, which has been said in this thread.

With all due respect, you have no idea what will or will not have clubs knocking on his door or players respecting him.

They are always portrayed as rants alright, yet when Didi/Martinez/Southgate or whoever else answers questions directly asked to them they are simply considered answers. Wonder why?

I don't accept that he is always angling his comments to draw attention to himself either, have you actually watched him on ITV?

No, I cant predict the future but I've a fair idea how his managerial career will go.

Roy Keane has an axe to grind when it comes to certain topics, you cant say that he doesnt. You cant say the same of Didi Hamman or Martinez.

No, I havent watched ITV during the Euros but I've seen enough of Keane in the media to know his form.

For the record, before you think that Im looking for any opportunity to slate Keane, I'm not. I liked him as a player and defended him staunchly on several occasions over different things but I am losing alot of respect for him, not only over comments made during the euros either.

No, I cant predict the future but I've a fair idea how his managerial career will go.

Roy Keane has an axe to grind when it comes to certain topics, you cant say that he doesnt. You cant say the same of Didi Hamman or Martinez.

No, I havent watched ITV during the Euros but I've seen enough of Keane in the media to know his form.

For the record, before you think that Im looking for any opportunity to slate Keane, I'm not. I liked him as a player and defended him staunchly on several occasions over different things but I am losing alot of respect for him, not only over comments made during the euros either.

Then no offense, but you don't know what you are talking about and your previous comments regarding his rants etc while spoofing on ITV mean absolutely nothing as you haven't even watched it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Rafa Benitez exactly the type of manager we need. Why? Because not only is he a good manager, he is tactically astute and he would revamp our whole football system from the ground up.

The only problem with that is, he is Rafa Benitez. Why on earth would he want the Ireland job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Rafa Benitez exactly the type of manager we need. Why? Because not only is he a good manager, he is tactically astute and he would revamp our whole football system from the ground up.

The only problem with that is, he is Rafa Benitez. Why on earth would he want the Ireland job?
    Its better than the dole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I am not sure if Roy Keane's management style is suited to international management. Only seeing players a few times a year would mean it would be difficult for him to get his point across to the players. I also think that players would not be ecstatic about him being manager, I believe they would not look be looking forward to international duty if they knew they would have to face Keane's wrath. Would take the enjoyment out of international football.

Keane is still in demand as a manager, I know he is one of the contenders for the Birmingham City job. A job he did not even apply for, so it is wrong to say that there is not interest in his management skills.

My choice to replace Trap in 2 years would be Chris Hughton, I am nearly certain he has expressed interest in the job. So when the job becomes available I say he will put himself forward for contention.

Then no offense, but you don't know what you are talking about and your previous comments regarding his rants etc while spoofing on ITV mean absolutely nothing as you haven't even watched it.

I read his comments, you cant write off my opinion because I havent sat down and watched ITV. Have you watched ITV all through the Euros? I doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No.

And the next Ireland Manager should be able to speak english fluently .

Even the English players have now acknowledged this necessity

Wayne is trying his best tbf

I read his comments, you cant write off my opinion because I havent sat down and watched ITV. Have you watched ITV all through the Euros? I doubt it

Yes of course, I can't stand the Rte commentators, I watch it rte when bbc is the alternative, thats about it. I can of course write off your opinion on what has been happening on ITV when you have admitted you haven't watched it therefore have no personal knowledge of it at all!

Ah, the papers.....alright. I think its time to end this back and forth yes? We will just go round in circles most likely, I am hardly going to change my stance and neither are you.

We can both agree that he will not be Ireland manager for the foreseeable future anyway.

/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I think Keane has unfinished business with Ireland i do think he will manage the senior team sometime in the future but not for years yet. I think he will come back to club managment first and the fact his name was mentioned today in relation to the birmingham job means he will be back managing some time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

This is a strange comment. Trapatoni must surely be regarded as a "high class" manager would he not. Also he did get this Irish team qualified for Euro 2012 which was a considerable achievement in itself although I hope he resigns now, because I don't reckon he has anything else to offer Irish soccer. Still if you are trying to say Benitez is in a different bracket to Trap well I think you are wrong there.

I would say Trapatoni is a bigger name in the managerial game than Benitez if anything. We were able to entice Trap because initially we gave him 2 million a year half of it paid by Denis O'Brien.

This is a strange comment. Trapatoni must surely be regarded as a "high class" manager would he not. Also he did get this Irish team qualified for Euro 2012 which was a considerable achievement in itself although I hope he resigns now, because I don't reckon he has anything else to offer Irish soccer. Still if you are trying to say Benitez is in a different bracket to Trap well I think you are wrong there.

I would say Trapatoni is a bigger name in the managerial game than Benitez if anything. We were able to entice Trap because initially we gave him 2 million a year half of it paid by Denis O'Brien.

Trap has not been a high class manager for quite some time, he was very successful over his career alright, but you would hardly have heard his name in the running for top jobs the last few years would you? He was interested because of the money, dont think he was going to get that salary matched anywhere else do you?

Benitez is in a different bracket to Trap because Benitez will have more choices then Trap had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Trap has not been a high class manager for quite some time, he was very successful over his career alright, but you would hardly have heard his name in the running for top jobs the last few years would you? He was interested because of the money, dont think he was going to get that salary matched anywhere else do you?

Benitez is in a different bracket to Trap because Benitez will have more choices then Trap had.

Benitez has been sacked from his last two positions, I'd say his choices are beginning to be less plentiful.

International management is different anyway, it's a part time role that often suits managers at the end of their careers. Benitez might be coming into that bracket shortly come to think of it, but I wouldn't be paying over the odds for Benitez.

Benitez has been sacked from his last two positions, I'd say his choices are beginning to be less plentiful.

International management is different anyway, it's a part time role that often suits managers at the end of their careers. Benitez might be coming into that bracket shortly come to think of it, but I wouldn't be paying over the odds for Benitez.

Ok, now I'm sure your taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Why would he do that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement