Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would Roy Keane be a good Ireland manager

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

kryogen wrote: »
    If you are referring to kiddie fiddling you should have reported it.

Thats not even funny to suggest such a thing happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sergio wrote: »

Thats not even funny to suggest such a thing happened.

I did not suggest anything of the sort my good man/woman.

You said you saw a side of Kerr that most people would not like to see, I am sure most football players can tell you some horror stories of former/current managers behaviour behind closed doors.

To put it bluntly, unless it was something as bad as that, it really doesn't matter! If you had a run in with him and he was rude or whatever what difference does it actually make?

I met Kenny Dalglish before, he was an absolute prick to me if I'm being honest, but it did not mean, back then, he was any less qualified to be a manager.

Fergie doesnt come across as the type of manager to be polite if you cross him does he? Moyes? Wenger? etc etc etc

I did not suggest anything of the sort my good man/woman.

You said you saw a side of Kerr that most people would not like to see, I am sure most football players can tell you some horror stories of former/current managers behaviour behind closed doors.

To put it bluntly, unless it was something as bad as that, it really doesn't matter! If you had a run in with him and he was rude or whatever what difference does it actually make?

I met Kenny Dalglish before, he was an absolute prick to me if I'm being honest, but it did not mean, back then, he was any less qualified to be a manager.

Fergie doesnt come across as the type of manager to be polite if you cross him does he? Moyes? Wenger? etc etc etc

Of course you suggested it you mentioned it lol!!:rolleyes:

The mans an arrogant p*ick of the highest order going back about 12 yrs ago i worked as a barman in a local hotel where kerr was staying with the under 19s team at the time. At about 3am in the morning in the residents bar he threw money at me across the bar for no reason at all because i charged him for a drink!The mans a bloody parasite and if he ever became Ireland manager again id give up going to matches!

The mans an arrogant p*ick of the highest order going back about 12 yrs ago i worked as a barman in a local hotel where kerr was staying with the under 19s team at the time. At about 3am in the morning in the residents bar he threw money at me across the bar for no reason at all because i charged him for a drink!The mans a bloody parasite and if he ever became Ireland manager again id give up going to matches!

So because of a bad experience you had with hmi 12 years ago that was drink related he should never become manager of Ireland again? Oh and that he is a parasite etc, what did you do while he was manager of the Ireland team btw? Did you boycott then?

To discount the theory that arrogance is wrong as a football manager

Clough
    Mourinho
    Ferguson

All pretty successful, arrogance didn't hold them back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Keane would do well with Ireland I think. He'd not be afraid to pick form players over reputation players and would do well at motivating them given the short amount of time an international manager has with players before each match.

An international manager doesn't need to be a tactical genius. All he has to do is select the appropriate players and get the most out of them.

It would be a media circus if Keane was in charge. What has he won as a manager? I seem to remember a few big money buys that never came to anything. The Irish players talent pool isn't that great either and the 2014 World Cup qualification isn't exactly easy with a Germany, Sweden and Austria in the pool.

• Advertisement

He has won the Championship, which believe it or not is a very difficult leage to win. He has also had 2 jobs so not much of a sample size is there, this has all been gone through before. What had Guardiola won when he became Barca manager? What has Tito won?

Poor argument tbf

So because of a bad experience you had with hmi 12 years ago that was drink related he should never become manager of Ireland again? Oh and that he is a parasite etc, what did you do while he was manager of the Ireland team btw? Did you boycott then?

To discount the theory that arrogance is wrong as a football manager

Clough
    Mourinho
    Ferguson

All pretty successful, arrogance didn't hold them back

Big difference between kerr and the managers you mentioned. and you cant even compare them as their success says it all.
    Kerr did well at underage i will give him that but he never got us to a major tournament so we'l say no more!
    I did go to the games when he was last in charge but outside of my personal grudge with him i wouldnt go if he was to become manager again.But we both know thats not going to happen so im waisting my time arguing with you about the man.

Fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Keane would probably walk out on the team if they managed to make it to the last 16 again..

On a serious note though - great footballer, attention seeker.

Did a great job inspiring SAFC back to the Premier League but some of his signings for them were laughable. Of course at Ipswich he only took the job to try prove the hero again, and failed badly.

It's all good and well speaking your mind about Ireland etc., but there's comes a time when you shut it, and unfortunately Keane can't do that.

Regardless of the football Tray plays, his managerial CV makes Keane's look like a part-time Sunday League gaffer.
    The Italian deserves respect - Keane deserves nothing.

Fair enough

Cmon Ireland!!!!;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

At least Roy would call a spade a spade and get rid of the dead rubber and blood in the new guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I reckon he'd do a decent job for a while at least, but I'm not so sure he'd be a success long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

gosplan wrote: »
    In fairness, if Roy didn't make a good Ipswich manager, I can't see him making a good ireland manager.
    Brian Clough pulled up no stones at Leeds and Brighton. Did alright at Derby and Forest though...

Keane is still learning the ways of management. He's young and of course he will make his mistakes. Down the line he could make a very capable manager. He'd be an idiot if he hadn't learnt something from playing for two of the best in Ferguson and Clough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

The manager of our underagers, including a load of 17 year olds, on the lash until 3am during a match training camp?

Only in Ireland :pac:

tbh for those getting misty eyed about his tenure, you seem to have all forgotten he let the lads get pissed up for a karoke session days before the Swiss midweek game. Stern discipline was a bit missing from his squads tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

An obvious candidate for replacing Trap, whenever he goes, is Marco Tardelli. He wants the job - not so sure we'd want him though!

I liked McCarthy as a manager....but I always thing it never works going back. same goes for Kerr.

A lot depends on whether Dennis O'Brien is willing to bankroll the next guy. We'll be left throwing around many of the same names as last time (Brady, Moran etc). And of course a lot depends on who is actually out of a job at the time. I'd like to see Chis Hughton do it if he's available - or Owen Coyle. If Michael O'Neill does a good job up north, who knows - maybe he'd be a contender?

Maybe by then some other players of the past will have emerged as managers.

To the people wanting Keane as manager. What has he done to deserve a shot of it?

He'd never even be considered I'd imagine. Done nothing of note in football management to justify an international post.

Leave him on ITV trying his best to be a controversial figure and leave the real managers to manage teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

rarnes1 wrote: »
    To the people wanting Keane as manager. What has he done to deserve a shot of it?

He'd never even be considered I'd imagine. Done nothing of note in football management to justify an international post.

Leave him on ITV trying his best to be a controversial figure and leave the real managers to manage teams.

Done more than Klinsmann before getting the Germany job, more than Hughes or Speed before they got the Wales job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I doubt Trap will be giving up that easily on the Ireland job he just needs to sit down and analyse the flaws in his system and the team. In my opinion I think he should have more one system in place as his current system has run its course.

Roy Keane is an amazing leader on the field and I don't think he can deliver it in the dressing room with his attitude. Its good to see he expects a lot from his players but I don't think some of the players would be willing to work under him after what he has done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

he wouldn't be a good manager, he would be a qreat manager :rolleyes:

then he might struggle with the quality (or lack off) players at his disposal - this is collectivly possibly the worst group of players we have had in a very long time , given Dunn, Keane, Duff are all in their twilight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

I am not reading any of the previous 171 posts because its blatantly clear that no matter what anyone thinks or says the answer is a resounding NO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

rarnes1 wrote: »

Exactly. If you exclude the fact Keane achieved a not so impossble promotion from a mid level league after only four bad results, thanks to them letting him throw money around, and left the club on the brink of relegation despite all of said money- if we ignore that (if you gave your granny a blank chequebook and surrounded her with people who had opinions on who to sign you would have gotten the same result), he has only ever actually had one management job, Ipswich. And that went to sh1te.

Sure the last time we appointed an inexperienced manager based on their previous service to Ireland it went great :eek: :eek: :eek: Even then it was meant to be a training exercise with Robson in charge, until he became ill and that plan went out the window- imagine offering Roy the job on condition it was more of a public,symbolic on the job training role for the first 4 years, and the real final say on line ups and squad lists actually lay with a silent partnership vote between, I dunno, Giles, Kerr and Brady. Im sure Roy would love that one, the FAI would be hit with some sort of constructive dismissal case the night before the world cup :pac:

Not to mention his attitude to discipline. Imagine a Balotelli type player (in skill as well as propensity for foolishness) suddenly makes his mark for Ireland. One indiscretion and Roy would banish him no matter what his club form was like.

Advertisement