Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with bees nest in compost bin

Options
  • 17-06-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

I'm a newbie to this forum and hope this is the right place to get some advice.

Today I discovered that there appears to be a bees nest in my compost bin at the end of the garden. They're definitely bees and not wasps and I've seen streams of them coming and going through a small gap in the back of the bin. As I was stung badly as a child, I'm reluctant to open the bin and dig down to try and get a better look. :(
    I wouldn't have a problem with it so much but...... I have several cats who seem to think that trying to catch and eat bees is a fun thing to do and I'm terrified of them getting stung and the huge vet bills that would involve.

The compost bin has been there for a few years and is full to the brim now so getting to the nest would involve digging out about 8 to 10 inches depth to get anywhere close to it.

What I would like to know is.....is there any way of removing the nest and/or the bees without killing them or incurring a huge cost having them removed. And if not, how long should I expect them to be there before they move on and I can safely remove the nest.

Any help, advice or information would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

might find help here

http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Hi Mary,

I'm a beekeeper based in Kill, Co. Kildare.

Are you sure they are honey bees and not bumble bees? If they are bumble bees they will not sting you and pose no danger, but please don't remove them as they are quite scarce.

If they are unsure as to whether they are bumble bees or honey bees feel free to get in contact with me and I'll gladly have a look for you!

Advertisement