Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do all estates in Mullingar have this issue?

Options
  • 17-06-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

As the title says, does everyone have issues with early teens throwing eggs/ spuds/whatever at the houses or is it just the Ardleigh area?

I am getting sick of it. Our garden is being used as a bin and the wall as a hang out point.

And it mostly happens in broad daylight! They dont seem to care. Summer is here now and the kids are off school which means boredom for them and terror for us. We cant have anything in our front garden as pots/flowers/stakes get stolen. It's just annoying now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ancientoracle

As far as I can tell, most of them have an issues like this. To be honest, the whole town is a tip, full of people who don't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

Think its just Ardleigh mate, all is well up here in Belvedere Hills. The whole town plagued by egg throwing teens? What a weird thing to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

No problems in either mine or my boyfriends estates, we don't live in or near Ardleigh though.

I definitely wouldn't go around saying that the whole town is full of people who don't give a crap about it though.

Do you know any of the teens or their parents? If you do, have you tried speak to either of them? If not, would you consider it and if you got no satisfaction maybe consider speaking to the police or the community garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I used to have that problem when I lived in Swords. Eggs at the house, sour milk over the car etc. Then one night I caught a couple of lads at it and made them eat the eggs and drink the sour milk. The problem stopped!! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

get a camera mount it on a a window sill facing the little runts,and make sure you keep a diary of events that occur such as egg throwing or other forms of harrassment and abuse,then report your evidence to the gardai..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

get a camera mount it on a a window sill facing the little runts,and make sure you keep a diary of events that occur such as egg throwing or other forms of harrassment and abuse,then report your evidence to the gardai..

....and their parents (if they care!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

nah id contact the gards anyway if you contact the folks theyll just argue with you,no point with runts like these..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

As the title says, does everyone have issues with early teens throwing eggs/ spuds/whatever at the houses or is it just the Ardleigh area?

I am getting sick of it. Our garden is being used as a bin and the wall as a hang out point.

And it mostly happens in broad daylight! They dont seem to care. Summer is here now and the kids are off school which means boredom for them and terror for us. We cant have anything in our front garden as pots/flowers/stakes get stolen. It's just annoying now.

OP it does happen in other estates. It's just the way goes these days, I'm afraid. Your best bet is to contact the Gardai and they'll get the community Gardai to pay a visit to the estate.

Occasionally over the last 4 years someone/somebody has been throwing eggs at the back of my house. It has now stopped and I don't even know why it started. The eggs destroyed windows and the dash on the back of the house.

With regards teenagers hanging around, what I find is if your house is on a corner or near a wall, well then that is a prime spot. I have found, for some reason, a wall to kick a ball against seems to be more attractive than a green area 50 yards behind them. I can't understand that one. For some reason kicking a ball on a street with passing cars, kicking the ball constantly into a neighbour's back garden, landing the ball on a roof/tiles, banging it off a car or house and breaking windows. Try speak to them? Some teenagers these days are not like when I was growing up. I respected people.

Mullingar overall is a nice town with nice people. Unfortunately because the town is so small, everything is condensed. Bad behaviour does exist in housing estates in Mullingar. With the boom a huge number of estates sprung up. If you think there is no bad behaviour in your estate at the moment, there is a good chance that you will get some.

EDIT: OP, I forgot to say, in my situation the teenagers hanging around my house moved on eventually. I'm in a 12 year old newly built estate. The teenagers moved on after 6 (!) years after they finished Leaving Cert.

It's hard to know how to handle them. I found speaking to them logically doesn't work. Sometimes I wanted to storm out and say a few choice words. But then I thought in the future when they are older, a few beers on them and they are walking past my house at 3am in the morning.....

If you can talk to their parents. Failing that the community Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I don't live in ardleigh but one of the other big estates, haven't noticed it here thankfully

Was going to move to ardleigh a few months ago, glad I didn't now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

and the wall as a hang out point.
    I lived in blanchardstown in dublin and we had the same problem.We had a corner house and when we moved in all the local kids/teenagers use to sit and drink on our side wall.

I'm fairly laid back and went out and said i couldnt care less what they do just dont use the garden as a bin and keep it quiet..needless to say it didnt work.

I bought a tub of engine greese in the local motor factors and smeared it along my wall.The little scotes didnt sit there too long after that!!it ruined their addias track suits and it made them look like they had shat themselves :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

play some opera or classical music

they hate that stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

If every time you walk past, you smile at them and be super friendly saying "hi" etc... they should stop it. They only do it to get a reaction and annoy you but if they reckon you are 'ok' then they should move on. Its like pest control ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

The community guards have been asked to be more visable. One of the neighbours reported thefts from the front garden as have I. The same neighbour also called the guards about kids hanging over my side gate recently, the same kids who have been tormenting her regularly. We havent seen anything change.

I dont mind them hanging out as long as they are respectful. One night there was a lot of noise and when i looked out there was a gang sitting on my wall and another gang in my garden smoking. I read into them i must admit. I was so annoyed that they were in my garden. Another day my partner was out doing the grass and a few girls where sitting on the wall and just threw rubbish into the garden infront of her! Unreal!

If they hang out quietly i dont mind, its the damage, theft and noise i cant stand.
    We have also had to contact local pizza takeaways to tell them not to deliver to kids in our garden! Again, I wouldnt mind if they took their rubbish home to their own houses!

Its no use approaching the kids, most have serious attitude problems. One of these days the opportunity might arise for me to follow them home so as i can speak to the parents. I do wonder though if there is any point.

Advertisement