Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this then, wild onion?

Options
  • 17-06-2012 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Wildsomething.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Looks exactly like my spring onions that have gone to seed. (they're there since last year :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

look a bit big for wild onion, possibly domesticated onion cast to one side

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They are lovely! Agreed not wild, just garden onions gone to flower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I came across these over the water from you JG on Inis Mor and wondered what they were. Are they really garden onions?! They were standing about 5 ft tall (or more... though it was last year so my memory could be exaggerating:o) down a little lane alongside a stone wall. Similar setting by the looks of it. I think they look great!

[IMG][/img]0ACFBE6109DA412E85EE09DD5B5D2893-0000331913-0002098074-00500L-40F0CBD57E3F4F34A9E38BEC09642DF0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

This could be "Babingtons leek" , does it have small bulbs within the flower head? Its native to Ireland and Uk according to the interweb. Its more garlicy than leeky in taste, I have it growing in my garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

This could be "Babingtons leek" , does it have small bulbs within the flower head? Its native to Ireland and Uk according to the interweb. Its more garlicy than leeky in taste, I have it growing in my garden.

that looks right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Wow, thanks for link to the site, fantastic. I like the bit "possible relic ancient cultivation". I didnt know leeks and onions were related!

I think you are right too but to be very specific (puts on anorack) two further queries on id the op photo, any ideas?

no sign of purple in the op flowerhead as on wildflower site photos of flowerhead.
    Closed flower heads look smaller in wildflower site photos of complete plant than op photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Fab looking plant. 5 ft tall. Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

That first picture is 100% definitely garlic. Have eactly the same growing in my allotment.

Advertisement