Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new iphone and giving old one to wife, how?

• 17-06-2012 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭

hi,

i am upgrading from a 3gs to a 4s in the next couple of days. and i was just looking to get a bit of advice regarding the process.
    my wife is due an upgrade and is getting me the 4s, she's happy with a nokia e6 i just gave her.
    if i just put my sim in this, is that it? will my itunes/phone software on the pc take the new phone? and what if i want to give the old 3gs to my wife, would/should we set up an itunes account for her? can we change the name on the 3gs to her name etc, if you know what i mean?

also, i have a new ipad coming. do i just connect that to my pc and the itunes software will sync it, or should i go to the icloud? is there a cost for this if i do?

thanks for any advice given,

Ed

PS,

is there any need to add virus software to these? i am just about to renew my mcafee for another year, and i see they have a phone and tablet option also?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

will my old 3gs not open 'my' itunes software the next time i connect it the pc, as it always has?
    and will the new 4s with my sim open itunes with say a prompt about being my new phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

It depends on the carrier.

If your 3GS is on the same carrier as your wife's account, then happy days. Otherwise you'll need to get it unlocked which will likely be free if you have it a reasonable time. The 4S uses a Micro Sim, so the carrier should give you one and port your number to it.

If you use separate iTunes accounts then she'll set up the 3GS with her account and transfer any music and apps she has. If you use the same iTunes account then any apps and music you have will be available for her to use.

Setting up the iPad is simple too, iTunes will offer your apps and music for use on the iPad, if they are compatible. iCloud is Apples internet based backup location. You make the decisions that best suit you in the setup process. You don't have to pay for it, they offer most of it for free, you pay only if you want to use extra storage iTunes match.

You won't be using anti-virus on these devices, don't worry about that. But do take care with your privacy settings. Restrict applications where it is appropriate for example, TomTom requires location services to be enabled for that app, others like games more than likely do not require it.

Enjoy the 4S, but don't let your wife see it! The screen upgrade alone is stunning and will invoke envy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

is your 3gs on 5.0 or later? do you use icloud? have you got icloud backup switched on? if the answers to all those are yes, then when you get your 4s, as part of the activation process you'll be asked if you want to "set up as new iphone" or "restore from icloud backup". choose restore from icloud backup, and it will be like your 3gs has been cloned and put in your 4s.

if the answers to the above questions are no and you dont want to do any of that, plug your 3gs into your pc running itunes and when it appears on the left, right click on it and choose backup. then when you get your 4s and you're at the same activation stage as above, there will be a third option "restore from itunes backup". choose this and you'll be prompted to plug the 4s into itunes. do this and you'll get the same result as above.

once thats done, wipe the 3gs and give it to your wife, she can start from scratch.

thanks 120, silly follow up question coming up!!
    what's the correct way to wipe the 3gs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

settings > general > reset > erase all content and settings*

*really does erase all content and settings.

as i said 120, stupid question coming!!

so, if i want to run all three, the old 3gs, which my wife will take, the new 4s and the ipad from the one account, i can?
    can i then seperate what each one syncs, ie, only my emails and music etc to mine, and my wifes to the 3gs?
    and can the ipad take all the above as we'll both be using it at home only?

Advertisement