Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Styles and Angle aren't good the former is overrated and no better than a lower card jobber in wwe(Bourne) the latter is no more than a poor mans Ryback. While Power Slam have turned into batman villian heavies who have it for Cena for not rating him among the best ever.
    No emoticon availible to put that into context.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Whether one thinks a guy is a good worker us subjective. Telling me someone else's view doesn't really convince me you're right, especially when its the opinion of the annoying goons at Powerslam. Meanwhile one five start bout from meter vs none is hardly compelling stuff. Im sure there are lots of poor guys with one match and lots of great guys with none. Proves nothing. If you're trying to tell me Styles has produced a better body of work across his career then Id have to disagree heartily. If you're not then Im left wondering why you're bringing up silly points about five star matches of ridic small sample size.

All the same, the Observer and Powerslam are well known and quite popular forms of wrestling media and despite what you might think their opinion does carry a bit of weight. Of course everyone can have their own opinion though. I would definitely argue that the body of work that Styles has left surpassed that of Bryan (at this point in time anyway). The man has delivered over and over again for TNA, with a variety of different opponents of differing levels of quality. He is TNA's go-to guy and arguably has been the best wrestler in America since Shawn Michaels stopped working full time.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Styles and Angle aren't good the former is overrated and no better than a lower card jobber in wwe(Bourne) the latter is no more than a poor mans Ryback. While Power Slam have turned into batman villian heavies who have it for Cena for not rating him among the best ever.
    No emoticon availible to put that into context.

When you put it like that all you can really do is laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

It's probably worth reading the thread title again.

It's probably worth reading the thread title again.

Yes unpopular opinions but suggesting that Styles is only as good as Bourne and Kidd while also suggesting that Cena is one of the best workers ever isn't something you can say without having to justify it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Yes unpopular opinions but suggesting that Styles is only as good as Bourne and Kidd while also suggesting that Cena is one of the best workers ever isn't something you can say without having to justify it.

Wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Chyna? I would. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Rjd2 wrote: »

Now or in her time in WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Rjd2 wrote: »

When she debuted: Nope.
    Now: Nope, but more likely.
    Somewhere in the middle: Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Wrestling would be **** without steroids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Judging by this match between himself and The Hurricane on WWE Metal in 2002 I think AJ Styles would mainly wrestle in the cruiserweight division (when they had it) and maybe occasionally go for the US/IC title if he decided to take the contract he was offered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR5tIFlhetw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I missed character gimmicks and gimmicks names....guys in paint called the ultimate warrior or papa shangoo! As opposed to just plain old Derrick bateman! Look at nxt when the accession was going, perfect opportunity if a cool interesting gimmick and it was but a guy called Conor O'Brien was in it. Imagine if legion of doom weren't hawk and animal but terry Oshea and Stephen Donovan or something! Where's the macho man or diesel or undertaker or mankind or the rock etc the closest we have to that now is fandango actually sorry ryback is a bit of a throwback but still I miss the larger then life gimmicks!

airmax87 wrote: »
    Other than the entrance & music, Gangrel wasn't great
    :eek:

WCW towards the end was a better show then what WWE are doing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭mikey13

Ive never liked or appreciated Alberto Del Rio since he debuted in WWE however ive found myself starting to root for him since his face turn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

Owen Hart is overated

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

Damien Sandow, not Ryback, should be the newbie challenging for world titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

After reading the "Non in ring related Divas" thread, I thought I'd say this in here!

I prefer AJ to the older Divas! Quite frankly I think she's perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A lot of people seem to love AJ, but I just don't feel it, she's too young looking and the persona she plays on screen is extremely aggravating to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Damien Sandow, not Ryback, should be the newbie challenging for world titles.

Hardly an unpopular opinion. Sandow is hilarious! (And very good in the ring)

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Hardly an unpopular opinion. Sandow is hilarious! (And very good in the ring)

It's the Ryback bit that might not be popular, I fear. I really can't stand him (as a universe member or legitimately), but he seems to be popular even amongst the iwc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Invasion was a good PPV , and It's my favorite, second to WM X-7 believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

airmax87 wrote: »
    Invasion was a good PPV , and It's my favorite, second to WM X-7 believe it or not.

I think that PPV is recognised as one of the few successes of the angle, some very good matches on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think that holding the Elimination Chamber in February is no good. It takes away from the Rumble having the straps on the line. The Road to Wrestlemania should steam roll straight through from January to April. I liked when they held it at Survivior Series though, kinda goes with a theme there.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I think that holding the Elimination Chamber in February is no good. It takes away from the Rumble having the straps on the line. The Road to Wrestlemania should steam roll straight through from January to April. I liked when they held it at Survivior Series though, kinda goes with a theme there.

Have to say I agree somewhat. I do think there's room for a PPV between the rumble and wrestlemania but giving 10 guys a shot at the title in said PPV really takes away from the value of the royal rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What would you propose for the Feb PPV lebowskilite?

I liked the No Way Out of Texas Event from 1998 where they meshed 3 different feuds into a multi-man match. Stone Cold, Owen Hart, Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie vs Shawn Michaels (Replaced by Savio Vega), HHH and the New Age Outlaws. They could limit interaction between the opposing guys so as not to spoil Mania too much and also hype it at the same time.

I think at one No Way Out (possibly 2007?) they had the top two feuding guys from Smackdown, Batista and Taker teaming up to square off against the top feud from Raw, Cena and Michaels. Something different. Had them interacting but also not giving anything away and building up tension towards the big event, which is what I reckon would be best.

Yeah, interaction but not an out and out rehearsal for the main event seems like a good way to go. If two top cards feuders were to face off in February it could be to decide the stipulation at Mania but even then the match would have to have some qualification (i.e., a tag match) to prevent it from being a carbon copy of the Mania match.

People going into Mania can also get over in such a PPV (see Cena last year. O.k., everyone hated him still, but the shot of him giving an AA to Kane off the ambulance was the best they were going to do to big him up pre-Mania.) Someone who's challenging for a belt could get a big win in February to put more pressure on the champ going into Wrestlemania.

Someone could challenge someone else for their very spot in a Wrestlemania match - in fact that itself could be an annual tradition, for someone to get the chance to earn a place on the Wrestlemania card but not necessarily for a world title. A good midcard event perhaps.

As usual with WWE, the possibilities are endless but the status quo is one that seems to restrict the potential and makes the least sense. Elimination Chamber certainly could fit in to Extreme Rules, Survivor Series, or even serve as an alternative format for Money in the Bank (Elimination Chamber LADDER Match! I wouldn't like to be booked into that!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Having re read the thread, another in popular opinion I have has really hit me.

I cannot stand AJ Styles. Honestly, I find the guy to be a bore. When he ends up being in an exciting match I often find myself getting into it because of the other wrestlers in the matches, not AJ. When I first saw him years ago I thought he was great, but he never seems to bring anything new to the table for me personally. Heel or face I can't stand listening to his promos. I often wish Bourne went to TNA because I could watch him wrestle against anyone and love it, plus his cocky heel persona in ROH proved he actually is charismatic.

Also, I still am a believer that Ryder could be something special and if he turns heel this year, he could surprise so many people.

Stone Cold should stay retired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Having re read the thread, another in popular opinion I have has really hit me.

I cannot stand AJ Styles. Honestly, I find the guy to be a bore. When he ends up being in an exciting match I often find myself getting into it because of the other wrestlers in the matches, not AJ. When I first saw him years ago I thought he was great, but he never seems to bring anything new to the table for me personally. Heel or face I can't stand listening to his promos. I often wish Bourne went to TNA because I could watch him wrestle against anyone and love it, plus his cocky heel persona in ROH proved he actually is charismatic.
    <3

Advertisement