Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Aj Isn't sexy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Joey Styles was a crap commentator, a whiny annoying little voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The whole Joseph Park thing has long since gotten boring, it was a bit of fun til his PPV match with Bully Ray, but should have stopped there.

The whole Joseph Park thing has long since gotten boring, it was a bit of fun til his PPV match with Bully Ray, but should have stopped there.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6XWYKyRSOyo8w6_08o-mIccY378QgXrzhcyE18XvHZ9ec2Ccc1Q

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've a couple, I don't think TNA's live schedule will work in the long term, they don't do well on house shows, overrated people like Sting don't draw anymore (not like he did in NWA/WCW anyway) Kurt Angle is a shadow of his former himself at this stage and is no longer a draw.

My second gripe probably won't go down well but I don't want Taker involved in WM 29, I think there is too much deference given to him, WWE gave him the stupid gimmick and he was never that great of a worker to begin with. He's being riding off this bullsh!t for too long, he's 47 he should get his arse back in the ring with his goofy gimmick or just go and retire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

GTR63 wrote: »
    Stone Cold should stay retired.

his last match was 10 years ago this Mania, I think its safe to say he's done. He's not doing a Ric Flair. There's a difference between in ring appearances/giving a few stunners every now and then and working a match. He's still a huge draw so having hm turn up every now and then benefits everyones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I've a couple, I don't think TNA's live schedule will work in the long term, they don't do well on house shows, overrated people like Sting don't draw anymore (not like he did in NWA/WCW anyway) Kurt Angle is a shadow of his former himself at this stage and is no longer a draw.

But Hogan and especially Hardy very much are. You could argue the same thing about WWE. Cena is really the only draw there. The lack of Randy Orton wouldn't turn people off just like it wouldn't encourage more people to come. Cena is the only person* who would draw more people in by being advertised. It doesn't matter who else is advertised, your mind is already made up.

* full time only.

TNA have always done pretty well when taking the show on the road. It will be rough at times but overall it's a much better solution.

Rock beating Punk genuinely didn't bother me and I think if it had of been Brock that beat Punk there wouldn't of been half the bitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

Ric flair is overrated. Imho it was the caliber of his competitor that made him look good aka steamboat race Rhodes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BobbyR

Never really minded flair but him and hogan need to walk away their time is long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

BobbyR wrote: »
    Never really minded flair but him and hogan need to walk away their time is long gone.

In fairness to Flair I think he's finally sussed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Rock has been mostly terrible since his return. Fruity Pebbles, Cookiepuss, Twinkie Tits and the rest of his lame humour. It's no different to the stuff they saddle Cena (maybe it's of his own doing sometimes), Sheamo, Miz, Del Rio etc. with! For kids and idiots!

Aside from the PG rating of the shows, it just doesn't compare to his work in the Attitude Era. It also goes to show you can be one of the greatest talkers ever but without good writing it's just not the same. Rock himself doesn't seem like a very creative or interesting guy behind the Rock persona. He also has the worst Twitter account I have ever seen!
    I believe Rock has his own personal writer this time around, like, Brian Gewirtz is being kept around solely to write for the Rock. Think he may have been writing for him for a large portion of the Rock's prime as well.
    The writers in WWE, all the former ones you hear elsewhere anyways, seem to think they're absolutely hilarious guys, they all seem as bad as each other really. I guess you might have to be some kind of awful human to survive in the work environment.

I like his twitter, it's the only part of his whole PR machine where he comes across naturally. Seems like a bit of a mental self-help guru type, but it seems to be a genuine kind of madness.
    ...besides, everyone knows the worst twitter is Ricky Gervais's.

I don't get the Alex Riley hate. think he is ok and could be well over now
    ye his own fault but wwe gave up too

Can't help but feel Bruno was bought to get in the HOF(yeah he deserves to be in) but with the 6 figure payday plus his movie he looks like a sellout tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Can't help but feel Bruno was bought to get in the HOF(yeah he deserves to be in) but with the 6 figure payday plus his movie he looks like a sellout tbh.
    Sellout? Would you stop. A six figure sum for doing nothing basically? Fair f*cks to him. Everyone else gets a sh*tty ring for going into the HOF and a few mins to make a crap speech. Bruno gets a shedload in money and does it on his terms. Good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Not to derail this and all that, but wouldn't the fact that the WWE had to overhaul their entire programming to convice him make Sammartino the polar opposite of a sell-out?

Granted, I'm not suggesting that the move to PG had anything other than lucrative toy deals, ad time and the live bottom-line behind it, but yes, Bruno stuck to his principles, and it was the 'E that changed their position, not him. He has gone on record many times that he'd be open to the HoF if WWE reconsidered their approach to drugs and the sexual overtones that was prevalent in their product, and they did.

Kudos to him for making the most of the renewed spotlight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sellout? Would you stop. A six figure sum for doing nothing basically? Fair f*cks to him. Everyone else gets a sh*tty ring for going into the HOF and a few mins to make a crap speech. Bruno gets a shedload in money and does it on his terms. Good for him.

"Selling out" is one thing I genuinely don't understand about wrestling, how often in the ECW days did you hear people chanting "you sold out!" at wrestlers moving to bigger more secure paydays, or at Brock and Goldberg during their match, nobody is indebted to be a wrestler forever, but some fans seem to think they are.
    Like how dare they do something else instead of being hurt every other night for less pay than making a movie or whatever other business venture they go into. There's more guys who let the business use them than they use the business, who have short runs, make their money and leave to do something else, instead of winding up drug or drink addicts eeking out a living hawking autographs and shoot interviews years after their prime.

Bruno stuck to his guns for years, not like guys like Flair who insult a promotion one minute then go work for them the next, although I suppose all those ex wives won't support themselves.

Oh i`d hardly turn it down myself (Ok GTR the movie would be an unnecessary total mess)but the wellness policy and PG direction were hardly done recently with the intent to woo Bruno. But it looks bad when you hear what he`s getting and the rest are getting the standard HOF conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

what IS he getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

"You sold out chants" don't bother me, just fans being passionate. Like people who talk about "their" football team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Oh i`d hardly turn it down myself (Ok GTR the movie would be an unnecessary total mess)but the wellness policy and PG direction were hardly done recently with the intent to woo Bruno. But it looks bad when you hear what he`s getting and the rest are getting the standard HOF conditions.
    The rest just aren't as cute as Bruno is.

Id pay to see your movie.

I think antonio cessaro is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

smilerf wrote: »
    Ric flair is overrated. Imho it was the caliber of his competitor that made him look good aka steamboat race Rhodes etc
    smilerf wrote: »
    I think antonio cessaro is awful

34072359.jpg

They're my opinions they're unpopular as the thread is called. Deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I like when the title changes hands more regularly. It's exciting and gives more people a chance to be at the top, helping to make stars; for example in 1999 there were so many different champions and all became main event stars - the length of the reign didn't matter. It was great when the title changed hands 5 times between The Rock and Mankind between November 1998 and February 1999 - it was a brilliant feud where you didn't know what would happen next. CM Punk held the title too long but that was understandable given it was to lead to a match with The Rock but other than that the last part of his title run was really dragging and under other circumstances should have lost it before.

The idea of Sammartino holding the belt for six years and Hulk Hogan holding the belt for four years - I just can't understand. It must have been really boring even if there was less wrestling on TV back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I like when the title changes hands more regularly. It's exciting and gives more people a chance to be at the top, helping to make stars; for example in 1999 there were so many different champions and all became main event stars - the length of the reign didn't matter. It was great when the title changed hands 5 times between The Rock and Mankind between November 1998 and February 1999 - it was a brilliant feud where you didn't know what would happen next. CM Punk held the title too long but that was understandable given it was to lead to a match with The Rock but other than that the last part of his title run was really dragging and under other circumstances should have lost it before.

The idea of Sammartino holding the belt for six years and Hulk Hogan holding the belt for four years - I just can't understand. It must have been really boring even if there was less wrestling on TV back then.

The amount of TV time is the difference. When Hogan was on top for four year WWF had only a couple of hours a week. They have close to ten now and monthly PPV's. Things that last a month today could have lasted six months back then. Bruno's time would have had even less TV so lasted longer again. Punk's title reign probably would have come close to Hogan if it happened back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I think D-Lo Brown was one of the most underrated wrestlers of all time and was a victim of being overshadowed by Roack, Austin etc. Solid - great in the ring and always had charisma. There were times when he's be getting a bigger reaction on Heat than most guys on the main roster (That could have been because of his sweet ass theme music though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

For a long time I thought his music said "Dude you've got the real dude now"

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Hahahah can actually hear that now you've said it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

TNA want to be big they want to challenge the WWE. But yet they put their belt on an out of shape forty something year old mid carder. The guy is a joke, I don't buy him.

Advertisement