Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Jeff Hardy, Christopher Daniels and a smattering of other upper-tier TNA talent have gone on record in saying that competing is no longer the goal, but solely to be an alternative. I believe this reflects a company-wide philosophy.

As for my contribution to this thread, and it is questionable, TNA have gotten leaps and bounds better at showcasing and promoting 'their' guys. In the last year and a half, we've seen legacy-acts such as Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, James Storm and Christopher Daniels go from also-rans into bonafide stars.

I think Bully Ray is the first guy to fully utilize the opportunity TNA offers. We've seen legends and midcarders alike, for years in TNA, coasting and working off something they were in another company. Not Bully, he got over as a somewhat new act, and in contrast to the Angles, Hardys, RVD et al, gave you a reason to consider him a star through TNA-work alone. I think this not only benefits Bully, but also TNA as a whole, as being a platform in which such a turnabout can take place.

Also, on another note, I'm not sure just how comfortable I am with the concept of the 'Bound for Glory' series. As much as I enjoy a tournament/league notion in pro-wrestling, I dunno how beneficial it is to TNA to have the likes of Joe/Angle or Storm/Styles take place on Impact with usually, at most, 2 weeks hype. TNA has proven it can play host to heated blood-feuds with Storm/Roode, why not expand on it? I mean, we can have more than 1 long-term feud at a time, it's okay. We can handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ethan Swagger

smilerf wrote: »
    I think antonio cessaro is awful

I disagree. Being a former rugby player stands to him in the ring. More like him are needed to give pro wrestling greater street cred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Maybe Vince should give BOD a call. He'll have lots of spare time now....

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

agree on the bound for glory series. I think TNA use it as an alternative to the royal rumble. The thing is, there's no point trying to compete with the royal rumble, you either go too complex (ww3) or too boring (wwe, bfg).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Ah, WW3. Now that thing was a massive clusterf*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

A TNA Royal Rumble would be cool. I doubt WWE can actually trademark the concept and rules of the Rumble match, so TNA should should blatantly copy it and it would probably do their biggest buyrate of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Charisteas wrote: »
    A TNA Royal Rumble would be cool. I doubt WWE can actually trademark the concept and rules of the Rumble match, so TNA should should blatantly copy it and it would probably do their biggest buyrate of the year.

A rumble match but the final two have a match that ends with pinfall or submission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Charisteas wrote: »

I wonder, whatever about the name but the concept I doubt, sure all promotions have some variation of something, the WWE weren't the first to have ladder matches or whatever, the TLC maybe but thats just the name, a TLC match was just a match in ECW :pac:

I like the endings of Rumbles, 2007 is my favourite one by far, Taker and Shawn stealing the show in the last few minutes, its probably the best rumble ever tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

krudler wrote: »
    I like the endings of Rumbles, 2007 is my favourite one by far, Taker and Shawn stealing the show in the last few minutes, its probably the best rumble ever tbh.

1992 would be my choice for best Rumble match ever, though 1994 with the Bret/Luger ending, 1995 with Shawn and Bulldog both going bell to bell and 1996 with Shawn's return push it close too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'd say TNA are reluctant to do a Rumble type match because it is such a big match for WWE. You couldnt get away with not being accused of ripping it off.

I'd like to see it as they have plently of guys who could realistically win whereas WWE only have four or five at most, usually less.

Potential winners off the top of my head: Hardy, Aries, Roode, Storm, Bully, Styles, Joe, Angle and Sting while you could make a case for Daniels, Kazarian, Morgan, Magnus and Anderson. Thats nearly half the (30 man) match as potential winners! Keep it to 20 instead of 30 and you'd only have a couple of people who dont have much chance of winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Tna's royal rumble - Call it a Royal Battle? (ie a reverse battle royal). Or if u want a gimmick name, "1 vs The World".

I was gonna mention stealing the KOTR but that's what the B4G Tourney is :P

Remember the TNA reverse battle royal where the winner had to get back in the ring?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Remember the TNA reverse battle royal where the winner had to get back in the ring?!

TNA doing things ass backwards as usual :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I believe there was a haircut involved as well lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

John Cena should move back to Smackdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

764dak wrote: »
    John Cena should move back to Smackdown.

He appears every now and then, but since there are no brands anymore, it wouldnt make sense for him not to be on Raw. If the brands were still around, I'd have agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The argument that "every one is the same nowadays" is a bit much. Everyone has their characters and their little tweaks it's just the way things are booked(or have to be booked) now a days, everything seems a bit samesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Taker should drop the streak to Punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

ShagNastii wrote: »
    The argument that "every one is the same nowadays" is a bit much. Everyone has their characters and their little tweaks it's just the way things are booked(or have to be booked) now a days, everything seems a bit samesy.

I'd say it also has something to do with us all being twelve years older than we were during the attitude era. Wrestlers are no more the same as each other now than they were. It's the same with politicians. But after you pay attention for longer, things seem more "samesy" than they did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'd say it also has something to do with us all being twelve years older than we were during the attitude era. Wrestlers are no more the same as each other now than they were. It's the same with politicians. But after you pay attention for longer, things seem more "samesy" than they did before.

I completely disagree. There's a reason everyone in WWE appears to be so interchangeable. The main difference between now and the Attitude Era is that while back then wrestlers were mainly given bullet points to hit in their promos, today everything that's said the vast majority of the time on the mic has been scripted word for word. It leaves for far less originality. However the main problem is that back in the Attitude Era you had so many wrestlers from so many different backgrounds, all of whom learned their trade in a multitude of different places which again led to originality. Today practically all of the wrestlers on the roster have gone through the same development territory, have been taught to work the same way as each other by the same trainers and are told to wrestle purely WWE style matches. Occasionally you'll get a Daniel Bryan or a CM Punk who are given a bit of lee weigh but for the most part everybody wrestles the same, everybody talks the same so of course they are going to be "samesy."

• Advertisement

^^^^^

Apparently one of the things Hunter will be keen to change when he takes over is to have less scripting of promos and give wrestlers more power to write their own. Hopefully happens.

^^^^^

Apparently one of the things Hunter will be keen to change when he takes over is to have less scripting of promos and give wrestlers more power to write their own. Hopefully happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Im actually really excited for Wrestlemania this year

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    He appears every now and then, but since there are no brands anymore, it wouldnt make sense for him not to be on Raw. If the brands were still around, I'd have agreed.

Well, you can still agree. WWE still categorizes wrestlers by their brands on WWE.com. All Smackdown wrestlers can appear on Raw. Tag teams and divas appear on either brand since unification of titles. Most Raw singles wrestlers don't appear on Smackdown. It seems counter-intuitive for John Cena to say he works hard as everybody when guys like Sheamus and Orton wrestle at least twice a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Pro wrestling should not be categorised as a sport

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

garhjw wrote: »

Why not?

garhjw wrote: »

It's sports entertainment. It's funny how Sky Sports treats it as a sport (and even interview wrestlers) but in North America wrestling isn't even mentioned on ESPN besides as an occasional funny reference.

BTW, the last time I've heard a reference was during a SportsCenter segment about NBA All-Star game. The anchor (Robert Flores, I think) said the All-East team was like having the WCW and NWO on one team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

It's not competitive in that results are pre determined so its not a sport. It can be entertaining though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I always imagined what would happen with this place if we had to move next to Pokemon over in the TV section. :)
    Aw Pikachu should of turned heel on Ash and Team Rocket were carried by Meowth.

• Advertisement

Leave pokemon out of this :P

Advertisement