Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

GTR63 wrote: »
    I always imagined what would happen with this place if we had to move next to Pokemon over in the TV section. :)
    Aw Pikachu should of turned heel on Ash and Team Rocket were carried by Meowth.

Pikachu turned babyface to save Ash, would have been some swerve if it was just to get close to him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

I was hoping for an ash/rocket double-turn every episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Rocket went face for one episode and succeeded nearly turning them face full time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

There are too many wrestlers that say "I respect you" nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I thought the crowd at the Izod center last Monday were a bunch of marks.

Geeks and Freaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Completely unrepresentative of the actual fanbase,almost like the lads who went out to Poland on holiday during Euro 2012 and sung the fields of athenry when Ireland were getting hammered.

''We are awesome''' chant was pretty cringeworthy too I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Exactly, we're on the very same wavelength.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I thought the crowd at the Izod center last Monday were a bunch of marks.

Geeks and Freaks.

I consider smarks to be the geeks and freaks. Marks just want to have fun and enjoy the show regardless of who wins; instead of complaining every result is either too predictable or the wrong result.

It's absurd that people consider calling someone a mark an insult.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

To be honest Smarks are the new marks because marks think they know a hell of a lot more that they do! I don't really have time for either definition as people are fans - thats it in my opinion.

To be honest I agree with the point about the crowd, they don't represent the everyday audience at all. I thought the crowd reactions/behavior during the Orton v Sheamus match was genuinely bizarro world stuff.

I felt bad for Orton and Sheamus. They did nothing wrong but the crowd picked that match to make themselves the center of attention and completly ignore it.

• Advertisement

In fairness most of the crowd are people who travelled to New Jersey for the weekend to watch the shows and party all day. They were probably quite drunk and just in a good mood. They just wanted to have fun. It's not like a normal RAW crowd, just coming from work with their families, etc. I can imagine being there, and everyone trying to outdo the others with new chants. I don't think it was disrespectful to Sheamus and Orton, more that they just wanted to have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

DM-ICE wrote: »
    To be honest I agree with the point about the crowd, they don't represent the everyday audience at all. I though the crowd reactions/behaviour during the Orton v Sheamus match was genuinely bizarro world stuff.

I have to say that entire story is bizzarro land. Orton was clearly in the wrong but Big Show had to attack Sheamus first to convince us that it was he who was wrong.

Big Show is see-sawing between face and heeldom and all it's proving is that WWE creative aren't very good at building storylines and conceptualising the likely outcomes of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I felt bad for Orton and Sheamus. They did nothing wrong but the crowd picked that match to make themselves the center of attention and completly ignore it.

Orton seemed quite pissed but Sheamus was trying not to laugh you could see it a few times. As for the crowd having fun, so what? They paid to attend they can chant what they want, and none of it was bad natured, the wrestlers, announcers and crew all got a kick out of it. A good crowd makes watching wrestling infinitely more enjoyable.

I have to say that entire story is bizzarro land. Orton was clearly in the wrong but Big Show had to attack Sheamus first to convince us that it was he who was wrong.

Big Show is see-sawing between face and heeldom and all it's proving is that WWE creative aren't very good at building storylines and conceptualising the likely outcomes of events.

Or Orton tagged himself into the match at mania and Big Show took it bad, stood back and let his team lose (not just Orton) then attacked both guys after the match.

Who cares who's heel and who's face? The fact its a bit ambiguous is part of the fun. I'm enjoying that storyline anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I don't see any of the fuss over Summer Rae. Fandangos nameless dancer was twice as classy and gorgeous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Bill Goldberg was ****ing awesome .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

while not the most talented in ring he was believable and had an aura about him he had a couple of nice moves though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Something WWE could never replicate in their company. Incredible physical charisma, aura and initial booking. It makes me a little sad fans today don't have someone they can flip out about. The first time I saw Goldberg I flipped out, a snarling beast, snorting smoke, spitting fire, kicking ass. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Something WWE could never replicate in their company. Incredible physical charisma, aura and initial booking. It makes me a little sad fans today don't have someone they can flip out about. The first time I saw Goldberg I flipped out, a snarling beast, snorting smoke, spitting fire, kicking ass. Amazing.

my cousin was at the match vs Hogan when he first won the WCW title. Says the television broadcast doesn't do the atmosphere justice, it was a real the world on Goldbergs shoulders versus the evil Hogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I like tony schivone's commentating. . . Love it on dvds etc even in the ledgends of wrestlin game. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Sirsok wrote: »
    I like tony schivone's commentating. . . Love it on dvds etc even in the legends of wrestlin game. . .

That reminds me. WWE dubbed Jesse Ventura out of the WarGames dvd to get themselves out of paying him royalties.
    Now that is spite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

WWF settled with Ventura for home video royalties and his commentary has been included in WWE DVDs. I suspect that since their settlement didn't include WCW's library (the court case was early 90s iirc) they don't want to put his WCW commentary for fear of another court case and more royalties payments.

WWE must have made a fortune out of the WCW video library. The bought it for about $3m I think.

(sorry for double post, am on mobile and when I edit a post it seems to then post code in the edited post....)

My unpopular opinion would be that I'm bored of Brock Lesnar. He's only wrestled two guys in the year and a half since his return and only one out of four of them matches were good. With each casual appearance he makes he loses more appeal since the formula now seems to be that either he puts someone over and goes away or he gets beat and then returns the favour a few months later. The CM Punk match might be good but other than increase the PPV buyrate, long-term I fail to see the point. I wouldn't be surprised if Lesnar wins, breaks Punk's and then a rematch at HIAC maybe which Punk wins and then Brock goes away until Mania next year.

I just think he looks daft (storyline-wise) showing up every now and then and then going away. In the new re-released Brock DVD he says how he wants to be on top again and makes an overture to regaining the WWE title but he obviously hasn't been pushed in that direction since returning. Special occasion Lesnar just doesn't look that special to me.

he obviously hasn't been pushed in that direction since returning. Special occasion Lesnar just doesn't look that special to me.

He was originally only signed for one year. Cant blame them for just having him re-pay them for him walking away all those years ago.

Problem with Lesnar is that he doesnt care. He doesnt need the money at all and is only there because he wants to be. If he gets bored and decides to leave again, who's going to stop him? WWE wont force him to stay as he could easily cripple most of the roster and claim it was an accident.

WWE cant put a lot on him as he has a prior history of walking away.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    He was originally only signed for one year. Cant blame them for just having him re-pay them for him walking away all those years ago.

Problem with Lesnar is that he doesnt care. He doesnt need the money at all and is only there because he wants to be. If he gets bored and decides to leave again, who's going to stop him? WWE wont force him to stay as he could easily cripple most of the roster and claim it was an accident.

WWE cant put a lot on him as he has a prior history of walking away.

:confused:

Em, I think Brock is there because he wants the money not because he wants to be. He might not need another 7 figures in his bank account however. I doubt he wants to be there. Has he ever actually expressed any interest in pro wrestling? You know how some wrestlers talk of admiring or respecting another's work, favorite matches etc.

:confused:

Em, I think Brock is there because he wants the money not because he wants to be. He might not need another 7 figures in his bank account however. I doubt he wants to be there. Has he ever actually expressed any interest in pro wrestling? You know how some wrestlers talk of admiring or respecting another's work, favorite matches etc.

He doesnt need the money. He probably has millions of dollars. He is only there because he wants to be there. He may not have a huge interest in wrestling, he might just see it as something to keep him busy. A hobby of sorts. When you get bored with a hobby, you stop doing it. Exactly what Lesnar could do at any time.

He could like being on TV. He could like getting the chance to hurt people. Who knows why he chose to come back, but he isnt there because he needs to be. He is there because he wants to be. If he was still able to be an MMA fighter, he wouldnt have even considered a return to wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The thing that gets me about Brock:

His walking-out has been cited many times, by the likes of Powerslam, Torch and whatnot, as a major factor in WWE's 'stop-start' booking of newer guys, as there's this pervading fear of it being 'too much, too soon', and a talent having the power to simply up sticks and doddle off, regardless off how much time, and money, the 'E has invested in them.

Now it's a policy, for better or worse, and yes, mostly the latter. Then, Lesnar comes back in after 10 years and the 'E rolls over. Now, it is only good business; Lesnar is a name, a great talent, and should be treated as such, but having the guy whose departure is held responsible for the likes of the Barretts, Zigglers et al toiling on the undercard for prolonged periods, whilst he's taking home a 7-figure salary in a marquee spot on the very same card, is an irony sometimes too delicious for me not to remark on.

Granted, it also doesn't help that the last time they tried even half a Lesnar-push on a guy, he milled his toys outta the pram and toddled off. Then again, Lashley, on his best day, had only a 17th of Lesnar's beastly charisma, so it could be considered a veiled blessing.

In many cases Lesner's departure is most likely wrongly sighted as the reason for stop start pushes.

In the case of a guy like Swagger with the amateur wrestling background and his athletic frame then yes you are talking about a guy that could leave and do something else. Good example of the theory.

In the case of Ziggler who has an amateur wrestling background - he is there since Chavo's caddy and the Spirit Squad, who has become an entertainer or Wade, a guy that is a pro wrestler for years I think the chances of them doing anything like what Brock did are pretty slim. I doubt WWE would be even slightly worried they would go off to UFC and the like. Bad examples.

It took years of stop starts for people like Bret Hart to rise to the top, stop starts and its just how the industry works.

Its even harder now that you can't leave and go somewhere else, one or two people in WWE form an opinion that your not right/ready etc and your screwed. When WCW and ECW were around you had other options. Look at Austin. Would never have got to the top in WCW, went to ECW, Vince liked what he saw and he ended up in WWE with the right people supporting him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

I wish Rey Mysterio never appears in WWE again.

Advertisement