Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Omackeral wrote: »
    Seth Rollins is equal to Dolph Ziggler at selling... if not better.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Now that is an unpopular opinion. Unless you're into homophobia.

Hottest heel in 1996 were NWO. In WWF I'd say Mankind. Homophobe Goldust was abhorent.

Steve Austin should've been pushed as a big heel throughout 1996 (before the Bret Hart angle) but as the IWC and WWE is wont to do they like to pretend the WWF had nurtured Austin to be a star from the beginning. He scored a "fluke" win over a morbidly obese Yoke in the preview match at SummerSlam 96.

Dunno if it's unpopular or not but I believe Dolph Ziggler could be the next big thing if WWE would just give him the damn ball and let him run :mad:

Yeah that was a fluke, considering Yoko was still tolding the rope while he was pinned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I never thought Dolphs flip flopping was why people like him.

His "selling" is often cited as being amazing and from there is snowballs into him being held down and the best thing in wrestling not named Daniel Bryan.

Guy is an average midcarder and not a lot more. He'd be lost in the WWE title scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

garhjw wrote: »
    What?

Oh sorry buddy, maybe you don't know what selling means. I made the mistake of thinking most people around here did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

think a few peolpe may be forgetting these opinions are supposed to be unpopular. People posting already know you think they are wrong in most cases, they just dont agree

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    His "selling" is often cited as being amazing and from there is snowballs into him being held down and the best thing in wrestling not named Daniel Bryan.

Guy is an average midcarder and not a lot more. He'd be lost in the WWE title scene.

Fair enough, I am not going to start a poll or anything

Its not why I like him anyway. I do agree he oversells things for the sake of it at times.

I think he showed he can sell very well in the right way against Del Rio. But as Dolph would say - whatevs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

I have never thought the likes of Drew McIntyre and Jack Swagger deserve anything remotely resembling a main event push. It was sad to see them fall so far in their careers but there are dozens of other guys on the roster who are superior to them in every way. They can work good matches but are as bland as can be. Not even Zeb Coulter can make Swagger interesting. He's a manager that takes attention away from his wrestler because the wrestler is such a charisma vacuum. Drew McIntyre can't cut a promo to save his life. His accent does hold him back somewhat but he's boring in the ring as well.

I think Alex Riley is incredibly underrated. In fact I think he makes a much better face than heel. I've seen matches from live events and NXT and he makes a really good face. If he were to get another midcard push as a face I believe he'd do quite well. He always puts the effort into his matches and I find it very easy to root for him.

I also believe Aksana is very underrated in terms of the Divas. When she was in FCW she put on some very consistent performances and was able to lead matches with the newer girls. Most of her hate seems to come from one bad elbow drop in a match on Raw - which is the fault of WWE for calling her up and not having her wrestle for six months. Now I've seen her work well with Layla, Natalya, Paige and Kaitlyn in various matches. She always makes the effort to involve the crowd in her matches as well as being in complete control of her character. As well as that, she tries to keep the parts where she's in control somewhat interesting without killing the crowd. I think within a year or so she could be championship material. Right now I find her more reliable ring-wise than our current Divas' Champion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

think a few people may be forgetting these opinions are supposed to be unpopular. People posting already know you think they are wrong in most cases, they just dont agree

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpDo4JVpFy1qekj3DWklJqAiPNPfDygQ_MLZW4GoXQs3XOPzkihQ

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

CM Punk against Lesnar doesn't work for me. The size and weight difference is too extreme, the way he throws Punk around like a ragdoll is uncomfortable to watch at times. Lesnar could actually legitimately Kill this guy if they fought for real.

If Punk goes over in the match at Summerslam it will look bloody ridiculous no matter how they work it.

When Michael Cole or other Wrestling announcers turn into Joe Rogan calling a fight when an MMA guy is having a scrap with a guy is so cringeworthy. "Lesnar is rocked" as Punk hits him with powder puff forearms & unconvincing kicks. I expect JBL to shout "and it is all over" at the end instead of the increasingly rare "ballgame" call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I hear a lot of wrestling fans/journalists complaining about being 'taken out of the moment' when it comes to actions of different characters on TV. Vince McMahon/Daniel Bryan/Cena at the moment is an example. I dunno about the rest of you, but I find it pretty much impossible to become engrossed in a wrestling show like I would a tv drama or movie which a lot of people compare wrestling to.

There are some recent exceptions like Punks Promo, Heyman/Vince/Steph interactions, Cena/Rock 'shooting' on each other which I can completely get excited for but I think that's because most of these situations are based on their true feelings behind the scenes - perhaps not the last example. I think wrestling is at it's best when the lines between fiction and reality are blurred.

I skip the vast majority of actual wrestling on Raw. While I'm in awe of their world class athleticism and ability, wrestling for the sake of it does nothing for me. Without an element of interaction like those listed above (there are lots more examples - many involving Punk) I really haven't cared for the stories told in wrestling matches since I was 15.

Then again, I'm one of the those strange people who prefers the rock n' roll show production, larger than life characters and promo skills more than actual wrestling ability. If a wrestler has all of the above, even better but I'd take a 5 min Hulkster match over a 30 min exhibition any day.

I think the politics of wrestling is extremely interesting and the rise of Daniel Bryan, Punk against the odds etc. makes it so compelling to follow.

It's early, rambled a bit, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I hear a lot of wrestling fans/journalists complaining about being 'taken out of the moment' when it comes to actions of different characters on TV. Vince McMahon/Daniel Bryan/Cena at the moment is an example. I dunno about the rest of you, but I find it pretty much impossible to become engrossed in a wrestling show like I would a tv drama or movie which a lot of people compare wrestling to.

There are some recent exceptions like Punks Promo, Heyman/Vince/Steph interactions, Cena/Rock 'shooting' on each other which I can completely get excited for but I think that's because most of these situations are based on their true feelings behind the scenes - perhaps not the last example. I think wrestling is at it's best when the lines between fiction and reality are blurred.

I skip the vast majority of actual wrestling on Raw. While I'm in awe of their world class athleticism and ability, wrestling for the sake of it does nothing for me. Without an element of interaction like those listed above (there are lots more examples - many involving Punk) I really haven't cared for the stories told in wrestling matches since I was 15.

Then again, I'm one of the those strange people who prefers the rock n' roll show production, larger than life characters and promo skills more than actual wrestling ability. If a wrestler has all of the above, even better but I'd take a 5 min Hulkster match over a 30 min exhibition any day.

I think the politics of wrestling is extremely interesting and the rise of Daniel Bryan, Punk against the odds etc. makes it so compelling to follow.

It's early, rambled a bit, sorry.

All that stuff is better than anything creative can come up with. Punk's whole thing with the title in the summer of 2011 was the best angle in a decade. him showing up and comic con and all that stuff just made it even better, you knew it was a work but it was how it was done that made it so compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

CM Punk has taken the majority of his moves and fashioned his style from Kenta. His GTS is the weakest looking thing out there. He's average in the ring and the geeky marks like him because he's small and not built, they feel if they could lose an extra 100 pounds of fat they could be just like him.

It's never believable when he's in there with a big guy, he's not good enough to pass it off. His 'Savage' Elbow drop is pathetic looking.

Overhyped and overinflated in the IWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I miss Vince McMahon as a commentator. I rated him very highly, and the 3 man team of Vince, JR & King had a great dynamic together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I miss Vince McMahon as a commentator. I rated him very highly, and the 3 man team of Vince, JR & King had a great dynamic together.

UnBElievable!

CM Punk has taken the majority of his moves and fashioned his style from Kenta. His GTS is the weakest looking thing out there. He's average in the ring and the geeky marks like him because he's small and not built, they feel if they could lose an extra 100 pounds of fat they could be just like him.

It's never believable when he's in there with a big guy, he's not good enough to pass it off. His 'Savage' Elbow drop is pathetic looking.

Overhyped and overinflated in the IWC.

I think you're under rating now. The reality is somewhere in between for me. Not the God that a lot of people will have you believe, but still one of the best WWE have. His elbow drop is horrendous though. The first one against Lesnar was more a splash than an elbow.

As for the GTS, I suspect you could list the good hits on one hand if you were patient enough to go back and watch every single one. He's way too small for a move like that to be his main finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

His elbow drop is horrendous though.

THANK YOU. I love Punk but his Randy Savage elbow is a disgrace. It's so sloppy, no finesse or precision. I'm surprised he doesn't get boo'ed for it, as he got boo'ed for trying to steal Eddie's 3 Amigos triple suplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Savage/Steamboat is good and maybe for its time it was great but the best match ever, I don't think so.

The Youngbucks were a bunch of spot monkeys.

WWE have been producing some great tv over the last few months and the wrestling in WWE over the last couple of years has generally been of a high quality.

The likes of John Morrison and Kofi Kingston never made it to the main event not because they were held down but because they weren't good enough.

The Youngbucks were a bunch of spot monkeys.

Very good spot monkeys though!

I think you're under rating now. The reality is somewhere in between for me. Not the God that a lot of people will have you believe, but still one of the best WWE have. His elbow drop is horrendous though. The first one against Lesnar was more a splash than an elbow.

As for the GTS, I suspect you could list the good hits on one hand if you were patient enough to go back and watch every single one. He's way too small for a move like that to be his main finish.

Said the exact same thing at the time about it looking like a splash he's embarrassing himself and Savage by continuing to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Agreed about Kingston and Morrison. I'd have to say Morrison was one of the worst high flyers there was. He was always like a robot in the ring. No passion, no intensity, just an endless series of flips. He couldn't cut a face promo to save his life. He worked much better in MNM and decently enough on ECW. Kingston just doesn't do anything for me. He has good matches but they're all the same. Evan Bourne is much more likeable and has much more potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

That wyatt family red neck crap with the fool sitting on a rocking chair at ring side is a load of sh*t

garhjw wrote: »
    That wyatt family red neck crap with the fool sitting on a rocking chair at ring side is a load of sh*t

Oddly, I was just about to say I think they are dead in the water unless something big happens soon. It just hasn't worked for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

EdK wrote: »
    Said the exact same thing at the time about it looking like a splash he's embarrassing himself and Savage by continuing to do it!

That first elbow drop on lesnar was done on his bad side though, he used his left arm and had to cause of the way lesnar landed

Oddly, I was just about to say I think they are dead in the water unless something big happens soon. It just hasn't worked for them.

The guy(Erik Rowan :confused:) in the sheep mask is more money with the mask on than off :p

Sirsok wrote: »
    That first elbow drop on lesnar was done on his bad side though, he used his left arm and had to cause of the way lesnar landed

Wrestlers are trained to lead with their left. It's a standard the world over. Punk would be no different so shouldnt have a bad side for something as basic as an elbow drop.

Wrestlers are trained to lead with their left. It's a standard the world over. Punk would be no different so shouldnt have a bad side for something as basic as an elbow drop.

Wrestlers work the left, which means if the work an arm or leg, its the left side they attack. This doesnt apply for elbow drops. Look at HBK for example, always dropped the elbow from the right.

Wrestlers work the left, which means if the work an arm or leg, its the left side they attack. This doesnt apply for elbow drops. Look at HBK for example, always dropped the elbow from the right.

It's an elbow drop. It's a basic move. Shouldnt matter what arm he used for such a basic move. At the end of the day, he made a balls of it.

Wrestlers lead with their left. Suplex's etc are always done the same way. To lead with the left.

It's an elbow drop. It's a basic move. Shouldnt matter what arm he used for such a basic move. At the end of the day, he made a balls of it.

Wrestlers lead with their left. Suplex's etc are always done the same way. To lead with the left.
    Theres no doubt its a basic move, and no doubt he made a balls of it. But if he's used to dropping it from his right, its understandable why he f'ed it up dropping from his left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Theres no doubt its a basic move, and no doubt he made a balls of it. But if he's used to dropping it from his right, its understandable why he f'ed it up dropping from his left.

You say that as if he only dropped one bad elbow, his elbow drop is always awful.

Advertisement