Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Wish The Undertaker would retire or someone would take the streak. If he was facing someone up and coming at least there's a discussion about whether the streak will end.

The Shield haven't grown on me at all. Ambrose has a face you want to punch - not in a heel sense. His act/promos just seem forced. Rollins has no charisma. Hopefully Reigns takes after his cousin, but I don't see it so far.

I like Zack Ryder. Think he could be a good heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wish The Undertaker would retire or someone would take the streak. If he was facing someone up and coming at least there's a discussion about whether the streak will end.

The Shield haven't grown on me at all. Ambrose has a face you want to punch - not in a heel sense. His act/promos just seem forced. Rollins has no charisma. Hopefully Reigns takes after his cousin, but I don't see it so far.

I like Zack Ryder. Think he could be a good heel.

I think individually they are all talented but a year and a bit into the Shield storyline and we still don't no why they're here, what's their aim or goal, their raison d'etre? For eg nWo wanted to take over WCW.

This vague 'hounds of justice' tagline makes no sense, what perceived injustice are they fighting against?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

im happy punk is gone and genuinely don't miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

im happy punk is gone and genuinely don't miss him.

the product hasn't suffered without him

Daniel Bryan fans should really be happy he's gone. AFAIK the original WM plan was for him to face Sheamus, probably as a heel with the Authority, while HHH would have been against Punk. Which would have meant there would be logical way to put DB in the main event

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

the product hasn't suffered without him

Daniel Bryan fans should really be happy he's gone. AFAIK the original WM plan was for him to face Sheamus, probably as a heel with the Authority, while HHH would have been against Punk. Which would have meant there would be logical way to put DB in the main event

I think Bryan would still have gotten into the main event. If anything, he might have just bypassed double duty and been added straight into the feud. The crowd were turning on the Batista/Orton match idea just before Punk left, Bryan was their choice at the Rumble. He likely woudnt have been chasing Hunter and would have been cleanly moved into the title match without having to "qualify" at Mania first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I think Bryan would still have gotten into the main event. If anything, he might have just bypassed double duty and been added straight into the feud. The crowd were turning on the Batista/Orton match idea just before Punk left, Bryan was their choice at the Rumble. He likely woudnt have been chasing Hunter and would have been cleanly moved into the title match without having to "qualify" at Mania first.

The only reason they put Bryan into his current spot is because Punk left. If Punk were around, he would be the one facing Triple H to qualify for the title match. Bryan would still be feuding with Sheamus in the show opener.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The only reason they put Bryan into his current spot is because Punk left. If Punk were around, he would be the one facing Triple H to qualify for the title match. Bryan would still be feuding with Sheamus in the show opener.

surely if that was the case Punk wouldnt be p!ssed with what creative had for him (although it is actually only speculation in the most that this is why he left) as doing double duty at Mania including headlining as the fan favourite after beating Hunter is pretty hard to beat especially when your Punk nad have stated numerous times your one remaining goal is to main event Mania

surely if that was the case Punk wouldnt be p!ssed with what creative had for him (although it is actually only speculation in the most that this is why he left) as doing double duty at Mania including headlining as the fan favourite after beating Hunter is pretty hard to beat especially when your Punk nad have stated numerous times your one remaining goal is to main event Mania

When he left the plan was clearly Orton vs Batista. It's only been recently that they changed their minds on that. It's too late for him now.

Had Punk never left, he'd have beaten Kane like Bryan did then move on to Triple H, like Bryan did. The plan was never to include Bryan/Punk in the main event until recently when they were forced into it. Bryan would have still been lumped with Sheamus in a nothing feud. When Punk left, Bryan took his spot. Everything else continued as was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The guy who would wrestle HHH would likely always of gotten the rub into the title match. What the fúck were WWE thinking when they okayed Orton vs Batista in the first place. Only a moron would think that was a good idea.
    Haven't missed Punk a bit either I am FAR more interested in what happens with the likes of Cesaro or Reigns post Mania than seeing him come back like a stroppy teenager.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Haven't missed Punk a bit either I am FAR more interested in what happens with the likes of Cesaro or Reigns post Mania than seeing him come back like a stroppy teenager.

Completely agree!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

MVP tries too hard to appear sound on TV and on Twitter. He is like your annoying Arts/Religion/Civics "hey gang" teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

No way Bryan was always going to get into the Title picture after the RR no way they would leave him out of the ME at WM30.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SeanJ09

CM Punk > Daniel Bryan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Looper007 wrote: »
    No way Bryan was always going to get into the Title picture after the RR no way they would leave him out of the ME at WM30.

I don't really disagree and although I think he shoulda won the Rumble for his inclusion I do think they always had him in mind for the ME of Mania considering the reaction he was getting and the little things like how Cole was going mad about enough being enough with Bryan being screwed at the end of the chamber (could be wrong though) but I was responding to someone saying the only reason Bryan is in that spot is that Punk walked and that otherwise Punk would have that exact same position, which I didn't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    CM Punk > Daniel Bryan

In terms of Mic skills= I agree Punk wins it all day

In terms of in ring work and having a better connection with the fans= Bryan all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Scooby-Doo Wrestlemania mystery is pretty good. It's something if have loved as a kid. It's funny to see Shaggy and Scooby as such marks too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I've had this rant before so I'll spare you all, but it's always unpopular with those who disagree:

The streak should end. It's not an impressive feat unless you're counting sheer length of tenure. It's a drawing card and, in wrestling, you book looking forward, not backwards. So it's an absolute waste if nobody ends it when he's ready to hang up his boots. It doesn't do him or anyone else any kind of material good to keep it intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Interesting point there, Leggo.
    When you step back and think about it there is no bigger push WWE could give by having a talent go over on the taker at mania. There is a golden opportunity right there. To make the star of tomorrow.

And when you think about it further.... to mirror what you said ... when the undertaker retires, thats it. Yeah sure he will be inducted into the hall of fame. Sure he will have a dvd released which will sell well. But what about the future? WWE needs new stars. The new draws of tomorrow. It's a business.

But personally, I think WWE will never let Taker lose at mania. From a business aspect he should. But they wont book that. Me thinks they will have him go over at his last wrestlemania then come back 5 months later to 'pass on the torch' at SummerSlam or something. But in any case it should be making a guy when (or if) the taker loses. None of this letting the likes of Orton, Cena or any other established guy get the win.

Interesting point there, Leggo.
    When you step back and think about it there is no bigger push WWE could give by having a talent go over on the taker at mania. There is a golden opportunity right there. To make the star of tomorrow.

And when you think about it further.... to mirror what you said ... when the undertaker retires, thats it. Yeah sure he will be inducted into the hall of fame. Sure he will have a dvd released which will sell well. But what about the future? WWE needs new stars. The new draws of tomorrow. It's a business.

But personally, I think WWE will never let Taker lose at mania. From a business aspect he should. But they wont book that. Me thinks they will have him go over at his last wrestlemania then come back 5 months later to 'pass on the torch' at SummerSlam or something. But in any case it should be making a guy when (or if) the taker loses. None of this letting the likes of Orton, Cena or any other established guy get the win.

Yeah, I fear you may be right. On one hand, I try to relate to him using my own (minuscule in comparison) experience in wrestling, and the only thing that would keep me up at night excited about the business after all he's done is to think, "How would I end this perfectly?" Wrestlers are performance artists at the end of the day: they want to do something people have never seen before in front of a big crowd to see the reaction. And why keep coming back unless you're chasing that one last high point?

On the other when I hear the likes of Steve Austin and JR insist the streak should never end, it makes me wonder if WWE feel the same. What is it at the end of the day but a weird booking anomaly (that allows for really intense matches)? If fans see it as important, that's great, it's exactly what you want. But if some of the greatest minds the business has seen feel the same then maybe everyone is bought into it and it'll never end. He could, of course, do a SummerSlam passing of the torch as you say, and I don't think Taker would have any trouble doing so if asked from all I've heard about him. I just feel they'd be missing out on a chance to make someone like they've never made someone before by not doing so at Mania though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

As it stands, the only person I see being in a place to beat it is Cena. If it had gone to Orton back at WM 21 I'd have gotten it too cause it was the legend killer.

I think it's hard to see someone take the streak any more cause WWE seem so hesitant to put all their eggs into that particular basket. It'd be one of the biggest things you could do in the company, nay the business, you don't want to lose that on something that won't work out I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I disagree with you lads.

The streak has become something so special in the eyes of fans that to end it would be a foolish sacrifice in my opinion and I don't believe the positives would outweigh the negatives.

Using the example of 'people should pass the torch', 'put someone over on their way out' doesn't work here. This isn't just about a legend retiring. You would also be retiring one of the major USPs of several Manias past. A prize that Shawn Michaels put his career on the line for and lost. That streak has become as big as Wrestlemania itself and frequently is seen as being equal in importance to the title match. I think the vanquished competitors of the streak, so often enhanced by being involved, would be diminished by its loss as well.

And there's quite a big question here - who needs a rub that big? Seriously?

So okay there's this guy you're super high on. You think you may have the next Rock or Cena on your hands - so why can't this guy make it on his own as they did? And if the guy you are thinking of isn't quite up to their level, why on earth are you sacrificing the most impressive streak in WWE history for his sake?

I recall Taker putting over Brock inside the Cell in 2002 and in about 18 months Brock was gone in acrimonious fashion. Imagine if that happened with the streak. It would be disastrous.

He's been one of the greatest professionals over the years. He's brought a lot to Wrestlemania and made the event feel even more special. Let him end with it intact.

Angron wrote: »
    As it stands, the only person I see being in a place to beat it is Cena. If it had gone to Orton back at WM 21 I'd have gotten it too cause it was the legend killer.

I think it's hard to see someone take the streak any more cause WWE seem so hesitant to put all their chips into that particular basket. It'd be one of the biggest things you could do in the company, nay the business, you don't want to lose that on something that won't work out I guess.

That's the best argument against doing it IMO. WWE have been very gun shy at truly 'making' a guy since Brock left them in 2004. They've gone a certain way with guys like Lashley (and they were right in that regard), Sheamus etc and then they hold back to a degree and let time tell if they stick around.

What I'd counter with if I was in a meeting with Vince et al is that the likes of Austin and Rock wrestled full-time in the company for only 5-6 years each, with 3-4 being at the top. It seems a lot longer thinking back, doesn't it? They don't need to guarantee guys stick around long-term without any real competition for them to go to. Make as much money as you can in the short-term, go all-in with certain guys that make an impact, then do the same with the next generation. If you're the only show in town then they'll either stick around or come back in bursts as the likes of Jericho do.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SeanJ09

Looper007 wrote: »
    In terms of Mic skills= I agree Punk wins it all day

In terms of in ring work and having a better connection with the fans= Bryan all the way.

I agree, but would you agree that there is a smaller gap in standard between Punks and Bryan's in ring work than there is between their mic skills? In terms of Mic Skills and cutting promos, Punk is miles ahead for me.

I disagree with you lads.

The streak has become something so special in the eyes of fans that to end it would be a foolish sacrifice in my opinion and I don't believe the positives would outweigh the negatives.

Using the example of 'people should pass the torch', 'put someone over on their way out' doesn't work here. This isn't just about a legend retiring. You would also be retiring one of the major USPs of several Manias past. A prize that Shawn Michaels put his career on the line for and lost. That streak has become as big as Wrestlemania itself and frequently is seen as being equal in importance to the title match. I think the vanquished competitors of the streak, so often enhanced by being involved, would be diminished by its loss as well.

This part I disagree with: Shawn Michaels' matches with Undertaker won't be any worse because Taker lost down the line. The Streak has lasted for over 20 years and counting, we'll always remember it as The Streak in the same way we remember Goldberg's streak. More recently, CM Punk's long title reign wasn't tainted just because he eventually lost it. These things end when they end. It's the journey we went on that you remember. You're not taking any memories away from fans (it takes something monumental to do that - think Benoit), you're adding a new, incredible memory on top of it all.
    And there's quite a big question here - who needs a rub that big? Seriously?

So okay there's this guy you're super high on. You think you may have the next Rock or Cena on your hands - so why can't this guy make it on his own as they did? And if the guy you are thinking of isn't quite up to their level, why on earth are you sacrificing the most impressive streak in WWE history for his sake?

I recall Taker putting over Brock inside the Cell in 2002 and in about 18 months Brock was gone in acrimonious fashion. Imagine if that happened with the streak. It would be disastrous.

He's been one of the greatest professionals over the years. He's brought a lot to Wrestlemania and made the event feel even more special. Let him end with it intact.

This part I understand a bit more. What if you get it wrong? But, as a consumer of WWE, is that really the approach we want from the company? "Let's just stick with what we've got and works rather than try something new in case it flops" That's how you get Cena with title reign after title reign.

And Taker probably doesn't care all that much about the streak. As a wrestler you think back to great matches and moments more than scripted non-achievements like this, the creating those moments that make these material achievements matter part is your payoff. Here's this one final unforgettable moment you have left that you can do as a performer, you'd want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fr. Sensini

Breaking the streak would be a milestone for anyone who does it. It could overshadow everything else you do and a lot of Undertakers fans would be against whoever it was that beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

D.Bryan a smarky clown with a weird beard and straw hair, it would be funny if HHH kicked him in the the stomach pedegreed'd him and crossed his hand/fist over his beardy beak whilst pinning him at WM30.

The freaks lose and wrestling gets back some credibility.

Brock Lesnar ensured that the Streak will never end.

Let's say Roman Reigns ends it at Wrestlemania 31 but decided to leave a few months later. Congratulations, you just wasted the streak. The only people WWE would allow to beat the streak, are those who dont actually need it. Cena, Orton, etc. The guys who wont be walking away but are also already established wrestlers, making it pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Heath slater to beat the streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

The only person I could ever see beating the streak is Cena. In a heel turn. Which obviously isn't going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Imagine how terrible recent Wrestlemania's would have been if Kurt Angle was allowed break the streak

Advertisement