Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

And yet even during a lull in the product eh still gets lost in the shuffle and cannot do anything interesting. I wonder why :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Why did you post a gif of Chris Jericho throwing around a load of flour in a kitchen?

Listen, It's not our fault Christian is a solid little D+ player. He's just not really relevant anymore and looks somewhat like a real life version of someone out of The Simpsons, who coincidentally, are also irrelevant in 2014!

Id be happy if him, Big Show and Ron Mysterious never appeared on my tv again.

Ok, that's my bashing over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

gimmick wrote: »
    And yet even during a lull in the product eh still gets lost in the shuffle and cannot do anything interesting. I wonder why :pac:

Just like The Shield, Cesaro and 90% of the roster for that matter who have been at nothing the last 7 weeks while HHH spends another hour trying to troll people as the product goes further down the shitter with levitating sheep masks & a 300lb former UFC Champion runs away from the sight of a weather beaten 50 year old with bad make up

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why did you post a gif of Chris Jericho throwing around a load of flour in a kitchen?

Ah but at least Ramsay has been entertaining the last 3 years remember Jeritroll that was good wasn`t it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Ah you know this was inevitable.. I don't think I actually like Bryan Danielson the person. He comes across as far too much of a crusty and quite dull in interviews.

Would love to see the reaction to Triple H beating him, but he deserves to win the title at Mania. Sick of the YES thing, he needs to sort out his hair/beard out the day after Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fr. Sensini

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Daniel Bryan will never be in the elite group of sports entertainers who have had sustained periods of success such as the Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker, HHH, or John Cena. He will always be regarded as a wrestler who had just flashes of success, similar to Eddie Guerrerro and Chris Benoit.

I would say Bryan has already gone past Guerrero & Benoit's level. How big he can get largely depends on how he's booked. This Triple H trolling stuff isn't a great sign as it shows they see him as someone mainly liked by smarks even though a lot of his fans are probably the same type of people who like Cena and couldn't care less who HHH buried 11 years ago. It's unfair to expect anyone to reach the Rock or Austins level while the likes of Cena, Taker & HHH were extremely well protected by their booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

gimmick wrote: »
    He didn't show in TNA that he could be a top guy. He did nothing whatsoever in TNA apart from being a former WWE superstar and one of the first "big" names to show up there. If he showed he could have been a top guy in TNA he would not have left to go back to being a mediocre midcarder in WWE at his very first oppurtunity.

What exactly made him a great WWECW champion? Stellar matches, length of reign? Not to mention he is a god awful face. Good heel I'll grant you that, but he was a far better heel when he had someone alongside him.

There is a reason he never got a sustained push and there is a reason why he garners silence coming through the curtain.

Yes there is a reason he never got a sustained push: politics.

Christian was so over in 2005 that when they went to do Raw in the UK (soon after Batista had won the title) they had to dub the crowd reaction of the Christian/Batista match because Christian was so over. This was when Batista was probably the most over he ever was in his career.

To suggest Christian always garnered silence is just false. Here's one example:

In 2005 Christian was hugely over, his merch was selling very well, crowd pops were great...it was Vince that put an end to all that. You can still sense how Vince dislikes him to this day with the stuff he feeds into JBL's ear about his appearance etc. on commentary.

Christian managed to build himself a great rivalry with John Cena that summer in '05 and had a very popular but all-too brief program with him. Rather than capitalize on that with a decent feud, they made a triple threat WWE Title match which I believe was at Vengeance. Following this he was drafted to Smackdown where they stuck him in the US Title picture. He left for TNA soon after.

It was Vince who never saw him as main event material and this was before the days of Punk and Brian when size and bulk DID matter in WWE.

He might not have been a star in TNA but then who is? When Jeff Hardy, one of the biggest stars in the industry showed up in TNA on their big Monday Night War deal they made him just another guy in a few minutes. Take any star and put them in TNA and they seem mediocre. Even Hogan.

I would agree that there is little going for him at the moment but why would there be? Even when he won the World Title he lost it soon after to Orton. Why should the majority of the audience care about him when the company doesn't?

In my view Christian could have been just as big a deal as Edge was but for one reason: Edge got the opportunities and Christian didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

People need to watch Christian's feud with Orton from 2011 before saying he's rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

I want Triple H to win both matches on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

I know it is an extremely unpopular opinion and I'm very open to being wrong but I think this daniel bryan thing is a fad that will flame out shortly after the belt is put on him. Now he's an excellent wrestler without doubt but I don't think the character and the way the fans see him can handle actually being successful for long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

People need to watch Christian's feud with Orton from 2011 before saying he's rubbish.

And every multi man match he is added to and how much better it is structurally for his inclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Christian is an awesome worker. The dude has made a very good living since 1998 and there is a reason for that.
    Not many guys can say the same. Sadly most have a cup of coffee. I'm sure if Christian retired tomorrow he would do so a rich man and thats the real measure of success.
    It doesnt matter what he is currently doing or it doesnt matter if he isn't a "main eventer" - Dude made money and was around for years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Christian is a fantastic wrestler that can't be argued against successfully!

He did have a peak as MNG mentioned but Gimmick was right about TNA and his return to WWE. He had a good run in the WHC scene before injuries took over. He was to borrow that horrible line from current storylines B+, could have been more in 2005 but thats long ago and when he came back to WWE wad never going to get to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yes there is a reason he never got a sustained push: politics.

In my view Christian could have been just as big a deal as Edge was but for one reason: Edge got the opportunities and Christian didn't.

Nah, Christian was good but Edge had much more rockstar like charisma, better on the mic as well, no shame in that though.

I thought Michael Cole and Tazz were a great commentary team.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

I'm actually looking forward to mania especially after seeing the very good video packages they have for the matches, even aj's promo video is great(still won't watch divas match)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I thought Michael Cole and Tazz were a great commentary team.

By the end though Taz had gone downhill fast. Much like in TNA now, he got too comfortable and stopped putting in the effort. He is good when he wants to be. Cole meanwhile is a very good commentator when he is allowed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Didn't I tell you all in here that Lesnar was the real deal? Didn't I? I did, didnt I?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anyone else not like Bryan? I find the Yes chants annoying, the guy has a typical mid 30s bloated midriff and also sports a weird beard. We know how talented he is but he's limited to the same sh1t everyweek in WWE.

The clown just goes Yes Yes Yes every time he gets on the mic, there's no depth to the character and his matches follow the same shallow pattern. I watched Mania with non wrestling fans and they couldn't get him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SeanJ09

Anyone else not like Bryan? I find the Yes chants annoying, the guy has a typical mid 30s bloated midriff and also sports a weird beard. We know how talented he is but he's limited to the same sh1t everyweek in WWE.

The clown just goes Yes Yes Yes every time he gets on the mic, there's no depth to the character and his matches follow the same shallow pattern. I watched Mania with non wrestling fans and they couldn't get him at all.

Will be interesting to see if he is still as over with the fans in a years time. He will have to develop his character from just shouting " Yes Yes" and being the perennial underdog and so on. It would appear WWE are set to go with him as the main man anyhow, what with HHH putting him over which he doesn't do lightly. I can't see him being involved in any particular interesting feuds apart from with HHH or a position of authority type figure. Bryan V Lesnar wouldn't work. For me Bryan isn't half as entertaining as Punk. I would say Bryan is just about the better in ring performer but Punk character and mic skills and in a different league. Punk is up there with Stone Cold on MIC IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Will be interesting to see if he is still as over with the fans in a years time. He will have to develop his character from just shouting " Yes Yes" and being the perennial underdog and so on. It would appear WWE are set to go with him as the main man anyhow, what with HHH putting him over which he doesn't do lightly. I can't see him being involved in any particular interesting feuds apart from with HHH or a position of authority type figure. Bryan V Lesnar wouldn't work. For me Bryan isn't half as entertaining as Punk. I would say Bryan is just about the better in ring performer but Punk character and mic skills and in a different league. Punk is up there with Stone Cold on MIC IMO.

However Bryan is infinitely more likeable than Punk, he's shown a willingness to give it his all in unconventional storylines and to veer into comedy but still be taken seriously as a main eventer. For me, the closest comparison you can make to Bryan is Kurt Angle during his time in WWE.

• Advertisement

However Bryan is infinitely more likeable than Punk, he's shown a willingness to give it his all in unconventional storylines and to veer into comedy but still be taken seriously as a main eventer. For me, the closest comparison you can make to Bryan is Kurt Angle during his time in WWE.

That's a very good post, Bryan appeals to a wider audience than Punk but I do feel he overuses the Yes stuff as well, people will turn on it in a few months if not careful. Still use it of course but not a million times every bloody promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The Bryan backlash has begun. The chap is ****ing class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Rjd2 wrote: »
    That's a very good post, Bryan appeals to a wider audience than Punk but I do feel he overuses the Yes stuff as well, people will turn on it in a few months if not careful. Still use it of course but not a million times every bloody promo.

That's true, personally I'm hoping that WWE pressed heavily on it in the last month or so because they wanted the visual of Bryan lifting the title at Wrestlemania with the massive crowd doing the "yes" gesture. It's still hot and I trust that a veteran like Bryan will be clever and creative enough to be more than the catchphrase. Again, like Angle, who had numerous catchphrases like the 3 i's or "it's true" or "you suck" they helped get him over and they were big parts of his act at various points but he was always bigger than the catchphrase. Like I said, I'm confident in Bryan, he's a company man, he seems to have the personality and drive to try different things and not grow stale and, because of his ring work, he will always have crowd support to know that whatever he tries it will be given time.

CSF wrote: »

I am a fan but I think he overuses the yes chant, not a backlash that, just minor criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

However Bryan is infinitely more likeable than Punk
    CSF wrote: »

I'm still a huge fan of the guy's work and am delighted to see him at the top but I think he's gotten quite smug the last while and like him less for it. I don't have a problem with the 'Yes' chants, just surprised that they've been taken to a whole new level two years after they started. He has a whole lot more going for him than just a catchphrase though.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SeanJ09

D-Bry will never be in the same league as Kurt Angle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

D-Bry will never be in the same league as Kurt Angle.

Don't see Bryan in TNA either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

If people were going to turn on the YES chant the it wouldn't have been growing bigger every week for the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

rovert wrote: »
    Don't see Bryan in TNA either.

Or, touch wood, in quite such frequent contact with the po-po.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's a tricky time for Bryan: I wrote before about it being interesting to see how people would react to him when he stops railing against 'the man' and becomes the face of 'the man'. WWE have fully embraced the 'Yes Movement' now and that's risky because they're going to bleed it dry until they've made every last penny from it.

The onus is on Bryan to evolve himself and stay relevant, while still helping WWE make money off the chants. It's a tricky tightrope and one many have fallen on before. As I wrote about before, and as JR observed on his latest podcast, you see whether guys are cut out for this when creative stop moving heaven and earth for them and give them a mediocre programme to focus on while they work on other things.

He's done that before when he's looked dead and buried, though, so I'd have faith in him to do so again. He could turn out to be more of a Shawn Michaels than a Kurt Angle yet, and the fact I heard him quoted by Cheap Heat podcast saying he was focused on becoming the new Mr WrestleMania tells me his head is there too. If he becomes a Rey Mysterio though, he only has himself to blame.

Advertisement