Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Jarrett wasn't going to get a main event spot as long as Austin was around. Although of course Austin was out for most of 2000 so maybe he could have but Triple H was the number 1 heel. Was never hot on Double J myself. Random fact: his da Jerry was pipped to run the WWF in the 90s had Vince been convicted of the steroid thing and sent to jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

beakerjoe wrote: »
    - Vince made a big mistake in letting Jeff Jarrett go in 99, could have been a use asset to the company in relation to being an agent back stage. Think he could have been big in WWE if used right

Another Jeff Jarrett fan? YES!! Ain't he great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Another Jeff Jarrett fan? YES!! Ain't he great!

Ah i always thought he had potential to be a big player in WWE esp when he cut his hair and went bad ass. Great on the mic, solid in ring and had a decent look when he reinvented himself in 98.

I will admit I dont know the whole truth behind his departure in 99 (heard a few conflicting storys) but I would have loved to see him get beyond the IC title in WWF/E

I will admit I dont know the whole truth behind his departure in 99 (heard a few conflicting storys) but I would have loved to see him get beyond the IC title in WWF/E

Yeah, definitely. His gimmick change in 99 was excellent. I was pissed at Austin black-balling him from getting higher in the card. And taking his valet as his wife. Russo knowingly delayed taking the IC belt off Jarrett until he was out of contract, Russo went to WCW, Jarrett worked the one-off PPV (No Mercy 99) to drop the belt for the sum of $200,000-$250,000. Jarrett then joined his mate Russo in WCW. Vince was real bitter over it and has black-balled him since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I didn't mind Candice Michelle when she was Women's champion back in 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

JJ will always be one of my favourites. His character just got better and better as the years went on. By the time he was The Chosen one in WCW he was on his A-game. Never failed to disappoint me and I always wished him and Vince weren't on bad terms as a JJ DVD with his WWF and WCW stuff with a documentary would be day one purchase for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

What's the craic with JJ and Austin?

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What's the craic with JJ and Austin?

He cut a promo in 1997 when he returned where among other "shoot" comments he said Austin should be ashamed for making money off of something from the Christian bible (3:16). Jarrett was buried for the next few months with dodgy gimmicks from "southern rassler" to his old Double J thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I think its bad form for Devitt (or anyone) to call a move "Bloody Sunday"

He cut a promo in 1997 when he returned where among other "shoot" comments he said Austin should be ashamed for making money off of something from the Christian bible (3:16). Jarrett was buried for the next few months with dodgy gimmicks from "southern rassler" to his old Double J thing.

Really? I heard that it stemmed back to the days when Austin and Jatrrett worked the territories/ independent scene. Austin had beef with Jarrett about how he hit the ropes or took bumps. When Jarrett returned to WWF in 97 the heat was still there and when time came for Austin to work with Jarrett in 98/99 he refused to work and give Jarrett the rub. The WWF wanted to use an Austin, Jarrett, Debra love triangle to elevate Jarrett but Austin refused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I think its bad form for Devitt (or anyone) to call a move "Bloody Sunday"

I think of this every time

Hopefully Adam roses finisher will be called Spice World....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

mxph3 wrote: »
    I didn't mind Candice Michelle when she was Women's champion back in 2007.

OR her music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

Should be Every Rose Has Its Thorn...

Cole: "Every Rose Has Its Thorn!! :eek:"
    Lawler: "Just like every night has its dawn. :("
    JBL: "Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song. :("

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Was just looking at the reports of David Benoit in the news thread.

Don't know whether it's unpopular but I think the reporting of him and his pursuit to become a wrestler to be painful to read.

The poor chap has been dealt a truly horrendous hand in life. Of course he has a link to his father and his father's legacy but don't mention the crimes that Chris conducted linking it to his son. He had SFA to do with that.

The whole Benoit incident and how it's dealt with is a bit of head scratcher to me. I don't know if you have all seen MVP's interview about it. I would share MVP's views. The mind is a mind field and the brain is so delicate.

Like so much in the media there is "good mental illness" and "bad/evil mental illness".

I think it is being needlessly harsh on him. It doesnt matter what his father did, that has nothing to do with Daniel. Why not judge Daniel on what he can do instead of deciding he should never be allowed wrestle because of what someone else did? Everybody deserves a chance.
    - Vince made a big mistake in letting Jeff Jarrett go in 99, could have been a use asset to the company in relation to being an agent back stage. Think he could have been big in WWE if used right

Dont think he would have been big due to Austin being a crybaby, but he would have been a very useful upper card guy. Funny how different wrestling could be had Jarrett remained a WWF employee.
    Jeff Hardy/Willow isn't that bad. His promos suck, but when it comes to wrestling he is still quite good. I just rather Jeff Hardy than Willow.

The only valid complaint I have seen about Willow is who is playing it. Had it been an unknown, everybody would love it. But it's Hardy so eventually he will drop the gimmick so it's hard to get behind it.

Do jobbers usually get finishers? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I've missed AJ a whole lot less than Punk.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've missed AJ a whole lot less than Punk.
    People miss a main event male wrestler more than a female wrestler? Shocking.

Angron wrote: »
    People miss a main event male wrestler more than a female wrestler? Shocking.

To read a lot of people on here I'd say it's a pretty unpopular view I expressed. It's not a shocking wrestling opinions thread. :D

I still miss Carlito too though. :)

I still miss Carlito too though. :)

It didn't help that he was so awesome at the HoF. I forgot that his relatives don't have 1/10th of his charisma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I never feel fully satisfied after watching ppv's anymore, sure some have awesome matches but always somewhat feel lacklustre....my two favourite paper views ever was Wrestlemania 17 and one night stand.... All though I do enjoy some immensely and mark out for certain matches,a lot of really good cards fall flat.... And can never live up to the above ppvs

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It didn't help that he was so awesome at the HoF. I forgot that his relatives don't have 1/10th of his charisma.

He could get a job in WWE if he wanted according to Powerslam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I don't miss Punk at all.

The business moves on. He gave us years of great moments and matches. Let him relax and enjoy his life in peace if that's what he wants to do.

I doubt we've seen the last of him but it could be a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

This is going to be controversial sorry but rob van dam is a rubbish wrestler

smilerf wrote: »
    This is going to be controversial sorry but rob van dam is a rubbish wrestler

I'll be surprised if that's controversial. He's been doing the same five moves for 15 years now. Shows up, hits his spots, goes home.

He could get a job in WWE if he wanted according to Powerslam

When he left it was because he turned down a stint in rehab right? Painkiller addiction? I always thought he was a terrific package but he seemed to polarise opinion.

When he left it was because he turned down a stint in rehab right? Painkiller addiction? I always thought he was a terrific package but he seemed to polarise opinion.

He had the tools but was seemingly lacking the attitude. The story always went that they wanted him to work harder. But he'd only work harder if they pushed him, but they would only push him if he worked harder. Endless cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

They let Flair go off on him once in what is actually one of Flair's best ever promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

They let Flair go off on him once in what is actually one of Flair's best ever promos.

Always thought that time in particular had some great midcarders who could have been something in Carlito, MVP, Mr. Kennedy..charastatic entertaining characters and wrestlers. All ended up hitting a brick wall in some shape or form. Was always a big Shelton Benjamin fan too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Dr.Evil wrote: »
    Always thought that time in particular had some great midcarders who could have been something in Carlito, MVP, Mr. Kennedy..charastatic entertaining characters and wrestlers. All ended up hitting a brick wall in some shape or form. Was always a big Shelton Benjamin fan too.

Did MVP really hit a brick wall, didn't he leave the WWE?

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    Did MVP really hit a brick wall, didn't he leave the WWE?

Didn't he leave because he felt he'd hit a brick wall though?

Advertisement