Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

He's going to come back better than ever and take over the Universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,236 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I thought Ryback was on the cusp there at one point then they stupidly turn him heel

He was a terrible face. He's only good as a non-serious character.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He's great as the Big Guy. Legit funny on commentary.

Unpopular Opinion: Paige isn't actually that hot at all. Just looks like some emo you'd see hanging around at the central bank in Dublin City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Omackeral wrote: »

Unpopular Opinion: Paige isn't actually that hot at all. Just looks like some emo you'd see hanging around at the central bank in Dublin City Centre.

atermSub210h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Yep he has only really developed “The Big Guy” persona in the last year or so. Seriously tweaked character since his Goldberg-like face run. He was interesting then because he was a fairly silent destroyer. His Heel run plundered at bit but he hadn’t come out of his shell like he has now.
    Hopefully his return is made a big deal and he is given something decent to do. I look forward to it.

I see your Paige and I give you my "nothing special kooky emo girl" AJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I became a fan of Ryback when Jerry Lawler made some joke on commentary about Ryback being dumb and not knowing which way to travel on an elevator (or something to that effect).

Being a great lad, Ryback responded on Twitter saying that if the Kat was on an elevator, he'd definitely be going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

CSF wrote: »

I don't know how you can say he was a terrible face he had a good repertoire of moves , Had the crowd massivley behind him , had a great catchphrase , had the look of a champion, and as someone else alluded to didn't say a lot just kicked alot of ass, Until he ran into Punk and the Shield that was...and then they turned him into a crybaby heel which tanked

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

CSF wrote: »

This. I couldn't stand his serious act. He is best as the wise cracking 'Big Guy'. When he is back I'd lke to see him just below the main event level. Maybe a run with the IC title.

I don't know how you can say he was a terrible face he had a good repertoire of moves , Had the crowd massivley behind him , had a great catchphrase , had the look of a champion, and as someone else alluded to didn't say a lot just kicked alot of ass, Until he ran into Punk and the Shield that was...and then they turned him into a crybaby heel which tanked

There's only so far you can go with a guy who is neither particularly good at wrestling or promos.

He doesn't have an obvious talent to speak of and he would have gotten old very fast. Personally, he frustrated the hell out of me as both a serious face and a serious heel. I remember not being nearly the only one up for Henry in their mania match.

The big guy gimmick works for him because he may still be able to gain the Heath Slater kind of popularity and still be an entertaining part of the show.

But there is and should be no room for him in the middle or top of the card as a solo wrestler. Not with the likes of the Shield guys, Lesnar, Cena, Orton, Bryan, Sheamus, Barrett, Cesaro, Batista, Wyatts on the roster. All guys with something to speak of, be it in-ring ability, promo skills or just plain drawing power. Not all of those have the full package and some are outright limited, but at least they have something to speak of.

And that's not even before we go into that other tier of guys between Ryback and those above (the likes of Ziggler, Swagger and Dallas)

This. I couldn't stand his serious act. He is best as the wise cracking 'Big Guy'. When he is back I'd lke to see him just below the main event level. Maybe a run with the IC title.

For me the IC picture should be guys with the potential to be main event quality who aren't there yet, and by and large it has been recently (Sheamus, Cesaro, Barrett, Ziggler) even Langston fit the profile at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Yep he has only really developed “The Big Guy” persona in the last year or so. Seriously tweaked character since his Goldberg-like face run. He was interesting then because he was a fairly silent destroyer. His Heel run plundered at bit but he hadn’t come out of his shell like he has now.
    Hopefully his return is made a big deal and he is given something decent to do. I look forward to it.

I see your Paige and I give you my "nothing special kooky emo girl" AJ.

I feel he would have been a better choice for reigns' current push. I liked his time as a silent ass kicker a lot as unpopular as that was with most of the internet. Wrestling needs more than one style of character and watching the small guys do some great technical wrestling all the time would bore me to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Ryback is a tough one. With his look, he'll have a job for as long as he manages to keep himself relevant, and it feels like he's on the cusp of something good with this new ironic arsehole gimmick and WWE showing signs of acknowledging this by doing stuff like putting him on commentary sometimes. In wrestling, I always call it 'unlocking' when a guy finds his personality in his character - the idea being that everyone has a great personality in them but the struggle is finding it. And there have been many, MANY guys who've had long tenures with WWE who've never been able to do this. So to unlock your best personality and start to translate it on camera is kind of a big deal.

Ryback seems on the cusp of this as of late. Sometimes the best thing for guys is when they fall so low that they stop giving a **** and let their real personality shine through without even realising - CM Punk is the best example of this in recent years, Steve Austin being another. I'm not saying he could nearly be as big as either of the above, but there's a big 'Watch this space' over him for me. People want to see more of him doing this stuff. That's more than can be said for a lot of the guys they have. Of course Zack Ryder is another example I could've given above, so it's not always a guaranteed winner either.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

Potentially unpopular opinion.. just watched AAA Triplemania and iI honestly feel it was the worst show Ive ever seen. I don't know maybe I just dont get Lucha libre

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Don't know if it's unpopular but I hate extreme hardcore wrestling. I hate death matches, I hate barbed wire in wrestling, lightbulbs, extreme bumps from heights that could kill you and any promotion that base themselves on death match wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Don't know if it's unpopular but I hate extreme hardcore wrestling. I hate death matches, I hate barbed wire in wrestling, lightbulbs, extreme bumps from heights that could kill you and any promotion that base themselves on death match wrestling.

It's garbage, at least ECW balanced it with decent matches and non hardcore stuff too but those videos you see of 30 rednecks watching two guys hit each other with lightubes in a field someplace are just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,011 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

krudler wrote: »
    It's garbage, at least ECW balanced it with decent matches and non hardcore stuff too but those videos you see of 30 rednecks watching two guys hit each other with lightubes in a field someplace are just stupid.

That crap isn't wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I quite enjoy death matches and ultra violent matches, czw along with roh help revitalise my passion for the industry when the wrestling channel was introduced..... First time I seen sick nick mondo I wa shocked, his stunt with the weed whacker and the spot with zandig at the top of the building was absolutely mind blowing.

Now obviously I couldn't watch it every match but abyss v sabu rivalry in tna, to me , had some must see matches, just they kept taking it up a level.

Foley v Edge at Mania 22 was the best match on the card , that type of wrestling does have it's place, but it can be tedious I suppose watching a whole card of it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sirsok wrote: »
    I quite enjoy death matches and ultra violent matches, czw along with roh help revitalise my passion for the industry when the wrestling channel was introduced..... First time I seen sick nick mondo I wa shocked, his stunt with the weed whacker and the spot with zandig at the top of the building was absolutely mind blowing

Just seen both of these. Fûcking idiots. That's some of the most stupid stuff I've ever seen. That jump off the roof could have killed both guys. Don't get me started on the weed whacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    #Don't get me started on the weed whacker.

I haven't seen the incident in question but it may not have been as stupid as it seemed, remember Moxley and the saw (I'd link the interview but it seems to have disappeared).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I haven't seen the incident in question but it may not have been as stupid as it seemed, remember Moxley and the saw (I'd link the interview but it seems to have disappeared).

Why did I search that out??? That is sickening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Jesus. That sick mondo stuff is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I watched an interview Ambrose did in regards that incident, it's actually pretty genius the way they did it and how it was perceived as a big thing when in reality it was just great selling.

The weed whacker thing I must admit is ridiculous, if I recall they poured salt all over mondos wounds in a light tube match, I just recall being totally enamoured by it at the age I was due to being so accustomed to a particular style of wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

I miss Jillian
    She was great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Sirsok wrote: »
    I watched an interview Ambrose did in regards that incident, it's actually pretty genius the way they did it and how it was perceived as a big thing when in reality it was just great selling.

That was entirely my point, to paraphrase the interview: "If you think I took a real saw to the head and I'm sitting here telling you about it, then you're f***ing stupid." Apparently the thing was completely harmless and just moved some blood around his forehead, was probably the safest thing in the match.

Whether or not the weed whacker was as fake though, who knows, I haven't seen it. Not really a fan of deathmatch wrestling myself, only know about that incident because I'm big fan of Moxley/Ambrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There's definitely a place for hardcore wrestling. I find that a lot of the time, though, people substitute actual ability or brains with a willingness to destroy their own bodies through stupid stunts that aren't worth what they're paid to perform them. That stuff I've no time for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

smilerf wrote: »
    I miss Jillian
    She was great craic
    That Jillian Hall? I just found her annoying myself, but then she never really got much to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Jillian Hall was quite good in the ring, she was much better than most divas at the time like Kelly Kelly, Ashley, Maria. She was held back by a gimmick that you could not take her serious.

I could easily argue that Sheamus’ “look” is one of the best in the last decade of WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

He actually punctured a minor artery in his back and wrestled a match after. Nic could probably have died, also, they didn't have any proper doctors there either, just someone who knew basic first aid.

It's a shame in some ways, there's a Nic Mondo doc and he actually comes across as extremely likeable and talented, he could have been a Jeff Hardy type if he had made better decisions. Glad he quit before he got permanently injured though.

It's worth checking out the doc, it's on youtube.

• Advertisement

I’d imagine some of the headers in the indie wouldn’t seek out medical help which is ludicrous. My guess is the mentality is wouldn’t be very hardcore of them. You could maybe understand madness like the above if you were getting paid thousands but these guys are doing it in front of a hundred odd people (no pun intented) for next to nothing.

Advertisement