Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I’d imagine some of the headers in the indie wouldn’t seek out medical help which is ludicrous. My guess is the mentality is wouldn’t be very hardcore of them. You could maybe understand madness like the above if you were getting paid thousands but these guys are doing it in front of a hundred odd people (no pun intented) for next to nothing.

I remember Ambrose tried to start a fued to get noticed with Mick Foley in wwe while he was still in developmental. It was based on the fact that foley pushed the boundaries so much tht Indy guys had to resort to all types of stuff to get noticed. The levels of extremes kept getting bigger due to Foley pushing the envelope. Good concept that does have a basis in reality.

A spot can get you booked. Foleys elbow on the concrete helped get him noticed in WCW. So if you are not technically astute you won't get booked, look at Necro Butcher he had some solid booking with ROH and even in the wrestler because he was known as a nutcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I remember that promo, he confronted Foley in a hotel lobby or something one Wrestlemania weekend. Nice promo too

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

A couple of current bugbears of mine:

1) Roman Reign's Superman Punch. Looks terrible in execution, stupid sounding title. I hate punch moves in general, Big Show's KO punch was another that irked me. Just lazy.

2) Paige's "passionate" scream on the apron. Why does she smile happily/blandly afterwards? Is she supposed to be intense or not? I suppose if she is being booked as an emo kid it all makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Here's a link to the Nic Mondo documentary by the way, it's surprisingly interesting and not in a prurient sense, I genuinely think he could have been a star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDWwtqy7ik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Sirsok wrote: »
    I remember Ambrose tried to start a fued to get noticed with Mick Foley in wwe while he was still in developmental. It was based on the fact that foley pushed the boundaries so much tht Indy guys had to resort to all types of stuff to get noticed. The levels of extremes kept getting bigger due to Foley pushing the envelope. Good concept that does have a basis in reality.

It's the legacy of that style that saw the angle killed. Foley spoke of his doctor, as the angle was getting started, categorically stating that he had already had his last match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It's the legacy of that style that saw the angle killed. Foley spoke of his doctor, as the angle was getting started, categorically stating that he had already had his last match.

But without that legacy would Foley of gotten over? He was brought into WCW the second time to give Sting a bit more edge, his ECW run was based on him killing himself for the fans and hating them for it.in WWE his style helped solidify shawn michaels, HHH , Ortonand the rock as legit tough guys. Mick style
    Was instrumental in gettin himself and others over! So to me "garbage " can play an integral part in the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Here's a link to the Nic Mondo documentary by the way, it's surprisingly interesting and not in a prurient sense, I genuinely think he could have been a star.

He's the spitting image of Dennis from always sunny in philadelphia

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I remember that promo, he confronted Foley in a hotel lobby or something one Wrestlemania weekend. Nice promo too

One of my all time favourites :)

He's the spitting image of Dennis from always sunny in philadelphia

That's the implication.

One of my all time favourites :)

Thought it was nice when Foley finally admitted he couldn't work with him due to health, not to him being annoyed about the tweets Dean made re his family. It was a really organic angle, shame nothing ever came of it, then The Shield turned out ok I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

saw it a month thought it was very good although some of the pranks he did as a kid were dickish like putting stuff in front of an oncoming train and driving through raked up leafs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The coloured piping on Roman Reigns ring gear makes him look like a pansy

The coloured piping on Roman Reigns ring gear makes him look like a pansy

Are you sure you're not Eoghan from Fair City?

eoghanfaircity_zpsdad0df09.jpg?t=1410480261

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Are you sure you're not Eoghan from Fair City?

Who dat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭HeathenWolf

CM Punk was overrated even before his promo on the Raw before MITB 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

CM Punk was overrated even before his promo on the Raw before MITB 2011.

3101049-troll_alert.gif

I'm being serious. I always thought he was kinda overrated. But then again, the fanbase he had before doing that worked shoot weren't mostly bandwagoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

That's the implication.

4696565+_bdf2bd2acb01913db1eeaa0f07eb2205.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

It's a shame it wasn't the undertaker and Nathan Jones vs big show and A-train with Jones getting the win.

Edit: actually Wm 19 Jones comes in and kicks A-train should have been a Dq. The streak was over at 10 and 1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I don't think Punk was overrated but he was a little too self aware for my liking. All this pipebomb crap like.

If you compare him to Stone Cold, he never had to stop mid promo to say "oh look at how witty and rebellious I am." Stone Cold didn't seem to give a fcuk quite simply, that's why he came across so authentic in his actions.

• Advertisement

I don't think Punk was overrated but he was a little too self aware for my liking. All this pipebomb crap like.

If you compare him to Stone Cold, he never had to stop mid promo to say "oh look at how witty and rebellious I am." Stone Cold didn't seem to give a fcuk quite simply, that's why he came across so authentic in his actions.

That's what was so annoying about him. You could always tell that his 'rebellious' attitude was forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

In the ring and when he was bothered, Punk was great. On the mic when he was good, he was very good but all too often he simply wasn't bothered with that either and could be pretty bad.

I don't think it's a coincidence either that his best work came when he had something to prove. Once he made it to the top, his work took a serious hit.

His run as champ was fairly appalling in retrospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Heel turn gave it a slight upcurve but their plans for rhat Wrestlemania put a ceiling on how good it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

great matches with bryan, cena, jericho. memorable heel turn which transitioned into a fantastic double act between himself and heyman.

would love more of those appalling runs. we have had how many world title reigns in tna and wwe since punk dropped the belt at the 2013 rumble and none of them have come close to punks.

I'm a fan and it was cool he held the belt for so long, but given the length of the title reign, the matches weren't all that memorable for the most part. Bryan match was great, I found the Jericho feud underwhelming but liked their street fight.

Heel turn was forced and he never got over again as a heel as crowd wanted to cheer him, all the Ryback stuff....

Not a criticism of him as a performer, more of the booking really. It could have been a legendary title reign in both quality and length, I don't think it got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I don't remember hearing complaints at the time (other than people being pissed when The Rock beat him), though that doesn't invalidate hindsight grievances either. I can't help but feel that people are ready to be low on CM Punk though.

For me, his reign was a fantastic success. Him and Heyman were absolute heat magnets and single-handedly propped up the WWE during a particularly difficult time (taking into account September-December is typically difficult anyway) with very little top level talent to work with.

I've said it before, but as a man I think I'd hate CM Punk in real life. That whiny, negative, "I'm going to moan about how everything else is **** until I get what I want" personality drains me. I much prefer people who go out and just succeed on their own strengths without being insecure enough to feel the need to feed off other's weaknesses - incidentally I also thought Triple H owned him in a post-Pipe Bomb promo when he pointed all of this out. He was dead right in basically saying, "Okay you've got your spotlight, do something with it pal." Thank god his attitude didn't become a trend or I think the 'Pipe Bomb' promo would've seriously influenced WWE negatively in the long run. That kind of negativity is like a cancer to environments like WWE.

Having said that, as a performer he's undeniably fantastic at what he does. And I'm going to go one further and say that adding WWE training to his repertoire made him 1,000 times better too, as an indy wrestler he was interesting but frustratingly inconsistent for me. With his naturally creative mind and obviously some solid advice and training gleamed from veterans in WWE, he became the complete package and one of the best in-ring and out-of-ring storytellers they had. He gave the main event a must-see element when needed there and gave the upper-midcard some much-needed depth when he was rowed back somewhat. It's a shame things went the way they did but I have no doubt he'll be back in some form in the future with a renewed vigour for wrestling. You just don't get to walk away full-time if you can physically compete, the itch will come back. I just see it being a few years before it happens. Hopefully he hasn't missed his peak by that stage (imagine if Jericho had walked out of WWE in 2001 and came back sparingly as he does now, for example, and we'd missed all those years in between).

I agree nearly 100% with your post, great stuff, well written. I've my doubts as to whether he will be back but hopefully once things cool off and a money offer is made he makes a couple of appearances. It would be a shame to see him white-washed and never get the HoF treatment etc...

I wanted Barry Horowitz to go on a winning streak as kid during his wwf run & have him win the IC title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eass82

I really dont get the fuss about the Undertakers overall career....

I mean, he was huge when I was a kid and he was putting people in body bags after matches it scared the crap outta me - as he was and his move set back then was all good. He had one of the most eerie and appropriate managers ever too.

But all the reinventions - other wrestlers, ok, but UT did not need such stark reinvention. The whole American badass thing made me wana puke.

If he has stayed closer to his original self and retained the 'fear factor' that could be maintained in a pre-twitter era he could have been amongst best of all time.

But it made me genuinely happy when the streak was broken to bury the myth of the Undertaker, mk 12 or whatever version we were on.

Advertisement