Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSD Play,Train,Exercise

• 17-06-2012 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I've a 2 and a half year old GSD. He's one of the ones that's anxious when you're not around, barks, digs and generally acts the nut.

Time is not a problem, but I have a deteriorating back problem at the moment and can't walk him very well.

I have trained him to bikejore and do that when possible, but not enough.

He has another dog he plays with and we have a generous garden.

Can you suggest games I can play and how to teach them to him without too much physical effort from me.

He would chase a ball all day, and I would gladly throw it all day, but Fetch is not a game he seems to get. He never brings it back, even when I offer treats etc.

Any suggestions welcome, he gets enough exercise as he runs around all day with my other dog. I walk him when I can and he's good on the lead but I can't walk fast enough for him.

He's bored at times I suppose, but placid all the same, he'll sit at my feet in the evenings.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

shuridunno wrote: »
    He would chase a ball all day, and I would gladly throw it all day, but Fetch is not a game he seems to get. He never brings it back, even when I offer treats etc.

Have you tried using two balls... keep one for yourself at all times, and if he won;t give up his ball for the second one, start playing with your one to yourself as if it's the most interesting thing in the whole world. As soon as he drops his one (assuming he does!), then chuck your ball for him. Pick up his original ball when he's gone. Do you use the ball-launchers at all? They can often act as a great cue that you're about to throw your ball, encouraging dogs like him to give up his one!
    Is he an indoor or outdoor dog? Have you considered using a DAP collar (if outdoor) or DAP diffuser (if indoor)? Actually, it's not called DAP any more, the name has changed to ADAPTIL. It may just help him chill out a bit.
    Also suggest using the various food-filled Kong Toys to keep him occupied: you could feed him his meals out of these instead of out of a bowl, to stretch out those mealtimes and keep him busy. Look up some different toys and recipes for filling them at www.kongcompany.com
    Also, hide food around the garden for him to hunt for.
    I've little doubt there'll be others along to suggest other interesting ways of keeping a dog occupied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

I exercise a neighbours dog along with mine and have the ball return problem but two balls solves it easily enough although I do have to go and pick the dropped ball up myself and find a ball thrower saves bending down to much. You'll find ball throwers in the pound shop and you might need to get a couple of different ones to get a good one as some break easily - might save your back a bit.

balllauncher.jpg

Advertisement