Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nappies

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

After 17 months of motherhood I'm no longer bothered by a bit of poo on my hands. I've had poo on different parts of me so many times I barely notice anymore!

For me the one consideration on the reusable nappies would have to be drying them. I work fulltime so we really only get to hang clothes outside at the weekend and that's dependent on the weather. We got a tumble dryer this year which I felt very conflicted about but has been a godsend at times. I really wouldn't want to have it turned on every second night to dry nappies.

I think in theory they're a great idea and is really want to get them for no.2 but we'd have to think properly about the practicalities of drying them during the week. We have a small apartment so we don't want clothes hanging around and we've also got problems with damp so drying clothes indoors isn't a good a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

PBroderick wrote: »
    dublinlady wrote: »
    I would never use cloth nappies personally - I think it is vile. My opinion only obvs! I think it is unnecessary and not of any benefit hugely to the environment. I think I like the efficiency and ease of use of disposables - I also don't want to touch poo when it's totally unnecessary.
    No one will ever convince be that washing and drying nappies is easier than throwing them in the bin.
    I personally feel some ppl need to be martyrs as mothers - I would rather keep life easy and simple.
    I think each to their own regardless of the reasons - its just really not for me!

What a load of drivel that was....martyrs and poo on your hands

What are you talking about ffs?

I'm not a mum but have experience with children and to be honest I agree with dublinlady. For many people trying to dry cotyon nappies can be difficult and time comsuming. Do you currently use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I would never use cloth nappies personally - I think it is vile. My opinion only obvs! I think it is unnecessary and not of any benefit hugely to the environment. I think I like the efficiency and ease of use of disposables - I also don't want to touch poo when it's totally unnecessary.
    No one will ever convince be that washing and drying nappies is easier than throwing them in the bin.
    I personally feel some ppl need to be martyrs as mothers - I would rather keep life easy and simple.
    I think each to their own regardless of the reasons - its just really not for me!

What a load of drivel that was....martyrs and poo on your hands

What are you talking about ffs?

I'm talking about martyrs and poo clearly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭PBroderick

I have used both disposable nappies and resuable nappies and I haven't an idea what you're talking about.

And to claim some mothers are "martyrs" to justify your own ignorant stance on this is shameful.

Your "each to their own" comment at the end, after slating the practice as "vile" is laughable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

comparing the modern cloth nappies (fuzzibunz, bumgenius are what I use) to the old terry towel cloth nappies is comparing apples and oranges.. a completely different animal to the ordeals that our parents would have endured back in the day
    I use FB and BG at home, and a disposable when out and about
    I have 28 one-size nappies, so they will go from newborn to potty, and only have one extra load a week, they dry in no-time atall, overnight hanging on a clothes horse and there's not really any extra work
    I find them convenient and very kind to baby sensitive skin

as for the comment about poo on your hand.. I find I get more baby poo on my person when using disposables as I find the poo seems to skim off the nappy and go straight up baby's back...the explosive nappies that have poo up to the baby's shoulder... very hard to deal with a wriggling baby covered in poo and NOT get any on your hand!! :D

• Advertisement

I have used both disposable nappies and resuable nappies and I haven't an idea what you're talking about.

And to claim some mothers are "martyrs" to justify your own ignorant stance on this is shameful.

Your "each to their own" comment at the end, after slating the practice as "vile" is laughable too.

That's your opinion which I respect as I wish you would mine! That's the point of a conversation! You can't claim I'm ignorant on the matter as you have no clue of my experience , regardless I still stand by and maintain my stance - I never said you have to agree!

aviendha wrote: »
    comparing the modern cloth nappies (fuzzibunz, bumgenius are what I use) to the old terry towel cloth nappies is comparing apples and oranges.. a completely different animal to the ordeals that our parents would have endured back in the day
    I use FB and BG at home, and a disposable when out and about
    I have 28 one-size nappies, so they will go from newborn to potty, and only have one extra load a week, they dry in no-time atall, overnight hanging on a clothes horse and there's not really any extra work
    I find them convenient and very kind to baby sensitive skin

as for the comment about poo on your hand.. I find I get more baby poo on my person when using disposables as I find the poo seems to skim off the nappy and go straight up baby's back...the explosive nappies that have poo up to the baby's shoulder... very hard to deal with a wriggling baby covered in poo and NOT get any on your hand!! :D

And yes - I agree as a mother it's impossible not to get some poo on your hands!! :)
    Just for me - washing it isnt for me! That's all!

And yes - I agree as a mother it's impossible not to get some poo on your hands!! :)

That's not all. You said it was "vile", that mothers who use them are "martyrs" and that you end up with poo on your hands using them.

Why don't you defend these statements you made then, instead of being a coward.

That's not all. You said it was "vile", that mothers who use them are "martyrs" and that you end up with poo on your hands using them.

Why don't you defend these statements you made then, instead of being a coward.

Wow...

So I said I think it's vile - my opinion - I don't need to defend that I already have..

You have to wash poo... In my opinion women who feel the need to do this rather than use disposables for no reason other than to validate themselves as mothers are martyrs - this has been my experience - which I've already stated you have no insight to and so no right to take such offense to! I, like you am entitled to my opinion - I think it's vile to wash poo and so won't - you don't - that's grand - off you go!

Some women like to use reusables as they really do believe that it's better for the environment - I don't - but that's up to them - as I said - each to their own!
    I dont think you can be irritated by the fact that I don't insist my opinions are the only answer... I certainly don't - thus they are my opinions... Which is why wish u would agree your opinion is just that... You have no right to slight mine... Your not right... It's your opinion...

Wow...

So I said I think it's vile - my opinion - I don't need to defend that I already have..

You have to wash poo... In my opinion women who feel the need to do this rather than use disposables for no reason other than to validate themselves as mothers are martyrs - this has been my experience - which I've already stated you have no insight to and so no right to take such offense to! I, like you am entitled to my opinion - I think it's vile to wash poo and so won't - you don't - that's grand - off you go!

Some women like to use reusables as they really do believe that it's better for the environment - I don't - but that's up to them - as I said - each to their own!
    I dont think you can be irritated by the fact that I don't insist my opinions are the only answer... I certainly don't - thus they are my opinions... Which is why wish u would agree your opinion is just that... You have no right to slight mine... Your not right... It's your opinion...

First up, you are insulting parents who use reusable nappies, as you think that their concern for the environment is to draw attention to themselves as martyrs. You fail to realise that the environment we create is where our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren will live. You do realise that 1/3 of landfill is nappies, which do not biodegrade completely for 500 years.

You then insult me for saying I have no experience in this matter, despite the fact my son has used reusable nappies since birth, which is over a year's experience. You, on the other hand, have never used them and have neither experience nor knowledge.

Believe me this - I have every right to slight your opinion because it is ignorant, it is ill-informed and if I thought for one second a first-time parent would choose not to use reusable nappies based on your incoherent, dumbfounded opinions, I would have failed my own child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Holy poo on a stick PBroderick... You've called dublinlady ignorant, shameful and a coward over being a bit quesy around excrement. It is in our nature to be repulsed by our waste products. Nothing weird there. Some people get past the inbuilt disgust for their principles, and others think that's a waste of time.

Both valid.

Want to back off a tiny bit?

Ps, betcha pbroderick is a bloke and the wifey does the washing! ;)

pwurple wrote: »
    Holy poo on a stick PBroderick... You've called dublinlady ignorant, shameful and a coward over being a bit quesy around excrement. It is in our nature to be repulsed by our waste products. Nothing weird there. Some people get past the inbuilt disgust for their principles, and others think that's a waste of time.

Both valid.

Want to back off a tiny bit?

Not really, no.

Her facts are totally wrong and saying "that's just my opinion" is not a get-out clause...her opinions are factually wrong.

(And that is leaving out the fact that she cannot bear her own child's "vile" poo, god help them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What a load of drivel that was
    your own ignorant stance on this is shameful.
    instead of being a coward.

Keep a civil tone or stop posting. Next personal attack will not end well.

[edit]obvious sitewide troll is obvious. Banned from Parenting.

Wow...

First up, you are insulting parents who use reusable nappies, as you think that their concern for the environment is to draw attention to themselves as martyrs. You fail to realise that the environment we create is where our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren will live. You do realise that 1/3 of landfill is nappies, which do not biodegrade completely for 500 years.

You then insult me for saying I have no experience in this matter, despite the fact my son has used reusable nappies since birth, which is over a year's experience. You, on the other hand, have never used them and have neither experience nor knowledge.

Believe me this - I have every right to slight your opinion because it is ignorant, it is ill-informed and if I thought for one second a first-time parent would choose not to use reusable nappies based on your incoherent, dumbfounded opinions, I would have failed my own child.

Hmmm

Where did i say u have no experience with disposable nappies?

Where did I say I have no experience with disposable nappies??! I said I don't personally use them... That does not insinuate that I have no experience with them!

Yes yes landfill sites blah blah... If you have being paying any attention to the previous posts you will see that there is clear valid debate over the environmental benefits of both methods! I never claimed to prove either side! I stated that there is inefficient evidence for me to decide that it's beneficial to use reusables!

If other peoples opinions on whether or not they use reusable nappies reflect on whether or not you have failed your own child or not then god bless ya.. A little extreme no??!

Oh and I find it funny you dislike my dislike of touching poo so much...

I don't want to argue - I respect people's views to use reusables hugely - I respect their opinion of my using of disposables as wasteful. I reiterate - I would find dealing with reusables vile - I don't think other people do - clearly - and good for them! I'm me... And you should not take such offense to my opinion. It is just that... As your comments are purely your opinion... No better than mine..

P.s just as a side... I love my own gorgeous babas vile poo.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I dont know why this is getting so heated, live and let live I suppose. I dont really like being called a martyr though, thats not the reason anybody I know using reusable nappies actually use them. In fact evryone I know who use them find them better than disposable on many aspects, and very little inconvenience. And we dont go about bragging the fact that we use them, although people will soon notice the unusual size of my child's backside :p hopefully wont scar him permanently!

Must defo research the environment impacts, because I honnestly cant imagine that my 3 small load of washing chemical free in an A-rated machine can be as bad as disposables in landfil, but will look it up, since its been my motivation all along (and money just as much of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I did try reusables when my daughter was born. I had experience of using them previously when I worked in childcare & thought the concept was genius - saved money & simple to use.

That was until I had a little girl that had the most ferocious explosive nappies that no reusable nappy could contain.
    We're talking ankle to neck coverage :eek:

It wasn't just the dirty nappies, when she wet her nappy almost every second nappy leaked.
    The amount of washing each day for one tiny person was incredible! As when she wet herself, it was a nappy, liner, vest, babygro & sheet that got wet. Not fun.

I may still have been saving money (though doubt this as the dryer and/or heating was on a lot more than previous), it sapped a lot more of my time laundering clothes.
    If I put a reusable at night, she was guaranteed to wake at night even if she didn't leak, because the absorbency wasn't good & her skin would be damp, thus wake her.

Maybe my daughter just urinated a freakish amount compared to other babies, but it just didn't work for me.

I tried two types of nappy, pocket fold one's with a removable liner & other wool ones that were awkward to tie & came with overshorts which made baby look like a stuffed turkey wearing them :D

I wouldn't knock them altogether, they definitely have their benefits. Not for me though!
    Money is certainly not something in abundance in this house, but I'd sooner forgo any luxuries than the €10 I spend a week on nappies/wipes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

I had leaks when my boy was a newborn, I think the one-size Bumgenius I have were too big for him, and I didn't know how to use them properly!

Bumgenius come with the regular insert and then an additional one for extra absorbancy, I hadn't realised that for newborns you are supposed to use them both. Plus, if you buy them new it does take a good few washes to build up the absorbancy.

Since he was around six months and started on solids no leaks at all.

As I said already, the ones we have are microfibre liners, so they dry really quickly. Overnight in the house, or a few hours on the line or beside a radiator.

€10 a week isn't much, but for us that's almost a month's rent over the year.

I'm no "martyr", I'm just skint. And whatever about the environmental benefits, I do think the amount of nappies that does into the landfill is unnecessary.

On a side note, my brother is an organic gardener and has given out to me for years for everything.... using bleach in the toilet, using aerosol sprays, using antibacterial soap, using perfume.....

But he has just had a baby and is using pampers! He can't deal with the yuck factor.

P.S I never have poo on my hands... what do you think we do, scrape them with our fingers or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there,

My baby is gonna be born this week (hopefully!). Can anyone recommend some re-usable nappies, with inserts or whatever... or biodegradables even. Price is a big issue but prepared to spend to get a set. What are you using Iguana? Anyone else?

No matter what, I can't get my head around 500 yrs in landfill...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Mine are easy peasy nappies, i think their site is easypeasynappies.co.uk, but got my set from lizziesrealnappies.co.uk for a bit less than £200 I think. 16 nappies, in first couple weeks I was washing every second day, but when baby is a bit older twice a week does it, but you can always buy extra nappies. Came with inserts, only needed them when baby was few months old, liners, nappy bin and wraps. Never had any leak, the liners are just flushed in toilet. Had to buy the next size wraps then for about 15€ each. Used with my first until she was 18mths because now using them for my second, but would have done her until potty, so it was well worth the investment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

We got fuzzibunz (on the advice of a few friends who've used them with their babies). Haven't had a chance to use them with baby yet (not due until September) but they dried overnight on a clothes horse without the heating on... so that sold me on them.

Bought them from HipBaby. We also considered Little Comforts (Bamboo), very cute and very soft, but took two days to dry on the clothes horse, and we don't want to end up having to use the dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Juts thought I'd bump this up. We're now using Fuzzibunz nappies and are delighted with them. I'm the furthest thing from an earth mother but the number of nappies we were throwing out was just unreal. We've had a couple of leaks and the washing is trial and error, but we're sticking with them, unless we really have to use the disposables (eg overnight visits etc). We don't have a drier but they dry overnight on a clothes horse in our spare room, where I dry most clothes as with Irish weather unless the day is nice its not worth putting clothes outside. I think they are well worth considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

We're going to use Fuzzibunz too, but we decided that we didn't want to risk losing any of them in the hospital during the first few days so we'd have to use disposables there.

After doing quite a bit of research we settled on Beaming Baby biodegradable nappies. They're not 100% biodegradable but, with 65% of the nappy biodegrading in 4 years instead of 400, they're much better for the environment than standard disposables.

And they get excellent reviews for performance, comfort for baby etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

pardon my near total ignorance about disposable nappy design but is there any device (bar the kitchen oven!) that can evaporate the water content from disposable nappies before they go into the bin (a chipped by-weight one) as most of the nappies we're disposing of are just full of wee so we're essentially paying the grey bin's weight cost just to dump water!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement