Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Breakfast in Dublin City Centre?

Options
  • 17-06-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I searched but the most recent thread I could find was from 2010, so whats the best fry-up place in Dublin these days? Got to drive up for a job on the quays at 6am tomorrow and I'm going to be starving afterwards, no hotlamps or microwaves, just a proper fresh fry. Thanks.

300px-Full_English_Breakfast.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

my personal favourite is still cafe sofia on wexford street - prob mentioned that on the thread in 2010 you refer to!

Its 6 or 6.50e i think for a big tasty plate of food - if you dont want something and want something extra instead of it you simply tell him/her.

You will prob get a second pot of tea on the house and maybe some biscuits too, plus if you want to sit around afterwards, read the papers etc you will be made to feel most welcome and may even get offered more tea on the house

Viola on baggot street is very tasty also - more upmarket, more expensive, prob less food - but good all the same

I havent tried anywhere else in recent years at all other than these two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

i'd suppose it all depends on what part of the quays your going, there are alot of good places up and down them. if its near eden quay i would go to fuscirads molbourgh st.
    it been there years and the grub is good.
    http://www.locationary.com/place/en/IE/Dublin/Dublin/Fusciardi's_Cafe-p1022041982.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Cinnamon cafe between Smitfield Square and Quays is lovely. Great fry, very friendly, also do bagels and everything else you may want. Opens 7am I get a take away coffee there most mornings on way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Probably too late for your now but Lovin Spoon on North Frederick Street is the best imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

cosmic wrote: »
    Probably too late for your now but Lovin Spoon on North Frederick Street is the best imo :)

It's a really nice breakfast but what put me off was the awful margarine style product they give you for the toast, couldn't eat it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A very good breakfast was had in Cafe Sofia on Wexford Street, the Student breakfast comes with a small pile of chips and tea and toast for 6 Euro, great value and a huge breakfast, will be back. Thanks everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Thargor wrote: »
    Hi, I searched but the most recent thread I could find was from 2010, so whats the best fry-up place in Dublin these days? Got to drive up for a job on the quays at 6am tomorrow and I'm going to be starving afterwards, no hotlamps or microwaves, just a proper fresh fry. Thanks.

300px-Full_English_Breakfast.JPG

no fried egg?

beans? mushrooms? hash browns? what's all this foreign stuff?

and the link on your image is called full English breakfast?

Well Ive worked in 3 hotels in Galway in my life and they all served a full Irish like that, and the choice was always scrambled, poached or fried eggs. Also I asked for a fry-up, not a full Irish, if a full Irish doesn't include those things then it looks like Ill be ordering a full English from now on!

Nationalism doesn't really affect my menu choices too much anyway, I love pizza/pasta/cheeseburgers etc too much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Noshington on South circular road has the best breakfast ever put on a plate...

Well Ive worked in 3 hotels in Galway in my life and they all served a full Irish like that, and the choice was always scrambled, poached or fried eggs. Also I asked for a fry-up, not a full Irish, if a full Irish doesn't include those things then it looks like Ill be ordering a full English from now on!

Nationalism doesn't really affect my menu choices too much anyway, I love pizza/pasta/cheeseburgers etc too much :D

on a more serious note I'm finding it harder and harder to find a well made breakfast irish or otherwise.

This sofia place on wexford st sounds good must give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

the Kingfisher on Parnell St does a fair breakfast as well..hangover cure of choice!

puffishoes wrote: »
    on a more serious note I'm finding it harder and harder to find a well made breakfast irish or otherwise.

This sofia place on wexford st sounds good must give it a try.
    I dont think they have hash browns, maybe if you ask, I got chips instead with my student breakfast anyway. Definitely a chronic shortage of good breakfasts alright, Im in Bray during the week these days and there's nothing, microwaves and hotlamps everywhere.

Catxscotch wrote: »
    the Kingfisher on Parnell St does a fair breakfast as well..hangover cure of choice!

When was the last time you were there?

I never managed to try it but I read some complaints can't remember if it was boards or another forum that it has gone down hill recently.

I stayed in a lot of B&B's around the country at the start of the month and I can't think one of them made a decent breakfast which used to be nearly always a banker.

times are bad when you can't find a daycent fry

I dont think they have hash browns, maybe if you ask, I got chips instead with my student breakfast anyway. Definitely a chronic shortage of good breakfasts alright, Im in Bray during the week these days and there's nothing, microwaves and hotlamps everywhere.

amazed, Bray of all places should be a wash with decent cafe's

does the porterhouse in bray do breakfast? or the hotel beside it? can't think of the name now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I spent a bit of time in Bray a in 2010. I used to get a decent breaky in a place on Quinsborough rd. Cant think of the name of it but its just after clancies bar on the left as walking away from the main st.

Was always full leaving that place and they always swapped stuff as I dont eat eggs or shrooms so got extra bacon or sausage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Must try Cafe Sofia, have gone to Yum Yums on Camden Street a few times and generally good for brekkie and lunches at weekend, especially when hungover.
    Novarock, is noshington the place across from Griffith College? If so, I've heard good things but haven't eaten there.
    So thats 2 places i gots to hit up this weekend for brekkie. Great start to the week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I had a full Irish in the Third Space in Smithfield a couple of weeks ago, it was very good quality but I have to admit I prefer less porky sausages. It was 8 quid with tea/coffee and toast.

Inspired by this thread I went to Cafe sofia at lunch time - and they had the hash browns - but I did have to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

PauloConn wrote: »
    Must try Cafe Sofia, have gone to Yum Yums on Camden Street a few times and generally good for brekkie and lunches at weekend, especially when hungover.
    Novarock, is noshington the place across from Griffith College? If so, I've heard good things but haven't eaten there.
    So thats 2 places i gots to hit up this weekend for brekkie. Great start to the week

The very one, I believe either the owner or the chef had something to do with chapter one at some stage..

All fresh made stuff too! Even the black pudding.

novarock wrote: »
    The very one, I believe either the owner or the chef had something to do with chapter one at some stage..

Can recommend the place on scr opposite Griffith College - very nice and top quality - perhaps higher price than the other places mentioned here? But v good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Inspired by this thread I went to Cafe sofia at lunch time - and they had the hash browns - but I did have to ask

I think I shall treat myself this Friday...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Eddie Rockets do an amazing all day brekkie. would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

novarock wrote: »

Really.... well thats it, i know where i'm going for breakfast on Saturday AND Sunday morning now.
    Cheers Novarock

emzolita wrote: »
    Eddie Rockets do an amazing all day brekkie. would highly recommend.

Have had mixed experiences with this

On one occasion in both Terenure and Dame Street it was indeed good stuff

But unfortunately on every other occasion I tried it I was very much disappointed

The bacon was way way overdone and had been left sitting for a long period - I imagine all day.

The eggs were fried - scrambled was not available even though the menu had them as an option

And the hash brown was poor quality - and had clearly just been reheated in the microwave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I despair for places with the hot lamps, simmering there for hours

If I'm paying for breakfast I want it cooked fresh

So I have nothing but good things to say about The Pantry Café under the railway bridge on Talbot St
    Ignore the menu, they'll do whatever you fancy

I also recommend Brams in Marino Mart
    The place does be jammed, if you go there you will be sharing a table but that's no big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

My favourite, by a long shot, is Bewleys in Grafton St. Lovely breakfast, fresh juice, coffee and refills, for a tenner.

Coupled with the lovely surroundings and the excellent table service, it's a most excellent breakfast spot.

Some years back, under previous owners, it was hot lamps and queue up with your tray but it's top notch now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we just had a decent fry-up in finglas village.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Agree on the brekkie in Bewleys on Grafton Street - nice atmosphere, good grub and decent value!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CeluiDuDehors

I've had a few wonderful breakfasts in O'Neills, Suffolk street in the past!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Gerry's on Montague Lane (a road between Wexford / Camden St) does a super breakfast.

Advertisement