Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Quarter Finals General Chit Chat

• 17-06-2012 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

First two Q/F are known

Group A
    1 Czech Republic 6
    2 Greece 4
    Group B
    1 Germany 9
    2 Portugal 6

So Germany v Greece and Czech Republic v Portugal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

mike65 wrote: »
    First two Q/F are known

Group A
    1 Czech Republic 6
    2 Greece 4
    Group B
    1 Germany 9
    2 Portugal 6

So Germany v Greece and Czech Republic v Portugal

It's got to be Portugal and Germany for the semi-finals. Greece will put up a good fight but Germany really look like they haven't even hit top gear yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Got to fancy the two group B sides, but this tournament has not gone to script so far in that regard. Who would have even thought Greece would be here right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'd be interested to see how Pilar does against Pereira.

G.K. wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see how Pilar does against Pereira.

The whole Polish right side seemed to take it in turns fouling him yesterday. I'm guessing there will be an equally "enthusiastic" repeat performance from Portugal in the next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Think the Czechs will give Portugal a really tough game. Could go to ET, or even penalties.

If Greece concede the first goal, they are toast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would like one of the quarters to go to penalties, then one of the semis. Thats it, no more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

So it's:

Czech-Portugal
    Germany-Greece
    Spain-France
    England-Italy

Potential SFs of Portugal-Spain & Germany-England. Those two would be crackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fancy Portugal, Germany, Spain and I just have feeling England will beat Italy

Forget about epic semi-finals. There's some great ties there in the QF's itself. Eng v Ita, Spa v Fra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Think Spain are vulnerable, having not been convincing when they played a team rather than us.

France looked all over the place tonight, but a major plus is the forced change that will see their best defender Laurent Koscielny come in for Mexes.

Their attacking 4 all too often ended up right beside each other about 20 yards out and Benzema rarely stayed in the box.

Will be a good game but only if they play to their capabilities.

• Advertisement

France really need to bring Menez back, not enough directness in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

G.K. wrote: »
    France really need to bring Menez back, not enough directness in the game.

Agreed. Also wondering whether if Cabaye recovers he will bring him back in.

If Cabaye's back I'd drop Diarra out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Like I was saying in the other thread, think Italy will prefer to play against the predictable England side at this stage. Italy are capable of shifting gears (20 min spells) that can totally throw teams off and I can see England struggling here. In a way I'm hoping Prandelli reverts back to 3-5-2 as the players seemed more comfortable with that than the 4-1-3-2 they played vs Ireland. Also, Ireland's setup is pretty much similar to England's so the draw is even more favourable in that regard (and it's good he tried the formation out the other night to test it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Germans look to have an easy enough route to the final now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Fancy Eng to beat Italy 1-0. Think Italy will outplay them but can just see them getting frustrated and England sneaking a breakaway goal. It'll be referred to as a heroic display and the English media will build them up no end for the semi.

Think Spain will have too much for France although they may make heavy weather of it.

With regard to Czech and Port, tipped Czech* and Croatia as semi finalists before it started and would love to get one right :D You'd have to fancy the Portuguese though (although they are limited defensively, I don't expect the Czech's to test them too much). However there is the potential for a shock especially if they can limit the influence of Ronaldo.

Think Germany will tear the Greek's apart if I'm honest in a one-sided affair.

*Actually backed Turkey each way in 08 and was so close but I'll be fuming if Czech make it to semis and I failed to back them. Just had a feeling they could be dark horses with an easy group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

xtal191 wrote: »

Alot of people who have germany backed are going to be very mad you've jinxed it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

xtal191 wrote: »

Greece set themselves up in a very awkward fashion for attacking minded teams like Germany. It is not a given they will go through.

Who is to say either of Italy or England cannot get better, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Renn wrote: »
    Like I was saying in the other thread, think Italy will prefer to play against the predictable England side at this stage. Italy are capable of shifting gears (20 min spells) that can totally throw teams off and I can see England struggling here. In a way I'm hoping Prandelli reverts back to 3-5-2 as the players seemed more comfortable with that than the 4-1-3-2 they played vs Ireland. Also, Ireland's setup is pretty much similar to England's so the draw is even more favourable in that regard (and it's good he tried the formation out the other night to test it).

Just think England have a chance, no pressure on them, Rooney back to give them that little invention that the likes of Ozil gives Germany. Italy look great at times during the tournament but just can't keep it up for the 90mins and didn't always convert goal chances. The way Italy let Croatia back into the group game when they should have buried them by half time should give the English some hope. Chiellini out for the Italians too.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Cant wait for the Bal O'Telly v Terry match up. Hope the Italians beat them. They've already gone a stage too far for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Will M'Vila keep his place in the French side? Blanc seems to be a big fan but i didn't think he was great last night. I would expect him to start myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Prandelli wrote:
    "We have to play more passes," he said. "We have to have more ideas; it is not enough just to win."

Said after the Ireland game. Good to hear from Prandelli - they did lack that bit of spark they had vs Spain and Croatia. Still, they managed to have 67% of the ball and 27 attempts on goal but I see what he's getting at. Pretty much the opposite to England's approach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Looking forward to tonights game, if Portugal can manage a performance similar to the one they provided against the Dutch they should breeze through although this Czech side has recovered well from the 4-1 defeat to Russia on opening night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

England are the most efficient team at Euro 2012 with a shots on target/goal ratio of 4.8/1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

Which of Torres and Balotelli are the likelier to start this weekend and who should accumulate the most points? (for Fantasy League purposes)

Cheers!

Which of Torres and Balotelli are the likelier to start this weekend and who should accumulate the most points? (for Fantasy League purposes)

Cheers!

Hmm, If I was a betting man I'd say Torres.

If both were starting I'd also say Torres could do better against the French defense than Balotelli v Englands.

Plus Balotelli was sub v Ireland, whereas Torres has started last two games and there's even talk going round of the notion that the English defenders know better how to handle Balotelli (not mention how to "wind him up") than they do some of Italys alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Agreed. Also wondering whether if Cabaye recovers he will bring him back in.

Have a feeling Blanc will go Diarra, M'Vila, Cabaye in midfield and put Nasri up with Benzema and Ribery

4-3-3/4-5-1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

kitakyushu wrote: »

Cheers!

Hmm, If I was a betting man I'd say Torres.

If both were starting I'd also say Torres could do better against the French defense than Balotelli v Englands.

Plus Balotelli was sub v Ireland, whereas Torres has started last two games and there's even talk going round of the notion that the English defenders know better how to handle Balotelli (not mention how to "wind him up") than they do some of Italys alternatives.

Cheers mate, opted for Torres, thanks for your help! :)

Advertisement