Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft Match 1: Redzerdrog vs LuckyLloyd

• 17-06-2012 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the Endgame of the Draft. So as to not inundate the forum with this competition, there will be a maximum of 4 matches running at any one time.

The first 4 matches will be the first half of the 'Round of 16', as it were. This match is Redzerdrog vs LuckyLloyd. The match will last for 48 hours, in which time the participants will need to outline their team, basic strategy, and strategy against their opponent.

Also, the voting will take place during this 48 hour period. There will be a poll but only votes with answers developed in a post will be taken into consideration. This development doesn't have to be paragraphs long, even a single sentance is fine. But don't vote until the competitors have had a chance to outline their teams.

Guys, whenever you are ready, begin.

Who wins? (Remember only Developed Answers will be Counted) 7 votes

Redzerdrog
    0%
    LuckyLloyd
    100%
    bohsboyredzerdrogeagle eyedouble GGFishooks12Samichyomtea98 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Team:

Valdes

Arbeloa--Barzagli--Agger--Cole

Khedira
    Rosicky

Ronaldo
    Hagi
    Bale

Shevchenko

General:

The big thing here is obviously the attacking midfield trio of Ronaldo, Bale and Hagi. Simply put, these three on the pitch within this 11 will cause multiple problems for any opposition.

Hagi in his prime was an exquisite player with unparalleled vision. He will provide a fulcrum to unlock the heart of any defense in this competition. He will find space for himself or create it for others, and Ronaldo and Bale are capable of coming of their wings to get on the end of moves through the center. In this sense, while Rosicky and Shevchenko aren't the best players picked in the process, they will fit perfectly here. Shevchenko provides excellent movement and positioning off the ball and is still capable of linking play to runners beyond him, while Rosicky is a great passer with great technique and has the ability to pop up on the end of passing moves through the center of a defense.

But, if that isn't working, then Bale and Ronaldo have the pace and physicality to stretch a defense out wide, beat fullbacks and create havoc from a different angle. Also Ronaldo is a potent threat in the air if left one on one with a fullback on the back post. At times where teams get men behind the ball against us, any of our players will have the ability to deliver a threatening ball from an angle to take advantage of that.

Ultimately, I see a lot of goals in this lineup. The variety on show here should stretch any team, as there are plenty of available playing patterns that can hurt.

================================

Defensively, I feel like I have an excellent goalkeeper, a really well balanced and gifted back four, and a top notch defensive shield sitting infront of them. Agger and Barzagli is a complimentary partenership, and Cole and Arbeloa on either side (Cole particularly) will stand toe to toe with any attacking wingers in this draft. Khedira and Valdes infront and behind are players of the highest pedigree and have spent the last few seasons operating at the business end of the footballing spectrum.

A big problem for my opponents will be the threat I pose on the break. Bale and Ronaldo are luxuries in this regard. They have the pace and ability to stretch a pushed up back line in a split second, and Hagi was supreme in his ability to pick the decisive pass in an instant.

I'll wait to see Redzer's lineup before I comment specifically, but I figure I have at least a chance against any team in this competition.

Finally, having seen the movie Election, I choose to cast a vote for myself right now just incase. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

LuckyLloyd
    abCQrRtang.jpg

sorry about the delay i will post this up for now and will do a write up shortly

after doing a massive write up and somehow lost it fml

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Platini Busquets & Buffon stand out as two big plus points for Redzer imo but its hard to argue against LL side. Perhaps some people will say his CF choice is one but despite his Chelsea debacle ive always held him in very high regard and as he showed for Ukraine if hes got good Supply he can put chances away. Its the AMs of LL that will win out here imo as it will be hard for any side to contain them. I rate Hagi very highly and him and Bale could rack up the assists in this side while Schevchenko and Ronaldo win the games for them. Busquets would really have to be at the top of his game here but I fear he would lose out

my prediction 3-1 to LL, sorry Redzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would have to go with LL's side as well.

His defence is by far the better of the two, and his full backs are two who are ideal for taking top class wide men out of the game, and Red only has one top class wide man in his team.

The two teams are more even in the centre, but LL's team has the better attack by far of the two imho.

Red's team might get a goal but I could see LL's team getting three or four.

4-1 to LL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

LuckyLloyds 3 attacking midfielders and back 4 do it for me. Don't think redzers midfield has enough balance to it either.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd
    GK- Buffon is one of the best GK to play the game and is back to his best

Defence - pereira is a RB I like alot and someone I earmarked at the start. At LB Kadlec is very solid defensively and has had a great year. CB pairing compliment eachother well. Badstuber is a rock and he is Lowes first choice CB for Germany he is a player who is very underrated but has been paramount to bayern and germany over the past 2 years. Kjear has a lot of potential he hasnt had the best club form but has been excellent for denmark.

Midfield - I have the perfect trio. Busquets is the best in the world at what he does and also provides a platform for attacks he has excellent passing and composure. Thiago is a perfect partner he has great vision and passing and can control the game. Then we have Platini, 3 time ballon d'or winner. Say what you like about Michel Platini now, in his prime he was one of the most gifted players to have stepped out onto a football field. His passing, shooting, and dead-ball skills were among the greatest the game has ever seen.

Wingers - Robben is one of the best in the world and while he hasnt set the world alight this tournament he has a goal every 2 games for bayern over the last 2 years. He is always a goal threat and create chances from nothing. Young I feel was a good pick for the later rounds considering players like nani who are on a similur level went 3 rounds previous. He was horrendous against sweden but has actually been in great form for england this year.

CF - I have a man in form and has a great record this year. He is becoming known for one touch finishing and is clinical. All this in teams that dont creat half as much as what me team will.

Overall I have a brilliant goalkeeper. My defence is under rated but all the players compliment eachother well. My midfield will control the game and will dominate possession, they are all capable of creating chances but not only that Platini will also score goals. Wingers will cause havoc they will switch wings regularly and never give the fb a chance to breath both can create and score.Jelavic is perfect to lead the line and will get plenty of chances. I see my team dominating possion but also plenty of goals while still solid defensively with Busquets cleaning up everything in midfield

LuckyLloyd
    my team v lloyds

Goalkeepers - I win this hands down buffon > valdes every day of the week

Fullbacks - LLoyd wins this hands down

CB - is prob a draw badstuber=agger and Kjear=Barzagli although barzagli cant get a game for italy and they have a CM playing CB instead of him.

Midfield- Busquets/Thiago/Platini > Khadeira/rosisky/hagi someone said my midfield is unbalanced:confused: it couldnt be better balanced imo. rosisky is a poor pick and I dont see how LLoyds midfield can win out here. I would have 70% possession here.

Wingers - lloyd wins out here but they cant do much damage is they dont get the ball. With me dominating midfield I cant see these getting much ball

CF - Jelavic > Shevchenko we are judging this on current ablity not the shevchenko of 2004 and imo shev hasnt been the same since he went to chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    my team v lloyds

CB - is prob a draw badstuber=agger and Kjear=Barzagli although barzagli cant get a game for italy and they have a CM playing CB instead of him.

Midfield- Busquets/Thiago/Platini > Khadeira/rosisky/hagi someone said my midfield is unbalanced:confused: it couldnt be better balanced imo. rosisky is a poor pick and I dont see how LLoyds midfield can win out here. I would have 70% possession here.

Wingers - lloyd wins out here but they cant do much damage is they dont get the ball. With me dominating midfield I cant see these getting much ball

CF - Jelavic > Shevchenko we are judging this on current ablity not the shevchenko of 2004 and imo shev hasnt been the same since he went to chelsea

That's because he's injured.

LuckyLloyd
    G.K. wrote: »
    That's because he's injured.

He was on the bench :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Only on his way back from Calf injury .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

LuckyLloyd
    Redzers front 3 is brilliant and could see them causing havoc against LL.

I'm going with Redzer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Not fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I went with LuckyLloyd solid team with Ronaldo and Hagi two great players who could win a game out of nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Tighter than some people are saying but i think Lloyd wins this .

Bale and Ronaldo on the counter will cause redzerdog a lot of problems imo .

my team v lloyds

I disagree with some of this, but I understand that it's all part of the game, and I want to avoid an elongated quote off.
    Samich wrote: »
    Redzers front 3 is brilliant and could see them causing havoc against LL.

I'm going with Redzer

This is Redzer's big problem imo - the fact that this isn't true. Robben / Young / Jelavic is a good combo, and they will put average players to the sword. But My defense is a few notches above average, and I'm not seeing "havoc" from this trio when up against my fullbacks. Jelavic will also find it more difficult playing against Agger and Barzagli than he did Dunne and St. Ledger.

Robben and Young also pose a problem that I am uniquely positioned to take advantage of - it will leave his fullbacks one on one against Bale and Ronaldo a lot. His fullbacks are good, but this is a battle I see myself getting the better of a lot.

Don't get me wrong, Redzer put together a very well balanced side, and his central midfield combination is extremely strong. I do think Khedira is very, very good though, and will limit Platini somewhat. He may end up with more possession over the course of the game, but I think I have far more cutting edge and have the quality to turn ball into chances into goals when the opportunities arise better than Redzer's unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think Llyods team wins in the end, not a foregone conclusion, but they carry the greater forward threat imo and they would be deadly on the counter attack meaning that even if they were to lose the possession battle in midfield, this would possibly play into their hands even with the lightning pace they have on the wings and the undeniable footballing intelligence of Hagi and Sheva.

Robben and Young would not strike fear into the hearts of the central defensive partnership Llyod has picked, Khedeira would provide a very good shield to the defence also, the only weak link in LL team for me is Rosicky, other then that it is very well balanced and would be more then a match for most teams.

I feel with a slightly better forward line the stronger central midfield that redzerdog would be the deciding factor, but the sheer pace and athleticism of the counter attack ability in LL's team means my vote has to go to him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I think LL would take this one quite easily, there's a nice balance to his team while Redz has 3 great midfielders I don't think he has got the balance right. Also Young and Robben wouldn't be solid enough to do the defensive duties needed to keep LL's team quiet.

3-0 to LL

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Both teams have great attacking players and redzer would win the midfield battle, but I think LL wins this based on the fact that his defence would cope much better against redzers attack, as opposed to the other way around.

Right, a quick overview.

Both teams have keepers I rate a lot.

Defense. I like all 4 players in Redzer's defense and I think it's a good combination, largely (Kadlec is much better in the centre imo), but Badstuber apart they simply don't match up to Lloyd's defense, class wise. Lloyd clearly thought this one through, it is a world-class defense all the way through in which all the players complement each other excellently. Very intelligently picked defense.

In midfield, Redzer has good balance, including the best DM in world football (Or certainly the best DM for a posession based team). Thiago's probably a bit raw defensively but is already class going forward and Platini, I'm not sure I need to say anything about. As for Lloyd's he's probably got a better balance. Khedira and Rosicky are a very good partnership, Khedira is an excellent DM for a double-pivote while Rosicky is an absoultely fantastic slide tackler. Perhaps Thiago's a bit better attacking than the Czech but when their defensive contributions are taken into account I think Thiago is so inferior defensively (When he's not playing in a Barcelona 4-3-3 system) that Khedira-Rosicky is a better partnership for the base of a 4-2-3-1 than Busquests-Thiago. Hagi/Platini will offer similar in an attacking and defensive sense, two great players. On the flanks Lloyd is the clear winner - I think Young is overrated and Robben is too inconsistent, selfish and one dimensional (Though I love his skill on the ball when he pulls something off). While Bale is again overrated he's still a cut above Young and Ronaldo...? I don't need to bother. Both flanks offer similar defensive cover too imo.

Up top, I think it's surprisingly closely matched. Both will provide intelligent runs to get in behind the defense, and while Jelavic contributes more defensively and is probably superior in terms of current ability, I don't think there's too much difference here. It will all be about supply here for these 2.

So, to examine the teams against each other.

I think Redzer is misguided over the posession that he expects to have. I actually reckon it'll be a lot closer to 50/50 - and this means the team with the best quality is likely to win out. Set pieces will be close but Lloyd has the edge I think.

Redzer attacking:

Redzer's main attacking looks to come from the attacking midfield 3, with support from Thiago and the fulbacks. Jelavic won't be involved in attacks until the end-stage, but he's a lethal finisher if the ball is slipped into him. He's playing 2 inverted wingers who are much better cutting inside than going down the flanks (Especially in Robben's case, he's no use hugging the right touchline), and his full-backs are nothing special going forward, certainly enough to be marshaleld by Bale (Who was a LB don't forget), and Ronaldo (Which is more of an indictment of Kadlec's attacking than Ronaldo's defending). This will allow Lloyd to narrow his defense, reducing the threat of both the wingers (to pot shots or passes to Platini) and Jelavic, who'll be working in less space and could be forced out wide where he's not of any particular use. Platini of course has that 'X-Factor' about him but with Thiago operating deeper as one of the pivotes as opposed to how Xavi would in Barca's 4-3-3 I think there's enough quality in the middle to stifle Platini, largely. With 2 of the best readers of the game at centre back, Jelavic will get less decent service than he is used to as well. Having siad all of this, and with Lloyd's defense as strong as it is, I can't help but think Platini or Robben will either score through a moment of magic, or set up Jelavic for a goal. But I don't see Redzer scoring really more than once. I think Lloyd's defensive unit is excellent, and the decision to go 4-2-3-1 with Rosicky deeper as opposed to 4-3-3 in order to help Khedira defensively is a masterstroke.

Lloyd attacking:

I think Redzer's CB partnership is a particularly strong one. While it's clearly not on the level of Agger/Barzagli and Kjaer's not had his best club season, I really rate this pairing. Their obvious problem is pace, but given that their natural opponent is Shevchenko that's not necessarily an issue. I think both are strong enough readers of the game to cope with Shevchenko's intelligent runs, but I think they could both be drawn to him, especially if he targets Kjaer, reducing their potency against others. He's not going to score today I don't think but the distraction he'll provide is invaluable. Michal Kadlec seems to have an alarming habit of being drawn into the centre of defense too early. Against Cristiano Ronaldo, that's a worrying habit, and is an area where Lloyd will probably get crucial chances. I like Pereira but I don't think he's anything special. I think Bale probably has enough in his locker to have the beating of him. Defensively Robben is shocking, and Bale will be supported by Ashley Cole - an overload that swings the game even more in Lloyd's favour. On the right Arbeloa's less strong offensively than Cole, and he is met by Young who defends better than Robben. Less is likely to come from any runs from the Spaniard. Lastly there's the middle. Hagi's a fantastic player, but I think on his own Busquets is a match for any player. If Lloyd had picked Veloso or some other DM instead of Rosicky, there'd be a problem, but as Rosicky has this attacking prowess that will probably overwhelm Thiago's defensive game, Busquets won't be able to focus on Hagi and as such both Hagi and Rosicky will be able to make and take chances as the DM tries to plug gaps.

Conclusions:

Both sides have solid (At the very least) defenses, but I think Lloyd's attack will play far better against Red's defense compared to the other way round. The key selection is Rosicky, who is good enough in both attack and defense to solve several problems in Lloyd's team. People point to him as a weak pick but I think he's probably the reason, more than anything else, why Lloyd will come out on top.

So Lloyd to win by several goals. I expect Redzer's team to score once but Lloyd's attack is far more likely to put the ball in the net with a number of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

LLoyd by some distance. A no brainer really. Ronaldo alone wins it for him, nevermind having an awesome keeper and quality ball-playing defenders who not only know how to defend but can rush forward when required. Shevchenko on his day is/was unplayable and I wont even get started on Hagi. I dont like Bale though.
    On the otherhand, I rate Young even lower and I think Buffon is prone to some serious errors. Hence, Lloyd gets my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Lloyd wins this one for me.

Couldn't disagree more with this redzerdrog -
    badstuber=agger and Kjear=Barzagli

Agger and Bazagli are far superior. Badstuber shouldn't be even in the starting XI for the national side IMHO and has been fairly dodgy the good few times I've watched Bayern this past season. Talented yes, but far from the level of the other two at present. Kjear has been poor for Roma a lot of the time. Done alright in the Euros (first two games namely) but Agger has been the key. The full backs of Pereira, who I do like and Kadlec are decent but are not near the class of Ashley Cole and have not put in the clutch performances that Arbeloa has done. Very solid defensive full back. The only thing against Arbeloa would be his lack of game time with Ramos getting the nod at club level and the nod for the national team too if not for Puyol missing out due to injury.

Buffon >>> Valdes for me.

I think I can see what Lloyd was going for with Khedira and Rosicky ala Mascherano and Xabi, likewise with the default of 4-2-3-1 formation Rafa loved, correct me if I'm wrong. Suits the team perfectly but for me, could have done better than Khedira. But Rosicky is grand choice however.
    But it's awfully hard to argue against Ronaldo, Hagi and sigh...... Bale :-/ (one of the footballers I love to hate for numerous reasons, a fair few justified I'll just say that supporting Sheva.

I do prefer the midfield of redzer's to an extent. Busquets for me is the best defensive midfielder in the game, and is criminally underrated by far too many because of his antics. But has Thiago put in enough minutes to justify his inclusion? Not sure. Platini most will know all about. But then there's the wingers.

Now, I have unhealthy hatred some would say (:D) about Robben. People say Ronaldo is a choker!? GFTO. Robben on the other hand, plenty of examples in the past 2 months let alone for club and country that back that up. Ronaldo continually produces despite being a self obsessed numpy a fair bit, same can't be said of Robben. Also very, very much annoys me that defenders show him onto his left leg every single time. Dortmund showed how to defend against him and he did not bother to alter his game. Young, has been good for England in qualifying, but has been very average in the Euros and I'm being kind. He started off the season well for United, but he's been very patch since. If I were a United supporter, I'd want Nani and Valencia starting most times over him.

Onto the forwards, I'm a Sheva fanboi. First to admit that. Adore the guy. But if it's based entirely on the Euros, fair enough, the inclusion of him is just. Jelavic was brilliant for Everton and err, Rangers but not so much for country.

IMO the defence and the three of Hagi, Ronaldo and Bale swing this tie in favour of Lloyd. There is just a better balance I feel with a consistent flow throughout the team even if there a few players I wouldn't have gone for myself. Redzer's defence can be got at and isn't particularly strong and, it can be torn apart on the counter. Buffon and the midfield would need to be at the very top of their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

LL for me - I am loving that front 6. Don't rate Valdes, but i think they'd outscore reds considerably. Jelovic is just not good enough at this level to lead the line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd
    The position of Rosicky is troubling me I have to say. I don't think he is a good tackler and can't see him being very involved at all.

I think Redzer wins the midfield battle all day everyday. Redzer's central defense is awesome and I think he undersold himself saying that his and Lloyds are equal.

Having said all that I just don't see how he can stop LL from scoring when you have Ronaldo, Bale and Hagi coming at you. If we are talking the present Shevchenko he is a bit of a weakness it has to be said.

Redzer has a very good attack too though with Robben and Platini who are phenomenal players but Young and Jelavic for me are not that great.

Its very tight and I'm finding it extremely difficult to decide but in the end its Redzer for me because I think he wins midfield and as a result creates a lot more chances. I'm going Redzer for a 4 to 3 or 2 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I think Lloyd wins this very comfortably. I just cant see Ronaldo being contained. And he has an excellent left back in Cole to deal with the threat Robben brings.

Midfield slightly favours Redzer but this plays into Lloyds hands. Khedira will break up attacks and the sheer pace of Bale and Ronaldo on the counter is going to be terrifying to deal with. Busquets will have so much to deal with even a player of his quality won't be able to stop Lloyds attack.

I'm not crazy about Shevchenko but he has enough about him to be effective in a one off game.

2-0 win for Lloyd.

And yeah, that's an astonishing analysis from GK. Wp sir.

Hot damn G.K! What a write up! Very detailed and well written. The effort you've put into this thing is awesome, thanks so much.

-Ade- wrote: »
    I think I can see what Lloyd was going for with Khedira and Rosicky ala Mascherano and Xabi, likewise with the default of 4-2-3-1 formation Rafa loved, correct me if I'm wrong.

Guilty as charged. :o

In the opening matchup here, LuckyLloyd comes out on top with 13 votes to Redzerdrog's 2.

Congrats to Lloyd, and best of luck to you as you play your next match.

Commiserations to Redzer.

gg Redzer

Advertisement