Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby rice for baby starting solids

Options
  • 17-06-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    We've started our little one on solid foods this week. She's 5 months. We're using the Gina Ford book and were starting apple tomorrow.
    But we've noticed that our little one seems to get really bad pains at night and we think it's down to the baby rice.
    Just wondering if anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

wait until 6 months. Maybe her system is not ready for solids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'd say its the apple more than the baby rice, the rice is designed to be easy on their tums. Of course every child Is different and you know yours best, but I've never had a problem with baby rice, but on both of mine had a problem with apple/fruit in the early stages.

I used sweet potato as a second meal instead of fruit. It's yummy and sweet, gentle on their tums and full of goodness. Just an idea.

If you stick with the rice, swap the apple and she's still not right, then change the rice.

Edit: oh wait, I think I've read wrong...have you started with the apple yet? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd hold off on solids for another week or two if baby rice is giving her pains. Baby rice is the most bland food you could give so she may not be ready for solids yet. A lot of babies aren't ready until nearer to 6 months or even a little after.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Am I right in saying you havent actually tried the apple yet?

I started my 2 boys on spoon feeds(babyrice) when they were just over 5 months.

They didnt take to it very well....but moreso that they didnt like it, than it causing them any discomfort.

If you think your baby is ready for solids, then maybe try one more food. As hannibal said I would be more inclined to go with a veg like sweet potato/butternut squash.
    If there is an issue after trying another food, I would definitely hold off for a couple of weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I never bothered with baby rice, it's pretty stodgy. We started with pear, easy to digest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

pwurple wrote: »
    I never bothered with baby rice, it's pretty stodgy. We started with pear, easy to digest.

We started with pear too. Here in Spain they recommend starting with fruit first. Pear is still my baby's favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

had the same problem with the poxy baby rice, our little one seems to have been in pain, straining, and not very happy. threw it out and started straight with steamed, pureed fruit n veg - and no problems since!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

well when e was around 5 months she started suffering from bad wind at night again. it was before we started her on solids. it continued while on solids and she still has it. phn said it could be just her thing and she will have to grow out of it. however the last few days ive been giving her chamomile tea and i def think it helps. she hasnt been waking at 3am for 2 hours while ive been giving it to her. if she wakes the dummie usually settles her now. i only give around 4/5 syringe fulls a day (5mil syringe) and she loves it. duno if this helps!!!

also i think i would start with sweet potato or carrot aswell;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Thanks folks. She's definitely hungry and seems to love the baby rice. We're on sweet potato end of this week so we might sub it for the rice and see how we get on.
    We tried using viburcol last night and it made a huge difference. She slept and was completely calm with loads of farts this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

The baby rice gave my youngest bad wind...so i switched to fruit and sweet potato and carrot and squash . . now white potato and any fruit give him bad wind..he's 8 months and i'm starting to despair of being able to feed him anything other than the likes of semolina and things.. he LOVES potato and beans mashed but it kills him at night then with pains.. he loves fruit.. especially strawberries and melon and banana.. but again it kills him with pain... i just hope it passes with time.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Thanks folks. She's definitely hungry and seems to love the baby rice. We're on sweet potato end of this week so we might sub it for the rice and see how we get on.
    We tried using viburcol last night and it made a huge difference. She slept and was completely calm with loads of farts this morning!

what is this viburcol you speak of???;):D thats great she had loads of farts in the morning!! its mad what makes us happy now!!:p

Advertisement