Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft Match 2: Blatter vs SirDelboy18

• 17-06-2012 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭

This match is Blatter vs SirDelboy18. The match will last for 48 hours, in which time the participants will need to outline their team, basic strategy, and strategy against their opponent.

Also, the voting will take place during this 48 hour period. There will be a poll but only votes with answers developed in a post will be taken into consideration. This development doesn't have to be paragraphs long, even a single sentance is fine. But don't vote until the competitors have had a chance to outline their teams.

Guys, whenever you are ready, begin.

Who wins? (Remember only Developed Answers will be Counted) 25 votes

Blatter
    0%
    SirDelboy18
    100%
    machiavellianmeeventelefantTrippiextal191redzerdrogkryogencurry-muffAmiraniMoneymakereagle eyeNuri SahinGavRedKingDickertySlipperyPeopleJax TellerFerris_BuellerJunior DBig Pussy BonpensieroCopper_pipe 25 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Right then, I'll get this going.

First off, I'd like to thank G.K for putting this all together and even if I should fall at the first hurdle, it has been a hugely enjoyable experience regardless.

My team - abCQqpAab7.jpg
    Make your football formation with this11.com

And for how I intend to beat Blatter, would probably be best taken in a number of points.

1. If there is one thing you can be sure of with my team, it is that it carries a goal threat throughout the side. Fabregas had 15 goals and 20 assists this season. Ribery had 16 goals and 26 assists this season. Giovinco had 16 goals and 11 assists this season. Bobby Charlton was one of the most prolific goal-scoring midfielders of all time, regularly notching between 15-25 goals per season. That is why I am delighted with Danny leading the line. His work rate is second to none, and while his goal ratio this year isn't comparable to the likes of RVP, Welbeck offers me so much more in terms of willingness to run and put himself about. Add to that his great technical abilities, seen as recently as Friday night, and I have a great player on my hands. Now Blatter's defense has some weaknesses, most notably is Puyol playing at wing-back. There is simply no way that he will be able to cope with the pace of Ribery/Giovinco, who will be interchanging. Also, Gary Cahill is not the most convincing defender in the world. At Bolton this year, he often looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights, and his good performances v Barca/Bayern can be attributed to the way that the team set up. In an open game, I don't think he can be relied upon. I think that Szczesny is not going to be capable of withstanding the barrage which I will inflict on his goal, and has looked shaky on numerous occasions this year.

2. Pedro has had a very poor season and 3-4 good games at its conclusion cannot convince me that he will cause me a lot of trouble in his current form. Balotelli, well can you trust him on the big occasion? I would definitively argue no. His carry on vs Liverpool, vs Tottenham, vs Arsenal, vs Sunderland. If he turns up then, yes he can be effective. But as we have seen as recently as Italys two group games, if not he is a liability. If he doesn't turn up, there is no option to bring on the likes of Di Natale or Tevez. RVP is top dog at Arsenal, and part of why he scores so many is that their game suits him to a tee. I don't think your team will provide him with the chances he needs. Balotelli = 2 assists this season. Montolivo = 4 assists this season. Pedro = 6 assists in all this season. I just can't see enough chances being created for RVP.

3. Scott Parker will provide my attackers with the protection that they need. While his season has tailed off ever so slightly due to clear fatigue, there is no doubting his great ability to disrupt the opposition. His work is extremely unheralded, and having seen him in person on 2 occasions, there is no doubting that he provides the platform for the rest of his side to succeed.

4. My fullbacks are pacey but solid, and my central pairing are two of the most consistent in Europe. Especially in the case of Kos, he is a fantastic defender who is highly under-rated because of the dross which accompanies him at Arsenal.

Game Plan - Parker will sit very deep breaking up and attacks and offering the defense support. My full-backs will be conservative, joining the attacks sporadically leaving the creativity to my front 5. The high workrate of Charlton, Welbeck and Fabregas in particular will enable me to put extra pressure on the midfield and they are more than comfortable in possession when they get it. We have Ribery and Giovinco to offer some width and they can be direct in taking on the full-backs, and they will be an outlet especially when Martinez sits deep to frustrate us in the middle. They can also cut inside and Giovinco is able to drift into a position just behind Danny if Abate or Rakitskiy get forward. Nevertheless, Fabregas and Charlton will be joining in the attacks, and with Danny offering us a great outlet to hold up the ball, I feel that Maldini will be cutting a frustrated figure by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

SirDelboy18
    I don't know what to make of this side. It's well balanced and you have genuine pace and creativity all through the side. Ribery and Giovinco are great choices, they'll be fluid and interchange and cause problems against most full backs. Charlton and Cesc are two unbelievable players, will create, score and pass all day long. Parker has a clear role to play and he'll do it competently enough.

However, i'd seriously question Wellbecks ability to do the job you've set him up to do given the quality of some the defences you'll come up against. Expecting him to get any change against Maldini of all people, is laughable quite frankly. He'll be a nuisance and put himself about sure. Will he do any real damage? Seems unlikely to me.

I'd have reservations about your fullbacks too, Abate had some very dodgy games last season with AC, his defensive attributes are average at best, Rakitisky will not get much protection from Ribery either.

This match could have a few goals in it, interested to see how it plays out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Would also like to thank G.K. for organising this, great work.

My team is as follows:

abCQdLxaeZ.jpg

I might as well reply in a similar format to SirDelboy18's above post. Sorry if it's a bit incoherent, very tired at the moment but want to get this done tonight as I won't be around tomorrow morning.

1. My forward line of Balotelli, RVP and Pedro have 64 goals between them this season and they are being supplied primarily by Toni Kroos who has had a absolutely magnificent season for Bayern. There are rightfully question marks over Balotelli's temperament but the man scored 17 goals in 22 starts for City last season. You cannot argue against the fact that he delivers more often than not and has a fabulous strike rate. For anyone that watches Italian football, they will know that Montolivo is an extremely creative player. He doesn't 'assist' many, in the same way Modric doesn't, but he assists plenty of assists.

3. As for Pedro, he hasn't had a great season overall for numerous reasons. Firstly the fact that Sanchez and Fabregas were signed, provided more difficult competition. But more importantly, he picked up a few niggling injuries and struggled to regain his fitness throughout the season. But there's no denying he's a class player that has 53 goals over he past 3 seasons and hit form towards the end of last, cumulating in 2 goals and a magnificent performance in the Copa del Rey final v Bilbao. I think my attack would create plenty of chances against a defense of Rakitskiy, Koscienly, Ivanovic and Abate, none of which are top tier.

4. Danny Welbeck, while a good player as of now - isn't top tier either. He has a good all round game but is far too goal shy at the moment. Only 25 club career goals and 12 last season despite being first choice on a regular basis for Manchester United underlines this. I think he won't get a sniff up against Maldini and Cahill. I also don't think Giovinco has the quality of Pedro. Ribery I will give you is a quality player, as was Charlton and is Fabregas. Puyol will not being playing as a wing back, just as a right back. His positioning and defensive intelligence will mean he'll always be difficult to get the better of out there. And Puyol isn't slow nowadays either, he's much quicker than what you think. He is highly experienced and accomplished in that position.

5. I really don't think Scott Park is a very good player by any means. He has a poor first touch and isn't technically astute. A typical English midfielder if you will. The fact he is lauded in the English press for his 'passion' and 'bite' is exactly the kind of attitude that has got England where they are today, and that is miles behind the like of Spain and Germany. Javi Martinez on the other hand is an all round quality midfielder and Parker simply won't get near him.

Overall, I think my forward line of Balotelli, RVP and Pedro being supplied by Kroos and Montolivo, will be far too much for SirDelboy18's defence and Parker to handle. On the other hand, I can see my defence, marshalled by the brilliance of Maldini and leadership of Puyol, being largely untroubled by Welbeck, Ribery and Giovinco. I'm confident my side would win this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

SirDelboy18
    Blatters attack is way too strong for Delboys defence . Dont rate Delboys Full backs at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

SirDelboy18
    Think Blatters front 3 will be too strong for DelBoys defenders, RVP is one of the best players available and with Balotelli and Pedro supporting I think they have a lot of goals in them. Good balance to the midfield too in Blatters team, despite Delboy having two stars in Fabregas & Charlton, Blatters seems a bit more balanced IMO. Welbeck v Maldini is another battle where Blatter wins all day. Blatter gets my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

SirDelboy18
    I see delboys team being very narrow and congested in attack and offering no real support out wide in defense. I woul dof played maldini at left back and drafted a decent centre back. Use your best players in their best positions etc. Blatter gets my vote but not convinced by his defense at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

SirDelboy18
    I would have to go with Blatter.
    i think his attack would be too much for delboys defence.
    They are solid enough defenders, but not top class IMO. RVP has had his very best season this year and would run Ivanovic ragged. The last time they came up against each other, RVP got a hat-trick.

Delboy would get some change out of Puyol on pace alone, but Martinez is positioned to the right, so would be the one to come across and sweep up. Id be amazed if wellbeck even got a shot away.

midfield is interesting, as Chalrton would be a massive asset here. In the end though, I think the energy of Kroos would help in a big way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

SirDelboy18
    I think Blatter's midfield, while not poor, isn't good enough to stifle the threat offered by Fabregas and Charlton, who will dominate position. I can see a bit of opportunity for Ribery and Giovinco to cause problems for Blatter's defense. There should be enough opportunities for Welbeck so that he could nick one or two, despite being up against Maldini.

There's certainly goals up the other end of the field though, and in this case I think more than SirDelBoy's squad will be able to manage. Despite having less of the ball, Kroos has options ahead of him that will make space and score goals. RVP won't need the same amount of chances Welbeck will, particularly facing an out of form Mandanda.

Prediction: SirDelBoy18 1-2 Blatter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Not convinced by either defence here, I would agree with the previous poster that Maldini should have been played at left-back. I think Blatters attack would be the stronger of the two. I don't rate Giovinco and think he is far weaker than Blatter's picks. SirDelBoy has the stronger midfield, Montolivo and Martinez look particularly weak here.
    Blatter's front three win it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Not convinced by either defence here, I would agree with the previous poster that Maldini should have been played at left-back. I think Blatters attack would be the stronger of the two. I don't rate Giovinco and think he is far weaker than Blatter's picks. SirDelBoy has the stronger midfield, Montolivo and Martinez look particularly weak here.
    Blatter's front three win it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

SirDelboy18
    Blatter for me, the overall balance of the team is very complete.

The forward line has plenty of pace and power between and create chances, Kroos behind them is an excellent creative midfielder and with J.Martinez in front of the back four it provides a good anchor to stop attacks and launch quick counters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

SirDelboy18
    Blatter.... but only with a gun to my head.

Both sides have some excellent players, but also some dodgey ones.
    Hard to call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

SirDelboy18
    Blatter for me. Quality all over the pitch - Puyol & Maldini pure World Class defence, a great keeper IMO, and plenty of goals and variety in attack.

I do like the idea of Chalton and Cesc together, but Welbeck and Parker are not up to this standard, for me. Maldini would eat Welbeck up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

SirDelboy18
    Blatter for me. I dont fancy Del Boys front 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

SirDelboy18
    Dickerty wrote: »
    I do like the idea of Chalton and Cesc together, but Welbeck and Parker are not up to this standard, for me. Maldini would eat Welbeck up...

Agree with this, and so also plump for Blatter. More quality all round imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

SirDelboy18
    Hard to call, but went for Blatter. Overall I think he has a better team. Delboy has a better midf imo, but RVP, Balotelli and Pedro trumps Ribery, Welbeck and Giovinco everyday of the week and Blatter also has a better defense.

SirDelboy18
    Blatters better defence wins out for me. I'd expect possession to be fairly even, maybe slightly favour Blatter. Parker seems out of his depth vs the quality of player Blatter has and I think Martinez/Montolivio/Kroos will do enough to ensure he's not overrun up against Charlton/Cesc

Puyol will have a tough time against Ribery but I don't see Wellbeck holding up the ball or doing the job he's been set out to do well enough up against someone the calibre of Maldini.

RVP should score against that defence and Pedro's clever movement will be too much for Rakitisky to handle.

A 3-2 win for Blatter.

Trippie wrote: »
    I see delboys team being very narrow and congested in attack and offering no real support out wide in defense. I woul dof played maldini at left back and drafted a decent centre back. Use your best players in their best positions etc. Blatter gets my vote but not convinced by his defense at all

Considered Maldini at left back but felt my centre would be too weak without him. He was probably the greatest left back of all time but also one of the great centre backs, so I don't see the issue. Throughout the 90's he was in a team consisting of Baresi and Costacurta, neither comfortable out left but both excellent in the centre. Maldini was comfortable and superb in both roles, and played left a lot of the time. However he has more than proved himself as an imperious centre back on the many occasions he's played there. Man of the match at centre back in the 2003 CL final.

One thing I really like about my backline is that it's extremely pacey. Schemlzer, Maldini and Cahill are all very, very quick. Puyol, despite his age, is absolutely no slouch either. But any perceived weakness with his legs would be well covered with the pace of Cahill beside him and Martinez protecting.
    Montolivo and Martinez look particularly weak here.

How so?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

SirDelboy18
    Easy choice. Blatter's team.

Mentioned some reasons for not liking Blatter's team, namely in regards to Cahill - until he has a couple of great seasons on the bounce, I'll have some doubts over him. Szczesny as I've stated numerous times, at present, I feel is massively overrated by some quarters. Talented sure, but at present. There are keepers, even younger less experienced keepers who I'd rate far more higher than him. Bit of a shame as that spine could quite easily be the best in the Draft.

Balotelli wide left is a bit of a concern too in regards too attack. Pedro there is a question mark, only due to the fact that he hasn't played much and probably can find himself unlucky with signings last summer and injuries. But at least with them and RVP, there are options to mix up that attack a fair bit in shape.

For Delyboy, Mandana has had a poor season by all accounts for Marseille bar a few performances in the Champions League. CB's are good, Kosc in particular I do rate and Ivanovic is quite good too and is a massive danger for any opposition defence from set pieces both defensively and in an attacking sense. Abate is a good attacking RB but more than suspect defensively. Ratikisky I've seen once this season for club (vs Dynamo Kiev) and he had a mare. Hasn't stoodout for Ukraine in the Euros so far for me anyway.

Cesc and Charlton is very good obviously but Parker is massively overhyped. Again, a good player sure. But that's it. Ribery is excellent and while I like a Giovinco, still not 100% sure about him.

Welbeck is a gamble, and a gamble not worth taking in this. Don't get me wrong, I do like him as a player. I've said as much in the MUFC thread recently. He's done pretty good this season but with some of the defences in this, he wouldn't get much if any change from.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Despite what some have said I found this one pretty tight but think it might be asking a little bit too much of Danny Wellbeck and think Blatter's side are more likely to score so give them a slight advantage. This is despite Delboy imo having a really strong midfield and the current Puyol being not ideal imo for RB. Cant pick a draw though so the front three of Blatter in particular RVP edge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Blatter's side for me. As many have mentioned already I think Blatter has the better defence and his team looks the more balanced of the two, although I think neither team has great balance.

In terms of attacking quality I think it is fairly even, but the difference in the defensive qualities swings it.

4-2 to Blatt's boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

SirDelboy18
    Blatter for me easily

sirdelboys backline is terrible and would have no chance against blatter frontline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

SirDelboy18
    Blatter gets my vote here. great team IMO. as long as you can tame ballotilli and keep him on track. pedro is a brilliant finisher aswell, very under rated. also van persie coming off the back of his best season yet. really like kroos aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

SirDelboy18
    I am voting for Blatter, the front three he has and the fluidity with which they can all interchange with each other would be a nightmare for Del Boys defense, having Javi Martinez to secure the midfield from behind is the kicker, it gives him someone to counter act the influence of Charlton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

SirDelboy18
    I'm not sure which Charlton SirDelboy is referring to, but even if it was the entire Charlton Athletic first 11 it wouldnt be enough to cope with Blatters front 3. Not entirely sure how SirDelboy came to have such a defensively weak team (I dont rate Parker against any skillful players...he'll probably get a yellow/red and be gone) but he loses in every area of the park (bar Fabregas) imo. Blatter all the way for me 5 -0, (super mario, Van P hat trick and Koscielny og).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

SirDelboy18
    I disagree with parts of that ^^^^

But since its not my team I feel I shouldn't be the one to defend it? Best leave to delboy yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SirDelboy18
    I feel there will be a disconnect between the midfield and defense in Sir Delboy's team and for that reason I'm going for Blatter whose attack will score against a defense that for me needs more cover than its getting.

I think Blatter runs into trouble later on in this tournament because I don't like Puyol at all at fullback and I'm not a fan of Cahill either. I think he is very weak on the right side of his defense.

Ah well, gave it a shot, very clear to see in hindsight where I went wrong in terms of picks etc. All the same, think my goal threat is being overly discounted, but I'm not the judge and there is a more than clear winner at this stage.

Congrats Blatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There are questions about Blatter's team. Balotelli and Pedro could be fishes out of water here to some extent, and if Puyol plays as one of the full backs it seems reasonable to wonder whether there will be enough width provided overall. That said, Maldini will make the defense play much better as a unit, and Martinez sitting in front is very strong. Also, RVP is RVP.

Delboy will be very smooth and flowing going forward, and his midfield trio should provide a great platform of possession. His central defensive pairing might be the weakest of the competition, and Mandanda one of the lessor goalkeepers. That is a weakness that Kroos / RVP can exploit.

It's a tough one to call. I think I'll lean to Delboy because Blatter's may end up being a little disjointed. Lack of width and a couple of players playing slightly out of position will do for him in a tight encounter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

WTF? I'm the only one who voted for him. :eek: :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

SirDelboy18
    I'm going with Blatter, his forwards are better than the opposition defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

You can't conceed yet! I've not even started my monster writeup!

G.K. wrote: »
    You can't conceed yet! I've not even started my monster writeup!

Hahaha!

Still love to hear it!

In reality, I think the Rd3 pick was a big error, he would have lasted 2 more rounds anyway. Think that changed it all for me.

I still think I could win the match, but my opinion doesn't count for much now and the people have made their choice.

But please, do the write up - really like to see your view.

I will be doing it, but I'm still finishing Eagle vs ColeTrickle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

SirDelboy18
    Blatter gets my vote, all over his team looks solid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

SirDelboy18
    Blatter slightly better team.Blatters defence is better than dels attack

The writeup will have to come in the morning, I need sleep.

Ah well, gave it a shot, very clear to see in hindsight where I went wrong in terms of picks etc. All the same, think my goal threat is being overly discounted, but I'm not the judge and there is a more than clear winner at this stage.

Congrats Blatter.

Fair play
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I think Blatter runs into trouble later on in this tournament because I don't like Puyol at all at fullback and I'm not a fan of Cahill either. I think he is very weak on the right side of his defense.

Where is the evidence that Puyol represents a weakness at right back?

I've seen him fill in their quite a few times for Barca over the last couple of seasons, and don't recall him being exposed. I remember him at left back against Madrid in the 2011 CL semi final at the Bernabeu, and di Maria hardly got a kick. Barca won 2-0. And that was at left back, he is well known to be more comfortable at right back, which is where I am playing him. The man is highly experienced in the position, and I'd wager he's played close to a couple of hundred senior career games there.

He is solid and has better positioning and a footballing brain that lots of the right backs in the draft, and I don't see any wingers taking him to the cleaners. Wingers like Ribery and Ronaldo would trouble him, but they'd trouble any right back. But even up against the likes of them, Puyol would win his fair share of duels.

Right, a quick overview.

Neither keeper is in the top echelon at the moment, in my view. I like Woj but he's a bit impetuous still sometimes.

There are two defenses I like a lot. Lots of people have identified various issues with most of the fullbacks but I have less of a problem with all of those 'issues'. I also seem to rate Cahill (And Rakititsky) more than some. It's hard to pick between the defenses, I think they are both pretty good.

I like both midfields, they are both fairly similar, and both have strong balance. I think Blatter's team is more likely to dominate posession but there is perhaps more of a goalscoring threat in Delboy's midfield.

As for the forwards, I really like Blatter's lineup, I think it's got excellent balance. Delboy as well, Welbeck is for me an excellent CF and his movement will create space for the runs of other players - that is an intelligent pick (Esp. as a round 10 pick, there aren't many forwards with that good movement available at such a late stage). I'm not sold on Giovinco but Ribery is exceptional.

So, to examine the teams against each other.

Blatter is likely to get a laerger share of posession here. I don't think Delboy would mind though, he's well set up for the counter. Plenty of set-piece capability in both sides.

Blatter attacking:

I feel that when attacking Blatter could gain territory through CM - as good as Parker is I don't think he's technically proficient for the highest level (Esp. against the 3 Blatter has), and I'm unconvinced about Bobby Charlton's defensive game. Given Kroos' positioning the thrust is likely to be through Charlton as opposed to Fabregas, a little thing likely to work in Blatter's favour. Balotelli (Who has been unfairly maligned in the Euros, he was fantastic against Spain) will likely cut inside against an Abate who isn't the strongest defensively, and there'll be Schmelzer on the overlap too to provide an overload. It doesn't help Blatter that there's such a good CB partnership (Especially Kos who is fantastic) in front of RVP but Balotelli (Presuming Schmelzer overlaps) and the Dutchman will certainly give them a lot of trouble. I worry that Pedro might struggle against Rakititsky, but he's an incredibly intelligent player and won't be shut out for the 90 mins. He'll have chances. I expect Kroos (And don't forget Schmelzer) to get involved too, but the front 3 are so talented that they could do a lot of the work on their own. Definitely goals at this end.

Delboy attacking:

With inverted wingers (Who I expect will drift inside more than outside), there's a problem here in that Delboy has said his fullbacks will be conservative. A shame, because both are useful going forward, especially Rakitskiy. I think Balotelli can track Abate if the fullback stays deep in his half, but I won't be expecting him to track back if Abate bombs forward. That said, Schmelzer can handle Abate with Giovinco cutting inside. I see Pedro (Who is superb defensively) helping out Puyol against Ribery, but the Frenchman will undboutedly cause lots of problems. I think Fabregas and Charlton will be big threats but the midfield will do good work neutralising them as well. Maldini/Cahill (And Schmelzer?) vs Giovinco and Welbeck will probably see the defense come out on top but I think Welbeck esp will be a big worry for Cahill. Again I don't see a clean sheet for Blatter, but he is probably better equipped to defend against Delboy's forwards than vice versa.

Conclusion:

I think this will be an incredibly close game, much tighter than the swing of votes suggests. That said, I think Blatter is likely to come out on top by a narrow margin. 2-1 to Blatter.

SirDelboy18
    I agree, the vote count is a grossly misleading score.

Sick analysis again GK.

• Advertisement

Blatter wins by 25 votes to 1 for SirDelboy.

Congratulations to Blatter, best of luck for the rest of the competition.

Commiserations to SirDelboy18.

G.K. wrote: »
    Blatter wins by 25 votes to 1 for SirDelboy.

Congratulations to Blatter, best of luck for the rest of the competition.

Commiserations to SirDelboy18.

Just nicked it..

Advertisement