Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend best evergreen 'tree shrubs' to be placed at front door

Options
  • 17-06-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I want to purchase 'Tree shrubs' that can be placed outside front door. An evergreen, that would have to be trimmed!

I would appreciate some advise on what to go for and want to take in to account

- What colour pots I should plant them in? (my windows & doors are brown with front of house faced with stone - Country style look)

- What type I should purchase (I don't mind paying for two as long as they are good all year around)

- Would appreciate other advice on what I should be aiming for etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

http://www.boxtrees.com/golden-variegated-box-balls.html

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for? Buxus or box is the usual shrub for topiary in pots. Lonicera - looks very similar to box though it is actually a non-flowering honeysuckle. Privet would also do the job, though it is a bit larger leaf and more vigorous than box. Bay laurel is another popular one though I think they are not really hardy enough.

As to pots, well that depends on the look you are going for. You could go with stone effect to match in with your house, or something bright coloured like red to brighten up your brown windows and doors, or elegant like black. You need to consider the shape too, modern and smooth, patterned, curved, it all depends on the look you want.

Whichever you get, make sure there is drainage (holes) in the bottom, put in a layer of stones or polystyrene or something to keep the drainage holes open, fill up with a mix of John Innes soil based compost, you could add some ordinary compost if you want, but don't just use the latter, once it is dry it is difficult to get wet again. Feed once a year, keep watered. Cover the soil with an inch or so of small pebbles to help keep moist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

and a large tray under the pot to tell you when water is needed ;)

Advertisement